0 comments

Fiction Suspense

The forest is magical, thought Julie. She dazed out the car window. Thinking of all the adventures she could have here. She'll find a portal to another realm, become best friends with the fairies and magical talking animals that live there. They'll have an important mission to find the missing crown of the fairy queen, who will congratulate them by throwing them a party. Julie will dance with her new friends till sunrise, eating fluffy pastries with bowls of ice-

"If you don't stop. I'm shoving you out of the car, while it's still moving, Amanda yelled from the middle seats of the car.

"Mom! She just threatened to kill me!" Sammy yells in between Everett and Amanda.

Blinking repeatedly, Julie stares ahead at the exact moment the car turns right to reveal the house. She grasps, eyes going wide. It's like a scene from the fairy tales Mom reads to me.

The two story wooden house sits in the center surrounded by the oak trees built from it. Baby blue curtains cover four windows, blocking the view on the inside. A porch swing is in the shade of the trees, color roses, poppies, and daisies are planted all over the front of the porch. Patches of sunlight hitting the house adds to the cozy and peaceful feeling.

"There will be no threats of killing anyone. We're here now," their Dad shouts over the fighting.

"Finally," groans Everett.

Sammy has been annoying everyone in the car since the afternoon, even Tommy, his twin, kicked him out from the back seats to the middle. With all the fights, shouting, and seat switching, an extra forty minutes was added to a five hour drive. Their poor dog, Max, tired of all the noise has been laying on the car floor for peace.

"Don't just head towards the house. Grab something first," Dad says, unbuckling his seatbelt.

Julie reaches for Max, but Tommy beats her to it. Both of them jumped out as if the car was on fire. As the youngest, she was the last to exit. Rolling her pink suitcase with butterflies, she stares at the house. Again, wondering if there's a secret portal inside.

"What do you think of the house, Julie?" her Mom asked behind her. Knowing the answer before her daughter answers.

Grinning, "I love it. It's beautiful and magical. Mom, do you think there's a secret in the house?"

"Well, I don't know. You'll have to find them if there are any."

Julie's love for anything fantasy and her powerful ability to daydream intensely has come from her Mom, who's an editor for children's books. Every night she would read to Julie, a ritual they both enjoy.

Her Mom unlocks the door, creaking, the first sign of the house coming to life. The house is musty and warm, from months of no habitats and the Summer heat.

"I'm glad you will have a fun time here," pointedly looking at her older kids.

The house has no internet, but is a few miles from the town, and walking distance to the lake. They thought it was a good idea, "family time," they called it. For two weeks. Four pairs of rolled eyes head in different directions.

After a day and half of searching, inside and outside. There is no magical portal to another realm. Not through a magical wardrobe, hidden small door, hole in the tree, nothing. Julie even tried a series of knocks on trees, hoping a door would shimmer open. But what she did find were perfect hiding places that only got her size. A tip to get your older siblings to agree to do something, is to get the oldest first. The rest will follow.

"Ever!" She burst into Everetts' room. Being the oldest and sixteen, he got a room to himself, while the rest shared.

Noticing he's bent over his desk with headphones on, Julie wickedly smiles. She never lets an opportunity to scare her brothers and sister go to waste. It's hilarious to know she, an eight year old, managed to scare them.

Stealthy tip toeing, crossing the room. She stands behind him, and sees his sketch. The forest, but darker and scarier. Hands slowly rising, Julie yells, shaking him crazily.

Everett bolts up from his chair, banging his knees and knocking the chair over at the same time. The pencil rolling to the floor. Julie kneels over laughing.

"Not funny, Julie. I was sketching," removing his headphones, eyes narrowed.

Remembering why she came in, slaps her hands over her mouth. Another tip is not to get the oldest sibling mad before agreeing to whatever you want.

"I wanted to ask if we could play Hide and Seek? Please?"

"I'm busy. Maybe tomorrow," he says, righting his chair.

"No, now. Please Ever. I'm bored."

"Don't you have dolls to play with? Or, go play pretend outside?"

"But, I want to play Hide and Seek. Come on?"

Frowning at the squiggly he made, he carefully erases it. Blazing red eyes, Julie didn't notice before, catches her attention. A shadow figure looks in the background, blending in. Not wanting to have nightmares later, she turns away.

"Please, Everett? Pleassss?" tugging his sleeve.

"Okay, okay. Fine."

Julie hops around, hooting. Not noticing Everett glancing back at his drawing.

Julie bangs open the door to Amanda and her room, screaming. Knowing she was reading, and easily scared. Cause, whenever Amanda reads, the whole world disappears.

Amanda yelps, dropping the book on her lap.

"I scared you. I scared you," beaming triumphantly.

"Hey, Julie wants to play Hide and Seek."

I'm reading. Go ask Tommy and Sammy."

"No! You have to play too. Come play!"

"Yeah, Mandy," Everett leaned into Amanda's ear. Then pulls back, eyebrows raise. Amanda grins, nodding.

Too happy, Julie didn't wonder what Everett told Amanda. Two down, two to go. Running downstairs, she heads for the backyard. On the way, she hears her parents talking in the kitchen.

"We're gonna play Hide and Seek," jumping over the spring door, landing with a thud.

"Who says," Tommy asks.

"I do."

"I don't want to play. It's a boring game," Sammy said. Sammy is always the first to be found. He gets bored easily and starts switching spots. Or just give ups, announcing where he is.

"No, Sam. It'll be fun," Everett says. Amanda and him whisper in Tommy and Sammy's ears.

"Okay, I'll play."

"You all hide and I'll count. But, the rule is no hiding inside the house," Everett walks to a nearby oak tree.

Julie shoots off running. She hears pounding feets behind her and giggles. Running, she comes up with a place to hide. The lake, she could hide there. Deep greens and browns blurred by, crunching, under her feet, and birds chirping happily above her.

The forest is no match against blocking out the insistent sun. Providing little shade. Huffing, she slows her pace. Sweat dribbles down her brow, wiping it with the back of her hand. With the heat wrapping her around her like a blanket, and the sun blinding her, Julie imagines cannonballing into the lake. But, can't, cause she's not allowed to go swimming by herself. She could splash her face though. If she could find it. Her Dad said it wasn't too far. Groaning, she shoves back loose strands of hair escaping her braid.

Snap.

Quickly, she hides behind a tree. Hating her eight year old legs couldn't take her further. Too bad she could run faster before Everett started seeking. Julie tries shrinking down into the cool dirt. As long as she's not first found, it's all fine.

Hearing nothing but the birds chatting and leaves rustling, she stands up. Probably somebody also making their way to the lake. So, then it must be close. Julie continues the same way she's been traveling. Frustrated, hot, and bored, it doesn't take her long imagining eleves having a secret meeting in this forest. Discussing their battle plans to defend the trolls from taking their land.

After several minutes of finding nothing, decided to hide among a small field of wildflowers. Mostly, so she could pick them and place them in her hair. Twirling around, dancing, she almost didn't hear it.

Snap.

Running towards a tree. Holding her breathing, waiting for one of her brothers or sister to shout they found her. Cause, she wasn't fast or sneaky enough without being seen. But there's nothing. Strange. Julie should have heard someone by now. Sammy, definitely at least. Maybe she wandered too far.

Still caring if Julie gets caught, peek around the tree. No one. Just nature, animals, and insects. Frowning, she walks back home, checking her surroundings. Luckily the sun is still out, in the middle of the sky. Telling herself she's not afraid, just bored and thirsty, picks up her pace.

But, walking a few feet realizes this is not the way she came from. Heading back to the small field, Julie scans her surroundings. Puffing her cheeks, she rubs her face, trying to remember which way she came from. She should have paid attention to where she was going, instead of daydreaming like always. Her parents always did too much.

Snap.

Again, a twig snaps in half. Stomach flipping, she shoots off straight ahead. Why does she keep hearing a twig snapping? Is someone taking a walk through the forest, lost too? Or following her? The image of Everett drawing popped into her mind. The shadow figure. In every fairytale there is always an evil that the heroes have to defeat. Shaking her head, tells herself she's being silly. Not real.

Snap.

It's following her! "Mom! Dad!" Julie holler.

Where is the house? Snapping her head from side to side, all she sees is a sea of deep green and brown. Trees, bushes, and rocks. How could she find the house anyway when it blends in with the forest.

"Everett? Amanda? Tommy? Sammy?"

Snap.

How did it get in front of her? It's corning her. She considered climbing a tree, but figured she wouldn't reach. Heart jumping in her chest, Julie runs harder.

Snap. Snap. Snap. Snap.

She's trapped! "Daddy! Mommy!"

Jumping out at all her sides they scream, roar, and growl.

Dropping her arms covering her face, stares shocked at her siblings laughing their butts off. Rage boils inside. They tricked her! They scared her on purpose!

"Payback, Julie," Everett smirks.

Fists clenching, she thinks about throwing rocks at them. But, a better idea pops into her head.

Smiling sweetly, "I'm telling Dad and Mom," sprinting off.

Faces going sober, they race after her.

June 10, 2022 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.