0 comments

American Crime Western



    Hey! You, Inmate 717, come out for your daily routine, the prison warden said. Inmate 717 knew what will befall him if he did not obey his command. This new lifestyle has become his modus operandi ever since three months ago, waking up on the cold hard ground, being a portion of food for the Mosquitoes, subjected to strenuous activities, given food not enough for a toddler. He remembered how he had once been, the lifestyle where he had been a young rich CEO of the Evergreen jewelry industry. His name was Peter Emmanuel before he became an inmate of the prison ever since the day the chief Judge made his judgment.

  As he reminisces on the event in the past, while on his duty, he blamed himself for not thinking deeply before making the decision that sent him into the abyss of hell. It all happened on the 1st of April 2021, which was known worldwide as April fool’s day. The young CEO does not want to be left out and decided to take part in it.

   He woke up on this unfateful day and decided to play a prank on his business partner, CEO James, who was to discuss their transaction with him that day.

  He prepared for work, as usual, that morning, humming a song. His chauffeur noticed his weird behavior, but he decided to keep silent. His car sped on the bustling city, attracting many passersby; finally, they reached the company, he stepped out of his car with a smiling face which put everyone in awe. He made his way to his office and surprised his employees by responding to their greetings, they were surprised and wondered what was wrong with their boss, was this their boss, or was he impersonated? But no one knew what was hidden underneath the bright face.

  He entered his office and sat down on his office chair. He instructed his chief secretary to prepare his usual coffee before he buried himself with his work. His secretary came in a few minutes after. While waiting for CEO James' arrival, he ordered his P.A to prepare a contract on the transaction they had together, he made the contract a long one, and he made it very tricky to fool CEO James.

  At 10 o’clock on dot, CEO James arrived at Evergreen Inc. CEO Peter had instructed his P.A beforehand to ushered him into the meeting room upon his arrival. After ushering him in, he went to update his boss. CEO Peter entered the meeting room and greeted the man. He told him about the contract and told him it will be of good advantage to him if he signed it. He places the contract in front of him and urged him to sign it because the contract was a long one, he read the first page only and because he trusted in the CEO, he finally decided to sign it since it will be advantageous to him. The contract was about the fledgling transaction between them and unknown to CEO James, he had been a victim of his idiotic thinking. He made him agree that his share in their transaction would be given to him and that he will be given 70% share in return after a year but this was written as a prank. CEO James thought this was real he supports his friend telling him to call him if he had another good advice.

BAM!, the door was closed has CEO James walked out of his meeting room and made his way to his car, luckily, his chauffeur has been looking at the door all the time, seeing his boss coming out he went to open the car door immediately .in contrary, CEO Peter has been laughing to himself as if he has just inhaled laughing gas. Everybody in the house noticed his unusual happiness contract, so everybody is happy because their boss is happy.

After a month of signing the contract, they began the foundation of the company, the foundation couldn’t last. The company begins to work, they got the acquired numbers of staff ,who start working for them, after a year of the establishment of the company CEO Peter never paid his money , and CEO James never once forget that he owe him money , everytime he asked him he could be rubbing it off with another thing, unfortunately CEO James never relent to stop asking him about his money , when the pressure is too much for him to carry but at last he agreed to pay it at the end of the second year ,CEO James is dishearted but he still allowed him to choose his choice because of how they are related,people usually come to buy thing in bulk,some usually complained that their goods are not up to the normal measurement , CEO James always act to there complained while CEO Peter is other wise the just like to complained about the poor facilities equipment and other damages that happens on the company, CEO James never likes his attitude torward people,so after period of one year and half .everything started to take shape on CEO James head, he suspect that CEO Peter has fooled him,,he asked his secretary to bring the contract ,so his secretaty bring it , he gone through it for many time,at first he did not get but later everything became clear to him that CEO Peter has indeed fool him. He decided to wait still the day CEO Peter promised him, CEO James decided to act calmly in front of his business partner CEO Peter

After two years, The day CEO James has been waiting for has finally come, The first thing CEO James does is to call CEO Peter, once the call is been connected, he clear his throat and begin to talk “where is the money you owe me as you have promised” upon hearing the voice, everything became quiet has the word April fool rang in CEO James ear. he couldn't withstand it again as he was fainting if not because of the servant behind him he could have already fallen, when he later came back to his sense he wastes no time, he called his police to arrest him. meanwhile, in CEO Peter house, he was busy enjoying his bath under the warm water of his bathtub, when two policemen distributed his bath they took him and kidnapped him, the next thing he could see was a lawyer, he doesn't even care, as he was just thinking about what brought him here, in the process he heard court arise and two policemen took him away.

Whoof!, he felt that someone has beaten him “do your work what are you thinking of “, he came back to his senses and realized that he has been in jail.

                                             THE END


April 02, 2021 22:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.