1 comment

General

To feel a vague, sweet gladness, and he was aware of wild yearnings and stirrings for he knew not what. Sometimes he pursued the call into the forest, looking for it as though it were a tangible thing, barking softly or defiantly, as the mood might dictate. He would thrust his nose into the cool wood moss, or into the black soil where long grasses grew, and snort with joy at the flat earth smells; or he would crouch for hours, as if in concealment, behind fungus-covered trunks of fallen trees, wide-eyed and wide-eared to all that moved and sounded about him. It might be, lying thus, that he hoped to surprise this call he could not understand. But he did not know what was hidden in these pleasures as he experienced to relish them once in a month.

…………………………………………………………….

What dangers awaited him? Sam Rogers was never happy about the challenge of his elder brother. Of course he was more bulky and active than Rogers.

He didn't need to go to any fitness gym or use those modern methods to exercise. Instead all the traditional methods were sufficient for them to swell his big and hefty muscles and despite being living in a small village the daily chores of monitoring the animals and aiding our old father in harvesting the field. As for me I wasn't entirely useless but mostly aides my mother in the chores which she needed to get done which usually involved feeding animals.

I wished I was my brother now don't get me wrong I am not envious of him but sometimes he is the spotlight of the show. My brother was as strong as an ox, he dealt with ingenuity the rugged problems on the farm due to his virility. My brother was always being haughty about his virility and always daring me for the most arduous and adventurous things and if I refused and tried to talk myself out of it. He would do every single thing to provoke to take that single thing by calling me a cry baby and a coward cat. As I was gullible I always gave in and he would make fun of the situation to the best extent. Yesterday I was feeding Lola that’s what I named my cow when Sam came to me and then started to give his incredibly challenging. “Hey little brother I am going out tomorrow to hunt some food for the upcoming winter.” I nodded not making an eye contact with him. He stood there when our stares finally met. “Do you want to accompany me?” He asked me an enthusiastic grin spreading across his face. “No I am not acclimatized to the wild” I said as lifelessly as I could.

“Well than you have to eventually get acclimatize to it today or tomorrow you have to support mom and dad don’t be useless sacredly cat.” “I am not anything that you give any appellations to me.” I said firmly endeavoring that I won’t fall into that bait. “OK then I will tell mom to send you away as you are incapable to take care of them.” An arrow of disappointment hit my heart.

I met his dark eyes I am not joking. “OK than tomorrow I will go with you.” And I could feel the radiation coming upon me from the waxing gibbous which was soon destined to turn into a full moon. I posed life as a boring thing until or unless you have something to look forward to something interesting. Soon I retired from the wearisome day. I didn’t want to ponder over tomorrow. Instead I wanted to think something pleasant nothing came into mind and eventually I dozed off on the small bed. During the night I don’t know the time but the only thing that I recalled was the loud and shrill mourning’s of the huskies. Never had I ever heard these howls before greatly invoked my instincts of some untold peril. These howls were alarming and ear-splitting. Since rest of my family sleeps like a rock and I was the only one awake. These noises terrified me but deep within me I was too curious to care. I set out of the house to see a sliver circle which was formed in the sky as if observe.  Full moon rose high over the trees into the sky, lighting the land till it lay bathed in ghostly day. And with the coming of the night, brooding and mourning by the pool, a new life stirred within me and I felt as I wasn’t even tired. Suddenly I felt as energetic as a new shock of electric current passed within me. Under the full moon I could see a pack of wolf mourning about I don’t know what reason. Their brown muzzle glimmered in the silver moon light and one of the wolf which was the leader as all the other five neatly lined behind me. Maybe I had found the winters food, at this thoughtless whim my heart begin to drum louder than a drum. Before I could do anything else I was the victim of the next one to be a vampire. There was no warning but a flash in the leap and one of the ruthless wolf was upon me angrily jarring its teeth but it did not kill me didn’t suck out the soul from me. I wish it did so I couldn’t feel the last bit of agony. I lay there I wanted to cry for help and wanted to run but my might wasn’t just sufficient to afford all this demands. My eye lids kept getting heavier and heavier until they were shut. Next moment when I was awoke under the full moon. Something definitely felt weird, I couldn’t feel my hands or feet because they weren’t there. Weird scents penetrated my nose and that was when I realized that I wasn’t a human but a werewolf. I also had fur stood up on the four legs and paced back and forth. Out of the blue all the bulbs in my mind lit bright and were luminous. I stared up the sky the full moon was still lingering which meant I could still hunt for food for my family. This thought made me realize that scent was uncanny but productive for the one who want to seek food. I had all the tactics to pass through the forest as cat footed and swift as a shadow. By the end of the night when I had lingered through all the forest due to my blood longing I killed two deer’s with the exceptionalism of my ingenuity which merely required a little time to be learned and applied.

I felt stronger than my former self and more constructive for my family. By the time I transformed into my former self I felt poised as I was carrying a large stock of food back to my home. My mom may be distressed by seeing my ragged and bloody clothes but that didn’t concern me as much the only spur of moment I waited for was for Sam to see how someone rather than him has great abilities and I can’t just wait to see the sign of envy upon his face and for the first time I would be grinning. The mound of pride swelled in my heart the ration which I was taking home and first time I will be a triumphant victor.  First time I was untrammeled that I had earned something on my own virtue and initiative but obviously no one hear the story of this red-letter day.

My mother always used to tell me that you always get things in an unexpected way in fact the cover of the book could be very gruesome but the text inside is important.

This was one thing i recognized about myself on October 28, 1997.





February 21, 2020 14:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Shifa Asif
09:51 Feb 23, 2020

My best endeavor yet

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.