"Who Are You?"

Submitted into Contest #169 in response to: Write about someone finding a monster under their bed.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Kids

Who Are You?

As baby J sits at the table in his highchair, Charlie and Julie set the bowls of food on the table as they sit down to eat. Storm’s mom, Julie, pauses from sitting down and goes to the stairway. “Storm! Dinner is on the table. Come eat.” Storm was in his clothes, looking for his favorite sweatshirt in the hope of going out in the backyard after dinner to play with the baseball and bat his dad had brought for his birthday. Storm paused for a moment and rushed to the door. “I am coming, mom!” Storm goes back into the closet, and his face lights up with a smile as he looks at the floor. As he put on his sweatshirt, he looked at the bed where he had thought he had put his hat. “Storm! I’m not going to call you again!” Storm came rushing down the stairs. “Slow down, son, we don’t want you to hurt yourself.” said his dad as he placed food on J’s plate. Taking a second look at Storm’s, his dad notices him having his favorite sweatshirt on and looks at his mom with a smile. As he adjusts his chair at the table, “I take it that you want to play baseball after dinner, son.” Storm’s face lighted up” can we, dad?” The look on his dad’s face causes him to hold his head down, looking at his plate.

“Am sorry, son, but I have to take care of some business for grandpa,” said his dad. Looking at his watch, “I need to leave now. Excuse me.” He reaches over and kisses Julie and the baby. Then stooped down next to Storm. “Champ, we will go to the ballpark this weekend. I promise, Champ. Love you.” said his dad. He paused and grabbed Storm by the shoulder, getting his attention. “Clean that room.”

That evening, as Storm’s mom finishes the dishes, she leans over the kitchen sink and smiles as she watches Storm play. Noticing the sun going down, she looks at the clock on the wall. She leaned back over the kitchen sink.

“Storm, you have to clean your room!” “Oh, mom,” said Storm. “Get in here, Storm, and clean your room, said his mom. Storm drops the baseball and bat and rushes into the kitchen.

“But mom, I-.”

 “Don’t start, Strom. Go bring in your baseball and bat and go clean your room. The last thing you want under your bed is a monster,” said his mom. “A monster!” said Storm. Yes, a monster, said his mom.

 “There is no such thing, mom. Other than people who do bad things could be considered a monster,” said Storm.

 “You want to produce one from disobedience,” said Storm’s mom. Storm went outside and got his baseball and bat. When he came back inside, his mom had a plate of her famous lemon cookie on a plate held out to him that was still warm. Storm went to his room with a smile as he grabbed one. “Thanks, mom.” Storm busts into his room and throws himself on the bed as he enjoys his cookie. After Storm finished, he fell to the floor and looked under his bed. He begins to pull out the things that are under his bed. The first thing that he pulled out was his old favorite fire truck. He took a minute, sat, looked at it, and began playing with it, enjoying the sirens' sounds. Then Storm put it to the side, reached under the bed, and pulled out a car he had been looking for. “I wonder where you were.” Suddenly it was snatched from his hands. Storm’s eyes widen as he jumps back from the bed, as his heart begins to race. Mom! Mom!” After a few minutes, Storm slowly returned to the bed and pulled up the blanket. “Ahhh!” “Ahhh,” said Storm. “Who are you,” said Storm. “Who are you?” said the Monster. “You’re a monster,” said Storm. “What’s a monster?” said the Monster. “You!” said Storm. “That’s not what my mother called me.”

Storm’s mom comes to the door. “Storm.” Storm jumps up from the floor and grabs his mom’s arms. “Mom, you were right; there is a monster under my bed. But he said that his name is not a monster; come see,” said Storm. “Storm!” said his mom as he pulled her to the bed. “Maybe you can get the monster or whatever his name is to help you finish cleaning this room,” said his mom. “You don’t believe me?” said Storm.

 “It’s not that I don’t believe you; it’s just that I shouldn’t put that idea into your head. The mind is a powerful thing.”

Eventually, Storm’s mom got him to claim down and ready for bed as she helped him clean up his room. She convinced him it was safe to get in his bed and promised to come in and check on him later to make sure he was okay. As she usually did. When she left Storm’s room, she left the door a little more open than usual. Storm listens carefully to hear his mom go down the stairs and immediately jumps out of his bed to his chair.

Storm lay in his chair, watching the stars twinkle in the night as he tried to resist falling asleep. When his mom sticks her head in the door to check on Storm, Storm is sleeping with his flashlight in his hand and his bat at his side. “Storm!” Storm’s mom rushes to him as his father comes behind her. “What is it, Julie?” said his dad. “Why is he sleeping in that chair with a bat?” “He believes there’s a monster under his bed. “Where did he get that idea,” said His dad. “Don’t ask.” His dad scooped him up in his arms, placed him back in his bed, and closed the door. “Good night, Champ.”


Six o’clock in the morning the next day, Storm waking up in his bed surprised him. Storm jumped to the floor, grabbed his bat, and ran to the chair. After a while, Storm slowly went toward the bed with the bat held up in his hand, ready to hit. “Storm.” Storm’s mom comes to the door, “What are you doing?” Storm put the bat to the floor. “Mom, there’s a monster under my bed. Storm’s mom immediately sits on the floor to look under the bed. “Mom, don’t! Let’s get dad for backup!” His mom goes under the bed and comes out on the other side as Storm stands nervously by. “Mom!” She suddenly jumps up from the floor. “See, there is no monster under your bed. Get dressed; breakfast is ready.”

Storm hesitantly gets his clothing out of the closet and throws them on the bed. Then he takes off his sleeping shirt and throws it on the floor as he reaches for his shirt on the bed. Storm paused at the moving of his sleeping shirt on the floor. Storm slowly moves away from the bed and takes a deep breath. “I’m not afraid of you. Come out!” Storm’s shirt quickly disappears under the bed, and he jumps to the floor, quickly reaching under the bed, grabbing hold of the shirt, and pulling it from under the bed. “Let it go,” yelled Storm. The monster let it go, and Storm fall backward on the floor. “Come out,” yelled Storm. The monster slowly comes from under the bed with pants, one shoe, a hat, and no shirt. Storm asked him, “Why are you under my bed? The monster replied, “I’m not. It’s all in your head.” Storm paused for a moment as he began to reflect.

Therefore, Storm’s parents and baby brother are downstairs having breakfast. “Storm!” said his mom. “Get down here for breakfast!”

“We’re coming,” said Storm.

“We,” said his parents as they sat there with confused looks and the sound of bumping in the air. “What is he doing up there?” said his dad as he got up from the table. Just then, his mom looks up and drops the baby spoon from her hand and her mouth open, and Storm’s father drops to his seat, “Here we are! His name is Purr.”

Storm’s dad suddenly reacts by grabbing the baby and his wife and running out the door with them as Storm and Purr stands there observing. Suddenly Storm is grabbed and, under his dad’s arms, rushes out the door. “I told you there was a monster under my bed,” said Storm.

Therefore, as they stood outside on the sidewalk staring at the house, his mom was on the phone trying to explain to the police department. Getting nowhere, the dad grabs the phone from her, and Storm tries to get their attention. “Dad! Dad, look!” Pausing, his dad and mom look towards the house. Purr comes out of the house with a suitcase, looks toward them, tilts his hat, and is suddenly drawn into the air surrounded by bright lights. After a moment of silence. “Dad, can we eat now? I’m hungry.” His dad replied, “Yes, Champ.”


October 29, 2022 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.