1 comment

Thriller Suspense Horror

 “Everything was ready for the Ritual,” I told myself, “Everything was finally, ready for the Ritual,” I smiled, with a glimmer of hope. I had a strong feeling that, this will be the calm before the storm. I can no longer live along the side of these entities haunting my house. .I should feel safe in my own home. Instead I’m scared to come home, especially if I know I’ll be alone. I often see a dark mass hovering in the corner of the room, when I’m alone. Something has grabbed my shoulder a few sparatic times and I don’t want to know what else it has planned. Touching my shoulder was enough to give me nightmares for a lifetime. Just knowing there are presence lingering around my house, scares me so much I have to sleep with every light on in the house. I also have to leave the television on, all day and night, to drown out any and all noises I hear. When I’m alone during the day and at night I don’t sleep well. I believe all the evil comes from my basement. It’s old and musty with low ceiling and a dirt floor. That is where our washer and dryer is. The last time, I went down into that dungeon, switching over the laundry. I heard my name being called out. It sounded similar to a group of girls voices calling out my name at the same time but from different directions. As the voices began getting closer to me. It seemed they were spinning around me,like some kind of evil ring-around-the-Rosie. The faster they spun around me, the more sick with vertigo I began to feel. As I clumsily made my way toward the door when a loud pounding began to blast against the walls. My fear took over my legs as I ran up the stairs . The pounding continued to follow me and became louder the closer I got to the top. I know those evil spirits were on the opposite side of my daughter’s bedroom door. There was no way I was going to leave this bedroom just to be there play toy. All I could do is sit and wait impatiently, shaking from fear of the unknown.

Before I could start the ritual, I had to wait for my daughter, Alisyn, to come home. My daughter and I are spiritually connected, she says. She has been studying the spiritual world for the past two years, moving her way around the country. She figured out she is my spirit guide, by sensing something was wrong here at home. She sensed I was in danger by some sort of evil. So she moved home and said she was exhausted everyday from fighting off the evil. When she was here I felt so much better, like something had been lifted off of me. I had no idea she was taking on so much until she told me weeks later. I wasn’t okay with using her as my guard and making her life harder. We wondered why they only seemed to be after me. Then a memory came back to me as I was collecting all the items for the Ritual. This memory was from almost thirty years ago. That had to be the only time in my life something could of attached to me or cursed me. After that day, I never messed around with anything from the spirit world again

Alisyn finally got home and she saw the alter already set up but there was one more thing we had to talk about.

“I know I’m cursed and I found a spell to break that curse.,” I explained, expecting her to put a stop to it.aor six of us taking over the house. Running around playing hide-n-seek. Just as it got dark, Becky’s mother approach us huddled in Becky’s bedroom.

Her mother walked a few steps closer and said, “Your sister is going to be watching you while I go out. So all of you behave, okay?,” She said sternly.

Becky gave her mother an awkward look, “You go out every night. It’s my Birthday. You can’t stay home for just one night?,” Becky asked lowering her voice as she looked down toward the floor, upset. Nothing her Mother ever did, tugged on any feelings of regret or pity. She never stopped going out. It was a regular occurrence in her house.

Becky walked towards her bedroom door. As she looked over her shoulder at us, she asked, “Are you guys coming?,” We all stomped down the stair in a single line, making out way to the kitchen.

" Let’s go see what there is to drink in the fridge,”She said, with a glimmer in her eyes. Non of us said a word, we just followed her downstairs and into ht. With her head almost completely inside the refrigerator, she pulls out a bottle.

She turns around and raised her arm, “Well, we have wine!,” Becky informed us, excited. We had be around six years old, at the time. None of us has ever had a drink containing alcohol. Each one of us grinned at each other with excitement. We followed Becky like , follow the leader. She led us behind the couch. I thought it was strange for all of us to squeeze behind the couch when we could all just spread out in her bedroom.

We all piled up, our legs entangled as we waited eagerly for her to pass the bottle. Becky was the first one to take a large gulp.She began choking on the taste of chemicals from the alcohol. We all quickly took our turn, thinking we would get caught by her sister, Rachel, any second. As the bottle got passed around for the third time. We sat behind that couch feeling invisible. After taking only three sips of the awful tasting wine, I swear we all thought we were drunk. As we sat in a form of a pretzel behind the couch, we giggled and slurred our words. I remember thinking it was fun feeling nothing but happiness. We began to notice a few voices sounding like they were coming from the living room. We peeked over the back of the couch, trying to spy on Rachel. There were at least six people standing between the living room and dining room that were actually one whole room. Becky stashed the bottle under the couch. We all fell all over each other trying to get out of that tight space. I needed. to get out from that tight space. I felt like I couldn’t breathe

A couple hours went by and Rachel’s party was wearing down. That was, until she mentioned a game play we should play. .Since there were so many of us, it was a perfect time to play.

She scanned the room as she asked with a smirk, “So you guy’s want to play the Bloody Mary game?,”As she grinned from ear to ear, her friends looked over at our blank face. They smiled and all nodded, yes. They all looked over at us. I was instantly scared, just by the name of the game.

Rachel shrugged her shoulders, “So, you guys want to play with us?!,” We felt ten feet taller being invited to the older kids game. I looked around hoing for anyone to say no. I didnt want to be the only one sitting out. They quickly moved the coffee table to the side. Making room for all eleven of us.

Rachel quickly sat Indian style on the floor, “Come on everyone, we all have to sit in a circle and hold hands.” We all randomly sat in the first available spot on the floor.

“Can someone turn the lights off?,” She asked. I immediately perked up as she said those two words. I hate the dark. I can’t let anyone see me freak out from sitting in the dark. After the lights were out. It wasn’t completely dark,so I felt a bit better that there was a slight glow coming from the kitchen. We all sat in the circle, so close we were shoulder to shoulder.

“Okay, now everyone hold hands,”Rachel stated, as she waited for all of us to follow her directions. “Everyone close your eyes, as I tell you a story about Bloody Mary.Its been so many years I can’t remember much of the story. She explained what she looked like in detail and when we open our eyes we all look around the room. If one of us see Bloody Mary inside this circle, you will be cursed by her forever . Rachael laughed, knowing it was just a game and no one ever sees her face. We all opened our eyes, I looked around at each face. My heart was pounding hoping I wasn’t going to be the one to see Bloody Mary. I scanned the room, slowly. Hoping someone else would say they saw her first. Just as I was almost done, I jumped back, as I saw the exact description of Bloody Mary replacing the face of one of Racheals friends face. I let out a quick scream as I covered my face, terrified. The rest of the group laughed, most likely thinking it was my imagination.. I know what I saw and now I will be cursed for life.

After the party, I started to see dark shadows behind my bedroom door at night.. In my childhood home we had mirror everywhere, Each time I looked in the mirror, she began to stare back at me with her f ugly face and stringy hair. She would just stare at me smiling back at me with an evil grin. Why did I have to be the one to see Bloody Mary’s face. Ever since I first saw her, I’ve seen her in my dreams, on strangers face and in everything reflective. Bloody Mary is real, it’s not a game.

Alisyn stared at me like it all came together. She lit the candles, one white and one black. symbolizing the goddess and god.Feminine and masculine in nature. The chime draws elements of focus into the ritual.Offerings give thanks or requests an invoke from the spirits and are a sign of acknowledgment that what your asking the universe to grant you what you desire. Crystals generate energy and make a strong connection wit.h the earth and can make longer rituals more stable and balanced. The spell to banish Bloody Mary can be dangerous. Stand in front of a mirror with only the candles lit. So I had Alisyn sit on the bed away from the mirrors so the curse wouldn’t transfer to her. I was so afraid of what would happen,I stood there in front of the mirror shaking uncontrollably. I looked at myself in the mirror, staring at my reflection and said, “Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary,” I repeated her name thirteen times.I continued to stare at my reflection while looking around my reflection to see if I could see her in the mirror. Out of nowhere, there was an extremely high pitched scream. I looked over at Alisyn and she looked as if she saw a ghost. I looked around the room, even more af raid now than before .I went to take a step back, as she screamed again. Then she reached through the mirror and grabbed my arm. I fought back as much as I could, “Alisyn” I screamed. “Help me Alisyn!,” She tugged on my arm as hard as she could but Bloody Mary was stronger. So strong, with one strong tug she had pulled me inside the mirror with her. I pounded on the mirror, looking straight at my daughter. I don’t think she saw me or was to scared to try. She covered the window with a cloth, maybe scared she would be pulled in next. I now belonged to Bloody Mary, there is no telling what will happen to me..

October 29, 2021 21:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ayesha 🌙
16:06 Nov 02, 2021

Ooh, creepy. I would love to see what happens next!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.