The art studio during Christmas.

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Set your story at a work holiday party,... view prompt

1 comment

Christmas Friendship

I finished sewing my latest suit to be sent to my friends in Italy. We've been working on this together for a while so I hope it’s a hit. I brought it over to my work desk where I had the bag for it layed out. Zipping it all the way up to the hanger, I picked it up from the table and went to drop it off at our mailing services. On the way there my boss, Jennine stopped me, “Hey you’re coming to the meeting after work in the conference room right?” She asked as she seemed ecstatic.

“For what?” I asked, I didn’t remember hearing about a meeting after work, or I would've stayed home. 

“The Christmas party you silly goose!” Jennine exaggerated as she softly punched my arm. 

  “Oh, yea I can come, do I need to bring anything?” I felt embarrassed as I asked, since I had no gift. 

“Well usually you either bring a gift or food, but since you're a newbie I’ll let you slide.” Jennine moped as she walked away.

I felt pressured into bringing something “I can bring a gift!” I reassured. Jennine had turned around with the biggest smile on her face. 

“Okay newbie, see you at 6:30!” She greeted me as prancing back to her office. 

I flick my wrist in front of my eyes to check the time, 4:53, the watch read. “Well I guess I better get to work!” I rushed back to my room with millions of ideas flowing through my head. I rushed the door open as I went around my room grabbing scrap fabric. I threw the pile of scraps on my table right next to my sewing machine. I began to sew each random scrap together, I used the easiest scarf template I had since I was on a time crunch. I cut the pieces out according to the template and began sewing those pieces together, to capture the best scarf I’ve made in 45 minutes. I ran around my room like a chicken with no head trying to figure out how to wrap this. I saw a shiny glimpse through my Peripheral vision, it was my silk fabric. I grabbed a roll of the brassy rose gold color and began to cut it according to the shape of the scarf. I had it wrapped perfectly and wrapped it with a vintage white lace along the edges of the silk to tie it all together. 

It was 6:24 as I was approaching the Christmas party, the door opened as I walked up to it, no one was there to open it but as I walked inside I saw flashing lights, Christmas booze, a rental Santa, Dj booth and a pretty full snack bar. I fit my way in between groups of people trying to find a roomful area. I walked over to what looked like the gift table, right next to the fruit punch. I stood next to the gift table staring at the crowd. A tap on my shoulder comes up from behind me. It's a girl in her 20’s, so about my age. She had long brown wavy hair with highlights of fuchsia and electric blue. She also had a silver nose piercing and was about 5’4 in height. 

“You’re the new fashion diva right?” she asked

“Fashion what? 

‘Oh, here we call them Fashion Divas, but it means designer.” 

“That's me, your average Fashion Diva.”

The girl chuckled as she held her hand out “I’m Alecia.”

I shook Alicia's hand as I responded with “I’m Poppy”

Me and Alecia hit it off pretty well the rest of the night. We had a few drinks together, laughed till our ribs began to ache and we even met some more artists that shared interests with us. 

“Okay everyone! Pay attention” Jennine yelled as she clinked her knife against a wine glass. 

“It’s time for gifts!, everyone gets one from me as usual!” Jennine shouted. 

Alecia sighed then began to chuckle a bit. 

“What's wrong?” I asked 

“Oh, nothing, it's that Jennine always gets us something stupid for Christmas.” She finished stating as Jennine passed around gifts according to each person “Don’t open it yet guys!” she warned as she passed each gift out. Jennine walked back to the front of the conference room, and stood on the table, “Ok guys you can open it!” Jennine shouted in excitement. I began to tear into my present only to reveal a Barbie doll with a il Tricolore flag dress on. I guess this was to represent my collaboration with Italy and she did see that it was a dress earlier today so it would make sense. I found the gift sentimental and funny at the same time, it was bittersweet. I looked over at Alicia's gift and she got a breathing mask, “What's that for.” I asked, trying to hide back my laugh. “Oh, I do spray paint art and I’m always complaining about the smell.” She chuckled. 

“Okay everyone, now the gift table!” Jennine shouted as she marched to the gift table. 

“Since I am the boss I guess I get to choose the first gift.” She said as her eyes caught my shiny gift, “Oooh, I like this one.” she confirmed as she snatched the gift off the table and began to unwrap it. As she revealed the gift Jennine squealed in joy, I don’t know if she was too drunk to comprehend it but I'll take it . Jennine began to throw the scarf on and strut around the studio like it was her catwalk. After another hour or so the party began to die down, Alecia and I started to leave as we got to the parking lot. Alecia made eye contact with me ,“See you Monday!” she said as we split up our own ways to our cars. “See you!” I responded. As I began the walk back to my car my thoughts were racing. I have a work friend! I hope she doesn't think I'm weird. I decided to shut my thoughts down and just focus on getting home. I'm glad I went to work today.

December 29, 2022 18:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wendy Kaminski
05:02 Jan 01, 2023

Fun story, thanks for sharing it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.