0 comments

Fiction Friendship High School

It was October 2005.

It was a warm and misty Halloween night. There was a Halloween festival at the High School in town of Pine Beach, Delaware. There were patrons and staff of all ages and races, in all manner of Halloween costume, ranging from cute to creepy.

Five kids attended the school festival together in a group. There were two girls, a goth white girl named Nicole and an African American girl named Keisha, and three boys, a goth boy named Bernard (Or Burn as he preferred to be called), an African American boy named Gary, and a heavyset white boy with red hair and brown eyes named Tate.

They were waiting for a friend named Clark.

Clark's family was moving to Chicago next week so his father who sold Cell Phones for a Cell Phone company could start his job as the manager of a new Cell Phone store manager being built there. The next week, Clark would take the week off from school so he could help his family pack up before the flight, so Clark's parents paid for him to attend the School Halloween Festival since it would be his last one at Pine Beach, and they had just finished exploring one of three "Haunted Houses".

"Keisha and I are going to go on the Ferris wheel." Gary said.

"I think Tate, Berard and I are going to explore the hall of mirrors. What do you think, Bernard?"

"Call me Burn!" Bernard said.

"I'll go on the "Speedy Swing" and meet up with you guys at the house of mirrors" Clark said.

So the group split up. Clark rode the "Speedy Swing" ride. After the ride was over, Clark passed by a "Fortune Teller" Tent. A voice within beckoned him "Come inside, boy. Have your Future changed!"

It sounded like a waste of time at best, and a bad idea at worst, but in spite of his better judgement, Clark found himself walking into the Fortune Teller Tent.

Inside the Fortune Teller Tent, there was a woman dressed up for Halloween as a Witch seated in front of a Crystal Ball on the table. Next to the table was a small cauldron. The woman in the Witch Costume said "Welcome, Young man! What's your name?"

"It's Clark...Clark Spencer." Clark answered.

"Welcome to my shack, Clark! I shall peer into my Crystal Ball to see your future!" Said the Woman in the Witch costume.

A black fog cloud generated inside of the Crystal Ball.

"Oh, dear. The Crystal Ball says that you will have a great Transition ahead of you in your future." Said the Woman dressed as a Witch for Halloween.

"Yeah, well, my family is moving us to Chicago for my Dad to keep working at his Job." Clark answered sadly.

"And you don't want to move, do you?" The Woman said.

Clark hung his head low and nodded.

"What if I said there was a way that you could stay in Pine Beach?" The Woman dressed as a Witch proposed.

"I'd give anything to not have to move to Chicago!" Clark said.

The Woman in a Witch costume held a dried out lizard over the cauldron and turned to face the boy. "Now then, Clark, just say the word and I will drop this Gecko and your family won't have to move out of town...but there will be a catch!" Explained the Witchy Woman.

"A catch? What kind of catch?" Clark asked.

"You and your friends will lose all memory of ever being friends with one another. It will be like you had never even met each other in the first place. Do you still want me to perform the Spell?"

Clark was more than certain that this was all just a harmless act for show, so he was not expecting for anything to change in any significant way, so he would agree to humor this actress.

"I would like you to proceed with the Spell." Clark said, playing along with the show.

The Woman dressed in a Witch Costume for Halloween put the lizard in the cauldron, rubbed two dry sticks together until a flame came out, and set fire to the dried lizard in the Cauldron. She then blew the smoke towards Clark's face, who then choked on the fumes of the smoke.

"Tomorrow, you will not remember ever being friends with any of your friends, and you won't remember ever having this conversation with me, either, but you will be able to stay in Pine Beach. Enjoy the rest of your night, Clark Spencer!" Said the woman dressed in a Witch costume for Halloween.

Clark walked out of the Fortune Teller Tent and he met up with Keisha, Tate, Burn, and Nicole. They went to the House of Mirrors, went on the Tilt-O-Whirl, carved pumpkins, and made their own custom Candied Apples at the "Make your own Candy Apple" buffet line. After the Costume Parade, everybody left the Festival with Goodie Bags filled with Candy.

Later that night, Clark was too nervous about the impending move, that he just laid on his back on his bed, staying awake until he finally fell asleep 2 in the morning out of sheer exhaustion.

Unbeknownst to him, the silhouette of a Witch on a broom flew over the sky in front of the full moon. She stopped to look down at Clark's house, then continued on her Broomstick flight.

The next day Clark woke up feeling surprisingly at ease. Everything felt oddly right with the world. When he walked down the stairs into the kitchen, he saw that his father and his mother were seated at the Kitchen table waiting for him.

"Clark, have a seat. We have some news...." said Clark's mother, Betty.

"What is it?" Clark asked, having a seat at the table.

"Son, we won fifteen thousand dollars off of a lottery ticket. So we've decided to stay here in Pine Beach." Betty answered.

"But what about Dads job?"

"I've decided to found my own car repair business with the money we won. Circuitron can shove it!" Clark's dad Mark said.

Clark needed a moment to process this information. That evening the family went out for dinner to celebrate. The next Monday Clark went to school, and he felt like he didn't know anybody there. He bumped into a Goth Girl in the hall.

"I'm sorry, miss. I didn't see you coming!" Clark said.

"It's alright. My name is Nicole, but my friends call me Nick." The Goth girl said.

"My name is Clark. Nice to meet you." Clark answered.

Later at lunch, Clark sat next to an African American boy. Clark saw that the African American boy had a Fruit Roll up with his lunch, whereas Clark had a Dunkaroos.

"Would you like to trade desserts?" Ckark asked.

"Sure! Say, what's your name?"

"I'm Clark! Clark Spencer!"

"I'm Gary! Gary Brown!"

It was then an African American girl sat down next to Gary.

"Hey, baby!" Said the girl.

"Hey, honey! Clark, this is my girlfriend Keisha!" Gary replied.

Nicole then sat down at the table.

"Oh, hey Clark! You're friends with Gary and Keisha too? Small world..." Nicole said.

A Goth boy sat next to Nicole.

"Clark, I'd like you to meet my brother Bernard." Nicole said.

"It's Burn!" Bernard said.

"Nice to meet you Burn. I'm Clark." Clark greeted.

A heavyset boy with red hair sat down at the table. The redhead said "You must be new here! My name is Tatum, but everyone calls me Tate!" He said.

"I'm Clark! Clark Spencer!" Clark greeted.

"Hey, would you like to come to the Aecade with us after school today?" Keisha asked.

"Sure! Sounds like fun!" Clark answered

June 03, 2021 01:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.