1 comment

Fiction Mystery Coming of Age

24 Hours.

It started. For the next and only 24 hours, Zari was an apprentice. That's how it worked in Star Hollow. Apprentices, like herself, had one day to perfect their chosen skill. The catch? They have no idea what it even is. On Choosing day, a note is sent to each child of age, telling them their future ‘ contribution’ role to the kingdom. An involuntary job, to put it bluntly. A job decided by the whims and fancy of the High Council, rulers of Star Hollow. They were given a task in which they must succeed. If you did not succeed or receive a note, you were put to death or, as the High Council put it, ‘Why must we waste valuable resources on you if you have no purpose or part in contribution.’ None of them are ever publicly executed as the High Council does not believe that failures should have an audience. At least five apprentices every year are killed. This year however, there was only one death. Multiple children were matched to each realm, Well, except realm five. The fifth realm was always reserved to one apprentice. And to Zari’s luck, she was assigned there. Within the next 24 hours, she had to prove her worth to the High Council. She was practically shaking with joy...or, was it fear? Whatever it was, it followed her all the way to the address given to her in the note. 

Walking to the old cottage, Zari swallowed her arms, unwilling to move from her side and knock, But, she did not need to. The door opened, a creepy creaking sound. Zari didn’t know what to expect when it came to the interior, but it certainly wasn’t this. She was met with darkness. Glancing at the watch strapped to her wrist, displaying the time she had left to complete and succeed in her task, she, very reluctantly, entered. And of course, the door closed and locked. Walking forward, she felt as though, no, she knew, the interior was much bigger than the exterior. The darkness felt as though it was expanding with each step she took. Soon the door was non-existent. For a while, Zari’s steps were the only sound. But, the minute her watch reached the 2nd hour mark, she heard crying. It echoed through the darkness like thunder in the night. Whoever it was, sounded close, yet far. She looked around, hoping the darkness would give her a hint as to where the darkness came from. To her luck, (finally), a faint glow came from the direction of the door. Glad for a source of light, she followed it, the crying getting louder. 

Like a movie, the brightness swallowed her whole. The next thing she knew, she stood face to face with the source of the weeping. A girl. But not just any girl. The daughter of the General from the Protector’s Realm, Atalia. Kneeling down, Zari rested her hand on the girl’s shoulder. But instead of comforting, it just startled her soul straight out of her body. At least she stopped crying.


“ I didn’t mean to frighten you.” Zari whispered, her voice more comforting than her previous gesture, “ Do you know where we are?”


She shook her head. “ One minute I was completing my task, the next, I woke up here.”


Zari studied her. She did not look like the warriors in her father’s realm, strong or intimidating. Glancing around, Zari realized she hadn’t the slightest clue as to where they were. It was a forest, a serene place. But, a gut feeling told her she couldn’t stay here. Rising to her feet, she helped Atalia up. She couldn’t help but have the slightest feeling that she was supposed to help the girl. Maybe she was supposed to be in the Service Realm, the realm dedicated to serving the public and providing the necessities as demanded by the council. But, she didn’t have time to ponder. Trusting her gut, she grabbed onto Atalia’s hand and followed to the sun. 

It felt like days before they reached a fence. On the outside, was the kingdom. The trek was quiet except for the occasional squeal from Atalia when something ran over her foot or if the bushes rustled. Spotting a gate to the far end, Zari went to it.


“ I’m taking you to the High Council,” Zari stated as they walked to the gate.


Atalia froze.


“ Don’t worry, we’ll just tell them you got lost doing your task.” Zari added, hoping the tears forming in Atalia’s eyes were going to stay there and not roll down her cheek. 


Atalia nodded and continued walking, biting the inside of her cheek, a nervous habit. Both girls pushed the iron gate, expecting it to be heavy. But it wasn’t. Odd, she thought. The two of them practically floated through the door, almost like spirits. 

It was quiet, parents locked inside their homes, pacing eagerly for this day to be over. The windows of each house were shut, the doors locked. Though everyone worked in different realms, their homes were situated in the same place. It was like one big community. From her view, the city looked glum, scary like. 


“ We shouldn’t waste any time,” Zari said, glancing at her watch. She just hit the four hour mark, “ Atalia?”


The quiet girl had her eyes glued on her parents home, completely ignoring Zari. Gently touching her shoulder, startling her once again, Atalia turned to Zari.


“ Could I see my family?” she asked, her voice a whisper.


“ I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Zari told her.


“ It would only be for a minute. I promise. Then we’ll go explain my situation to the High Council. ” Atalia said, a little more confidently.


Zari weighed out their situation. A few minutes couldn't hurt. Nodding, the girl smiled and ran to her parents house. Zari grinned but followed. Looking around, the Kingdom seemed eerily quiet. There were no guards from the Protector’s realm patrolling the area. Strange, she thought.

Reaching the house, Atalia rapped her fist at the door, multiple times. But, no one came. Through the window, they could see Atalia’s father busy working in his study, her watching something on her phone with headphones on. She held a napkin in her hand, her eyes red and a blanket covered her lower body. Maybe she’s sick.


“ They’re probably busy, “ Zari suggested when no one made a move to answer the door. Maybe her mom’s headphones volume was too high and her father probably couldn’t hear from the study. 


“ Maybe,” Atalia said, resuming her nervous habit, “ I’ll leave a note.”


On the porch table, was a notepad and pen onto which Atalia wrote her note. She signed it, ‘ Love you always forever, Ati.' Slipping the note under the door, she looked at her parents through the window, before turning. 

Back on track, Zari and Atalia make their way through the Kingdom. Zari prayed there were no more interruptions, eager to finish her task. The smell of freshly baked pastries lingered on the sidewalk in front of the only bakery in the kingdom. It took everything in her not to stop and buy something. Clearly, Atalia did not have that discipline.

“ They have blueberry tarts. Ohh, I love blueberry tarts! My dad always got one for me every day he came home from work,” squealed Atalia, “ We have to stop.” And she did.


“ I’m sure they’ll have once we finish with the High Council.” Zari stated, turning on her heels to continue their never ending trek to the High Council.


“ PLEASE!!” Atalia begged, pouting her face as though she’s five. 


“ No. We’ve already wasted enough time as it is.” Zari declared, glancing at her watch. Only eighteen hours left. Time was moving against her, “ Besides, I don’t have any money and from the looks of it, neither do you.”


Grinning like a Cheshire cat, Atalia dug in the bushes in the alleyway next to the bakery, pulling out a coin pouch.

“ You never know when you need money,” she grinned, “ Be right back.”


She dashed into the store. Groaning, Zari leaned against the building. If this was her task, which she had a strong feeling it was, she couldn’t leave Atalia. 10, 20, 30…The time quickly decreased as if mocking her.


“ This is ridiculous,” she mumbled, regretting not dragging Atalia out of there the moment she entered. 


Pushing off the wall, she reached for the door. But, she never opened. For, out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted a figure, concealing himself in the shadows of the alleyway.

“ Who are you?” she questions, hoping he doesn’t hear the shaking in her voice. 


“ You’re straying from the task given to you,” the figure chuckled. 


As if to add to the eeriness, a wind brushed past her, droplets of rain staining her face. But, Zari was more concerned with the fleeting figure. Running into the alleyway, she chased after it. But, similar to the cottage, the darkness expanded. Soon, she couldn’t see the entrance of the alleyway, nor could she see the figure. Pausing in her tracks, she looked around, hoping the exit would reveal itself. Of course she knew she was straying. She had to get Atalia to the High Council and complete her task. But, the girl kept thinking of things to do, things that prolonged…Her thoughts ceased in her head. 


In front of her, a blue light expanded, forming a window-like shape. But it’s what lay on the other side that left her shocked. Five figures, cloaked in robes that only belonged to the High Council, stood behind the General, Atalia’s father. Zari could see him fighting the tears as he raised his gun to the figure in front of him, his daughter. Her cries and pleads seemed to be ignored. 


“ Get on with it. We haven’t got all day,” hissed a Council member.


The General's back faced the High Council, so they weren’t able to see the ‘I love you,’ he mouthed to her…before…before pulling the trigger, burying a bullet in his daughter's head. Atalia fell with a thud, her body going limp. Though their faces were concealed, Zari knew the High Council was grinning. Turning around, the High Council retreated back to their home. The General knelt by his daughter’s side, closed her eyes, a silent tear falling from his cheek. Before leaving, he took her watch, the last keepsake he had of her. The words and thoughts were lost on Zari. 


Would that happen to Atalia if Zari took her to the High Council?


Would they think she failed her task and kill her?


Zari didn’t have time to ask more questions than answers. All she knew is that she couldn’t continue with her original plan. She looked around the darkness, finding light in the direction she came. She ran to it, back onto the sidewalk of the bakery, panting.

On cue, Atalia came out of the bakery, holding a box full of sweets. The girl grinned from ear to ear, her lips smeared with the blue tint from the blueberry.


“ This,” she said shaking the box, “ is the last thing I need to do. Mr. Fitz was busy with stock in the back and didn’t hear me calling so I just took what I needed and left a note…and my payment. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind,” she said.


“ I don’t care.” Zari uttered, a little too bluntly, “ We need to get you back to your task before the High Council finds you. Do you remember what you were doing?” This was the only solution Zari could think of: Get Atalia back to her task and leave her there, maybe that would save the girl…and hopefully, herself. 


“ I’m sorry, but I don’t. I’ve been trying since you found me but I haven’t got the slightest clue as to what I was doing.” Atalia answered, her tone nothing but hopeless, “ I’m sure it would come back to me. But, I promised my little sister I would deliver these sweets to her once I'm done with my task. Since I have no memory of the task, I’ll do it now instead.” With that Atalia turned and started walking to her sister’s school. 


Groaning and grumbling like a five year old, Zari followed, glancing at the time remaining on her watch. They had six hours remaining. This made Zari stop. How long was she trapped in the darkness of the alleyway? 


No. Something was off.


Something was very off


The pieces fell into place, making the puzzle picture complete. That vision wasn’t of the future. It was in the past, Zari spent the last twelve hours, travelling to the past. Glancing at Atalia’s wrist, she noticed the missing watch. Noticed much more than that. Red paint, no, blood was smeared on the side of Ataila’s face, it blended in well with the girl's red hair but that was no longer concealed. It’s source, the spot where she was shot. Atalia’s mother wasn’t sick. Her eyes were red from crying, probably from watching videos of Atalia from when she was a baby. Her father was busy, trying to pretend he didn’t just kill his daughter. Mr. Fitz didn’t hear Atalia because he was busy. It was because he did not know she was there, didn’t hear her. Just like when she was knocking the door of her parents house. 


How could she have missed that?

 Her legs didn’t want to carry her. This wasn’t Atalia. Well, it was but not in the way Zari thought. 


“ My oh my, you’re a clever one aren’t you.” the figure from the alleyway appeared next to her, chuckling. 

A dark cloak from head to toe. A greybeard sewn onto a wrinkly face. His frame was not as intimidating as he would’ve liked but what he lacked in physique, he made up for in the black obsidian gems as his eyes. 


“ What is this?” Zari asked, her voice a whisper. 

“ I think you figured it out already, my dear. You just don’t want to accept it.” he disappeared again. But he wasn’t wrong?


“ Only be a minute,”


Zari hadn’t realized they reached the school.


She had only heard rumors. Never quite knew if it was true. That the fifth realm was reserved for death himself. Or in her case, herself. Those apprentices of the fifth realm were rumored to be the guide of death. That’s why there was only one apprentice here. Only one person needed to guide the wandering spirits of the dead. From the whispers she heard, their job was to help the souls of the dead complete unfinished business so that they could rest. 


Was this really Zari’s job?


Was this truly what she’s to do for the rest of her life?


Her thoughts were interrupted by Atalia, exiting the school, her face her shade lighter. 


“ Okay, we can go to the High Council now. I’m finished with everything.” the girl mumbled, walking to the High Council chambers. But she stopped when she realized Zari wasn’t following.

She’s done. She’s finished with everything. She could finally rest. Fighting back the tears, Zari reached out to the girl, guiding her away from the direction of the High Council. 

“ What’s your favorite place? Where do you feel at peace?” Zari asked.


Atalia’s face lit up. “ The park, under the Sleepy Willow tree.” she answered, “ I used to meet my friend there but I haven’t seen him since last year,"


Zari knew what she didn’t. He also died. Maybe that was where he felt at peace too. Walking to the park, Zari knew she would have to tell Atalia the truth. But, Zari had trouble accepting the truth herself. She had trouble with a lot of things right now.

With only one hour left, they reached the park. Atalia’s squeal broke the silence as she ran to her friend whom she found sitting on the bench, under the Sleepy Willow tree. A blue glow outlined his figure, only visible to Zari. The two were buzzing with joy, happy to see each other. This is her task. To help Atalia find peace. Now, she just needed to get the girl to accept it. 

It’s now. It had to be now.


“ Atalia, come here.” Zari called. The girl, confused, came over.

With a deep breath, Zari started from the beginning, explaining everything to her.


The missing watch. 


How her parents and Mr. Fitz didn’t hear her.


The vision in the alleyway.


Everything.


At the end, the girl was silent. Too silent. The girl nodded. Her eyes glanced at her friend. He knew. It happened to him too. Glancing back at Zari, she confirmed her suspicion. After a few moments, Atalia smiled.


“ Thank you,” she whispered, catching Zari off guard, “ You helped me find peace. Helped me find rest and for that, I’m grateful.” This time tears of joy rolled down her cheek. With one last glimpse, the girl turned and went back to her friend, accepting her fate.


“ Well done. And look at that, only five minutes to spare.” He returned. In a blink, she was back in the darkness of the cottage.


“ Does this mean I passed?” Zari murmured. 


“ Yes. But your apprenticeship is far from over.” Zari looked up at him, “ Death is the one promise of life. No amount of training could ever prepare you for what you’re supposed to do. Not everyone would be willing to accept it, but you need them to. When it comes to what you do, you’re always an apprentice, learning everyday. It’s why I chose you. You want to help people find peace. Always doing anything to ease their troubles.”


Zari was silent. She looked away from him. This was her path, her purpose. Would she always like it? No. But, who would? One thing, however, always stayed the same, she wanted to help people find peace. For, no matter who you are, everyone deserves peace.


October 30, 2023 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

John Rutherford
08:35 Nov 09, 2023

There is a sense of harshness in this world in the selection process, and yet compassion in the process. The contrast is interesting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.