0 comments

Kids

The sun is slowly flitting away. Tatenda is exuberant and is enjoying the noise around her. This is the last time they will be assembling to play ball on a weekday, until the next holiday.

The ball charges in her direction. It whizzes past her ear as she ducks. Her team members cheer, “Maflawu-wu-wu!!. Maflawu-wu!!”

There is no place like playing ball on a dusty road without parents hollering at them. It is like their own world, run by them for them.

"Tatenda, is that your mom?"

She stops abruptly midday and is half-dazed when the ball strikes the back of her head. She squints her eyes hard as she can only see the silhouette of the woman. The woman was purposefully striding towards them with a plastic bag in one hand and a handbag in another. Just then, the fading light shines on the horn-rimmed glasses she is wearing...

Tatenda feels her throat dry up, "Tanaka, hande kumba. (Let us go home) MAMA!"

Her little sister drops the plastic ball amidst murmurs from the other team members. Tatenda ignores this and starts sprinting towards home. She untucks her dress. She can hear Tanaka's footfalls as she follows behind breathing heavily.

Tatenda bursts through the gate and lets it swing back dangerously. But Tanaka, knowing the drill ducks in the nick of time. The two sisters fumble with the keys underneath the mat. Tanaka swaps them out of Tatenda’s hands and unlocks the door. The door bangs on the wall with a thud which echoes in the passage of the empty house. The two scramble to switch on the lights and then branch off. One to the kitchen, the other to the lounge room.

Tatenda pushes all dirty plates and cups into a dish. She is careful not to hurt herself or break any glass. She rushes out with the dish to the outside sink. In the lounge room, Tanaka starts to pull down the blankets and sofa cushions they had used to make a makeshift tent. Outside, Tatenda starts furiously scrubbing the plates. She is oblivion to the creaking gate.

Mother smiles as she watches Tatenda. She was much aware that the house was in disarray when she saw those two tearing off from their friends. Whenever all is in order, they would usually run towards her. Whenever all was not well, they would run away from her.

Maswerasei (how was your day) mama.”

“It was great Tatenda. Where is your sister?”

Tatenda rubs a soapy hand over her forehead, “She is inside ma.”

Mama’s fine eye looks over the plates, “Do rewash all these dishes. And make sure they are clean. Do not break my glasses. Utilise the light. It’s getting dark. Once you are done, wash your legs and come inside.”

“But mama…” starts to protest Tatenda.

Mother waves her hand and proceeds inside. Tanaka bolts out of the bedroom grinning, “Maswerasei mama.”

Mother takes one look at her and tries hard to hide the smile, “Ah Tanaka mwanangu (my child) …”

She is covered in dust from the crown of her head to the soles of her feet. Her complexion is completely coated and only her eyes are visible.

********************************

Tatenda sulkily dries the dishes and places them back in the cupboard. She shuffles between the drying rack and the cupboard and her stomach growls. It is because the whole kitchen is waffling mouth-watery scents. Mother is cooking sadza rezViyo (thickened porridge) with beef hifiridzi (beef short ribs mixed with leafy greens). A piece of the beef slips out of the pot while Mother is stirring. Tatenda eyes it with so much intent and swaps out her hand. Mother’s cooking stick meets her hand halfway with a smack!

“Ouch, Mama!”

“I have taught you better Tatenda. Are you done with the dishes?”

“Yes, Mama.”

“Have you checked on your sister?”

“Yes, mama. She is finishing her holiday homework.”

“Ah Tatenda, this should have been done ages ago. I told you to help her during the day when I am not around. All you enjoy is playing, eh? Ko iwe (how about you)? Did you finish yours?”

Tatenda looks down and shuffles uncomfortably on her feet.

“Yes, Mama.”

“Did you cover all the books?”

“Yes, mama. My friends helped me.”

“Good girl!”

Mother refocuses on her pots while Tatenda remains shuffling uncomfortably. She intertwines her arms and clears her throat, “Mama,” she whispers.

Mother does not hear her or pretends not to… “Mama,” she says a little louder.

“Yes, mwanangu?

“C-can I try my uniform again?”

Mother smiles and releases a peal of laughter. She reduces the heat of the stove and looks at her daughter, “Of course Tatenda. Wanonokerwa?”

Tatenda nods her head enthusiastically.

“Tanaka?” calls out Mother.

“Mama?”

“Please come to the bedroom.”

********************

Mother removes the new starched uniforms from the wardrobe. The two sisters squeal with excitement while tapping their new shoes. Mother smiles and helps the girls dress up in the new uniforms. Tatenda and Tanaka take turns to swirl in front of the mirror. Big smiles on their faces echo the happiness in their souls. Mother lovingly looks at them.

“Oh, I am gonna show them. I have a new uniform. They mocked me last term. This time, I am gonna be shining!” exclaims Tanaka as she bows, “Thank you, Mama,” she says with gratitude shining in her eyes. Tatenda chimes in shyly while she flexes her shoulders.

Unfortunately, the mirror can only show forth the beauty of one girl at a time. They start shoving and shouting at one another to get a glimpse of themselves in the mirror, “HEY! Thula wena! (Be quiet)” rebukes Mother.

“She started it!” shrieks Tatenda pushing her sister away.

“TATENDA! Can’t you see she is a child? Tanaka, respect your sister! How many times have I said that? Now Tanaka, apologise to your sister.”

Tanaka fumes, huffs, snorts, and folds her arms. She mutters a sorry underneath her breath. Mother snorts and rises up to take the belt that hangs on the wardrobe.

“I am so sorry Sister Tatenda,” blurts out Tanaka then sincerely apologises.

“Was it that hard? Please take off your uniforms and shoes. Tatenda, I will do your hair. Tanaka, please pack all the books in your satchels. In fact, bring them here first. I would have to check if you covered them properly. Last time, you did it upside down.”

*************************

Tatenda sits between Mother’s feet while Mother plaits her hair.

“Tatenda mwanangu, are you excited to go back to school?”

Tatenda shrugs her shoulders, “Yes mama. I have a new uniform, new shoes, new bag, and new books.”

“Aren’t excited to meet your friends?” asks Mother. She knows that she is now wading into deep waters. Getting information from Tatenda is like trying to hold oily iron balls. She can hear Tatenda taking a deep breath.

“I don’t have many friends.”

Mother sighs. It was a sacrifice to make, “What did you enjoy about this summer holiday?”

“Playing. The cakes you were baking for us. The time Daddy took us to Lunar Park. Mama, is Daddy coming back?”

Mother sighs again, “Yes mwanangu. He is coming. Probably this weekend. Who are your friends at school? Aren’t you excited to meet them after such a long break?”

Tatenda pulls her knees to her chin, “I am short Mama. They make fun of me and my height and call me names And they do make fun of me because of my shoe size.”

Mother lovingly pats Tatenda, “Oh baby, you are not short. Abba Father sees you as a giant. And your shoe size is for unique girls. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.”

“Thank you, Mama,”.

“I am now done with your hair. Please get Tanaka so that we can pray. You both need to have an early light out. Tomorrow is school.”

                     ******************************

Tatenda lies awake after Mama turns off the lights. Tomorrow is school. She is going to meet her friend Nomatter and show off her new uniform and new shoes. After that, Nomatter will probably tell her about the amazing holiday they had in Victoria Falls. She will probably show her some new stuff her parents brought her. Will she let her borrow her glitter pen again? Anyway, she has to think of what to write this time again. The Teacher always has that essay both in Shona and English: Zvandakaita pazororo/ What I did during the holidays?

She can no longer write about going to the rural areas to see her grandmother. She cannot write about playing with her pet – she did not get a dog. Well, she will probably write about fighting with Tanaka. After all, they fought, every day and made up. Yes, she will write about her talkative little sweet sister.

She hopes that she will be able to sleep. She just wants to wear a uniform…...

                        **********************************

September 08, 2023 06:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.