2 comments

General

There they were, brightly shining in the sky, high above the rest of the world. White and glistening like diamonds in a mine. How rare and precious the sight of them was and completely untouchable by humankind. If only the clouds were not in the way, hiding them from her sight, Nove would stare at them forever. Being fifteen was hard she thought, looking away from the night sky not that she could even see anything. Once again the weather report was wrong which meant she would have to wait for the clouds to clear. 

It was easy being fourteen Nova thought because she was still able to dream of leaving this world and going to the one place she believed she would fit in. Out there dancing among the stars floating in zero gravity with no one to stop her. It would be dangerous and exciting doing something that most people were too afraid to do and head out toward the unknown. But all of a sudden. Those dreams were now fading. Nothing more but a memory of the past. Would it be so difficult for time to speed up? Nova closed her eyes, respect of her belief and dreams, the ability to do whatever she wanted and no one to hold her back. She couldn't wait to grow up because it would mean there would be no one to stop holding her back. 

Being 13 was easier she thought as she remembers how her parent brought her first telescope for her birthday. Every day since Nova would gaze up at the sky counting the day down until she would go on her greatest adventure. She opened her eye's. One of her teachers asked if that her dream was to go to the moon. People had already been on the moon before her. So the answer was no because she wanted to go even further than that. Somewhere no one would reach her. She wanted to leave this universe. It was a big dream for someone so young. It would be difficult people would tell her with big smiles on their faces. It was funny how quickly people attitudes towards others dreams changes you get older because all of a sudden those same people were taking that dream away. She had begun walking on this path she had dreamed about since the age of seven. But now she could see a line of the people. They were supposed to be encouraging her, now they were blocking that path. It was an impossible goal that must be stopped now. 

That's why being 12 was better than when she was 13. Going to the museum isn't a place all kids her age wanted to go. But if there was one place on earth she would want to stay it was definitely this museum so big and filled with a tremendous amount of information from the first rocket launched to the most recent discovery's. Everything she wanted to know was right here. People would laugh when they heard her dream it was good to dream for a kid, this phase would end soon, this girl with a big imagination will come back to earth and realise the reality. It was cute to see kids still having big dreams but impossible. That's what people would think of her dream some people aren't as obvious. It is still pretty easy to see the people who truly believe in you compared to those who just say it for the sake of saying it.

It was probably when she was 11 that she realised people thought she was strange to dream of such thing's that seemed impossible. Her older brother was the one who showed her the truth compared to the fake and he was the one who destroyed the happiness she got from fake praise, people acting as they believed in her when they didn't he was 7 years older than her and was aiming to become a professional footballer. There are people in this world who will tell you that you can do anything you want in the world. These people are liars.

Some people will encourage you to do anything you want only to turn their backs and laugh at you. He was used to it. He explained to her that even though he wanted to become a professional most of the people encouraging him didn't believe in what he could do. He told her that people will always encourage her whether they believe in you or not. People will try and take credit for what you do by saying they had always been there. But what they say should not matter. The moment you start to listen to what everyone else thinks of you it the moment the path becomes blocked because it just to difficult. Sure you can do anything you want but becoming successful at it is another question altogether.

One thing to remember is that you can do anything you want as long as you but in effort hard work and never give up.  

It almost like reality suddenly woke her up because Nova found herself looking up at the sky painted with brilliant shimmering stars. She was almost 16. It was time for her to grow up and focus on her studies, become just like every other person. Follow what society wanted and never step out of line. It was time to stop walking on this path that was now blocked and find a new way. Maybe she could work in an office or a big company. However, that wasn't what she wanted. She would put in the effort and hard work needed to become the best. She would be the last person to give up and because of this, she would be able to do the one thing she wanted to do. She looked through her telescope and looking at the moon. she would be the first person to go where everyone else was too afraid to go. Because she would get over any obstacles in her way and never give up she would go further than anyone else.

Of course, anyone who also doesn't give up would be free to join her on her one true adventure made for only those who work hard put in the effort and never give up. After all, the truly successful one journeys have already been written in the stars for all to see.

July 22, 2020 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Batool Hussain
17:23 Jul 22, 2020

Wow! This is so good. Coincidentally, I wrote this week's story on the very same prompt. Mind checking out my story and sharing your views on it? Thanks.

Reply

Reannah De Souza
17:15 Jul 23, 2020

Sure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.