27 comments

Kids Contemporary Friendship

In my country, the heroes aren’t like the American ones. All the heroes in American movies have big muscles, puffy hair, and teeth like those Colgate commercials. Maybe that’s what you need to get the girl in the end. If that’s what a hero looks like, I’m out of luck. It’s hard when you look like me. 


If I couldn’t be a hero, maybe I could be a sidekick. A sidekick would be easy. You don’t have to fight as many bad guys or train so hard. Sure, you don’t get the girl in the end, but I’m OK with that. Girls are icky. Well, Amir says they are. 


I don’t believe Amir sometimes. If girls are so icky, why do the heroes always want them? 


When I told Amir I wanted to be a sidekick, he laughed at me.


“Why would you want to be a sidekick?” he asked.


I told him, “When you don’t beat the bad guy, it’s not your fault; it’s the hero’s fault.”


He laughed again. Amir was always laughing at me.


But that wasn’t the real reason I wanted to be a sidekick. The real reason is no one notices the sidekick; they’re in the background. I like the background. I don’t have to get that look from people — the look like they just bit a lemon.


Tasha’s birthday party was in a week. Mom said Tasha invited me herself; she really wanted me to come.


Amir was always like a rain cloud. “She’s only inviting you because she has to. She invited everyone in the class.”


I think he was mad because she didn’t invite him


Maybe Tasha liked me. Maybe she wanted to be my friend. It would be nice to have a friend; Amir isn’t a nice one.


Mom said it was a superhero and princess party, and I had to wear a costume. The boys were going to be superheroes, the girls princesses. 


Mom fanned out some of the apartment’s DVDs in front of me: Spiderman 2, The Incredible Hulk, Ironman, and Batman Returns.


“Do you want to be any of these Masoud?” she said.


I shook my head. I didn’t want to be a superhero. I wanted to be a ghost. 


So Mom took a white bed sheet and cut out two eye holes. She said I looked like a ‘real hero’ and that Dad and my brothers would’ve liked it too. It was nice to stay hidden for a change. Maybe the other kids wouldn’t give me that lemon look. I hated that look.


“There’s no ghost superhero,” Amir said. “You look stupid.”


He didn’t understand. I wasn’t a hero; I was a sidekick. It doesn’t matter who the sidekick is.


Mom said I should think of a name for my hero.


“I’m a sidekick, Mom.”


“What’s your sidekick’s name Masoud?”


Masoud. I wouldn’t pick that name. Everyone else had names like Liam, Oliver, or Henry. I didn’t want to be Masoud. Now I got to be someone different.


It was hard to come up with a name. That week before the party, I thought about it a lot. I thought about it at recess when Amir and I drew chalk pictures on the pavement. We were always drawing chalk pictures on the pavement when the rest of the class laughed and played red rover. I thought about the name at lunch when Amir and I ate mujaddara or sabanekh ou ruz. Everyone else had Lunchables, Dunkaroos and Fruit Roll-ups. I would try to trade for the Lunchables, Dunkaroos and Fruit Roll-ups, but no one ever wanted mujaddara or sabanekh ou ruz. I thought about the name in bed at night, when the day disappeared. I loved the night, being alone in that bed with no one around. Sometimes Amir was there. Most of the time, I told him to go away.


I couldn’t think of a name for my sidekick, but on the Saturday of the party, Mom helped me dress up; white sheet, eye holes cut out. I was excited for everyone to see my costume and that I wouldn’t get that look.


“You shouldn’t go, Masoud,” Amir said. “They’re all going to laugh at you; you’re not a superhero.”


Amir always said things like that. He wasn’t invited to the party, but I let him come; I needed him there.


Tasha had a big house, much bigger than our box in the sky. Mom called it a townhouse, which I thought was a funny name because we lived in a city, not a town.


When the door to Tasha’s house opened, the talking stopped. Mom, Amir and I stood in the doorway. The people at the party stared at us. There were three circles of people: the parents, the princesses and the superheroes. Mom hugged me and went to join the parents. Amir and I walked over to the superheroes. They were checking out each others’ costumes in the living room.


There was a Captain America, a Wolverine, a Superman, and a Green Lantern. I walked over in my ghost costume, and Devin, the Superman in a red cape, said, “You’re not a superhero.”


I didn’t say anything, just peeped at everyone, eyes behind the eye holes.


“This is a superhero party,” he said again, sticking out the 'S' on his chest. “And you’re not a superhero.”


Amir snickered beside me. I didn’t know what to say.


“This is Captain America,” Devin continued, placing a hand on Michael. “This is Wolverine, and this is Green Lantern.” He pointed to Grayson and then to Johnathan. “Who are you?”


I froze, wishing I was back in bed, alone at night.


Superman reached out and grabbed the bed sheet, examining it, feeling it between his fingers. 


“What superhero are you?” He said again, louder this time.


Amir was laughing now. He was always laughing. Maybe he was right. I shouldn’t have come. 


“Do you talk? What superhero are you?” He was shouting now, fists clenched, eyes narrowed like he was about to shoot laser beams from them.


I looked over at my mom, talking to the parents. I wish I were a superhero who could speak with his mind. Take me home, Mom.


I was about to leave, to go to a corner alone where I belonged, and then I heard the footsteps behind me.


Tasha was walking over, dressed like Jasmine from Aladdin. She wore blue pants that looked like clouds, and her hair was shiny. I liked that movie after that day, Aladdin.


“Incognito,” she said.


I loved that name.


“Never heard of him,” Superman said.


“Everyone knows who Incognito is. He’s only the greatest superhero of all time. Isn’t that right?” she looked at me with big brown eyes.


I nodded, the white sheet bobbing up and down. “Yes,” I said.


The other superheroes giggled when I spoke. I knew I sounded different than everyone, so I tried not to talk too much. Mom said it was an accent and that it would eventually go away.


Tasha smiled at me. She put a hand on my shoulder. It was warm; I could feel her hand through the bed sheet.


I felt a little lighter and Amir wasn’t laughing anymore.


“Well, actually, I’m a sidekick,” I said.


The other superheroes giggled some more. It didn’t bother me as much with Tasha there.


“No one cares about the sidekicks,” Devin said.


“I think it takes a lot of courage to be a sidekick,” Tasha said. “You don’t get the credit; it takes a strong person. You do the right thing, even if you don’t get the spotlight. Sidekicks are better people than heroes.” She turned up her nose at Devin; her hair was so shiny.


Devin squinted his eyes at Tasha. “I think that’s stupid.”


Wolverine snickered behind him.


“I think you’re stupid Devin. And you look dumb in that Superman costume.”


As the other three superheroes laughed like the hyenas in The Lion King, Tasha took my hand and led me away from the group. I liked her hand; it was soft and warm, like a princess’s hand. We went up a set of stairs and found a quiet corner in a bedroom — hers by the looks of the Disney princesses posted on the walls.


“I think you look great,” she said.


“Thank you,” I whispered, looking at the carpet. She didn’t laugh like the others when I spoke. “You look nice too.” I meant it.


“Thanks.” I could see her looking at me out of the corner of my eye. “Boys are mean. Sorry you have to go through that.”


I nodded behind my bed sheet.


“You know what? I think you have the best costume here. It’s so unique. Everyone just follows everyone else. You’re different, and you made your costume. Everyone else bought theirs.”


“Well, my mom made it.”


She shrugged and put her princess hand on my shoulder again. I raised my eyes from the carpet and looked at her; her brown eyes were smiling. She really looked like Jasmine.


“My mom told me what happened, back in your home country,” she said.


I didn’t say anything.


“I think you’re very brave to go through something like that. You’re pretty amazing.”


I smiled, unsure if she saw it under the sheet; I hoped she did.


We didn’t talk much after that; we just sat there in her room, filling in some coloring books she had brought out. I didn’t even notice Amir was gone. Tasha spent the rest of the afternoon with me while the other superheroes and princesses played pin the tail on the donkey, ate birthday cake, and ran through the sprinklers outside.


I didn’t see Amir much after that. He vanished like a ghost. He stopped coming to school with me, and I didn’t hear him laughing anymore. I’m not sure where he went, but I didn’t care; I didn’t need him anymore.


On the Monday after the party, Tasha sat with me at lunch. She traded her pizza Lunchable for my mujaddara. Her face scrunched when she ate it, but she said it ‘tasted good.’ At recess, my classmates played red rover. She brought me over to play with them. My arm hurt a lot and went purple after, but I didn’t mind; I was glad I didn’t have to draw chalk pictures alone.


I never forgot Tasha, my first friend at school. When she looked at me, she never had that look like she just bit a lemon.


I never told her about the bomb that day. The day I lost my dad and brothers, the day that bomb wrecked half my face. I didn’t have to. Somehow she knew, and even if she didn’t, it wouldn’t have mattered.


Some people are like that. That’s what I learned. Heroes don’t always come in capes and costumes; they don’t always save the world. They can be someone who makes you feel OK when the world says you don’t belong.


I didn’t mind being a sidekick to someone like that. It wasn’t so bad. And besides, sometimes the sidekick gets the girl in the end.

April 29, 2023 01:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Galen Gower
02:14 Jul 06, 2023

Just dropping this here in case me asking for more stories from you is all it takes...

Reply

V. S. Rose
00:39 Jul 13, 2023

LOL thanks for the pep talk Galen. I've been on hiatus working on some other things. Planning on getting more stories out here soon though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
01:29 May 11, 2023

Hi VS, Holy cow this was a beautiful piece! I loved the way that you captured the child like innocence in the voice and I thought the point of you was absolutely beautiful. My favorite line was right in the beginning when she says that she wouldn’t get blamed is the bad guy doesn’t get in trouble. I completely identify with that as an anxious human being, who constantly worried about being in trouble. You balance humor with some of those bigger things that you were addressing this piece beautifully. I want to leave you with a question that I...

Reply

V. S. Rose
12:16 May 11, 2023

Thanks Amanda :) That's such a great question. Even asking it now, the first person you think of isn't probably the true answer, because if we rolled back our life to the moment in time we first associated ourselves with someone, there's probably even someone before that, that where we say 'hey that person looks like me.' A lot of it depends on your environment, where you grew up, the people around, etc. And it also gets at 'when do kids know that they look different than everyone around them?' and 'what is it that makes them feel different?...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
15:30 May 08, 2023

What a beautiful story! I loved this. Sections of it reminded me of myself i.e. wishing my lunch was what the popular girls were eating and being embarrassed by my rye bread and liverwurst sandwiches. Brilliant, sensitive writing my friend.

Reply

V. S. Rose
11:35 May 11, 2023

Thank you Viga. I think that feeling of being an outsider is something many of us can relate to. I love rye bread and liverwurst, so you are in good company!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dylan Patrick
06:03 May 08, 2023

Good morning, V.S. Rose! Some praise that I'd like to give this story is that until the end, it's given a charm by the the protagonist's struggle over their insecurity, which is something a lot of kids can relate to. I found that in this sense, the character was someone the audience could understand even if they came from different backgrounds. I do however want to say that I was tripped up by the close proximity that some of the same words had to each other. Finding synonyms for words like 'superhero' would do wonders for the readabili...

Reply

V. S. Rose
00:38 May 11, 2023

Thanks Dylan! Super happy for the good feedback. I agree with on that point on the repetition of words. Sometimes when you write you don't even realize how many times you use a word so it helps having readers like you point this stuff out. Helps me with future projects to keep an eye out for those kinds of things. I look forward to reading your WIP! It's a great name and agreed, funny coincidence :) Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aaron Tippit
11:15 May 05, 2023

The description of "bit into a lemon" that really gives you a great picture of how people look. And then you follow up with the feelings that evokes. The emotion throughout was fantastic. Great writing.

Reply

V. S. Rose
00:33 May 11, 2023

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate your solid feedback on this one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Chambers
20:22 May 04, 2023

New here. My first critique! Good fiction evokes emotion and you did a great job accomplishing that. I loved how you sprung a few surprises on the reader. That was seamless. They weren’t forced or twisty. They felt natural, fitting, and important to the story. The subtle surprises give it an effective, pleasant zing. Of course a traumatized child would have an imaginary friend, though not a very nice one. Brilliant thinking! My opinion may be in the minority. I think the bombing and disfigurement WORKED. And it worked well. Wanting to ...

Reply

V. S. Rose
23:42 May 10, 2023

Thanks for your lovely review here Kristin. I appreciate the attention to detail you took here it pointing out specific lines and scenes you thought that worked and didn't. This feedback is super helpful for me so I'm so glad you took the time to read and give me these comments. I'm so glad you felt the emotion in this story, because that was the intent! I wanted to deliver that feeling to the reader. And absolutely yes to the suggestions! That's why we are all on reedsy is to improve our writing and get a gauge on what other writers think...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
16:45 May 01, 2023

Engaging story with a super message. I agree it didn’t need the disfigurement. Seems more compelling just being the different kid, and we never really know why he’s different. Could be race, economic status, culture, etc. Then the reader would identify with the difference in themself, making the story more personal, and different, for each reader. Just brainstorming though. Well done!

Reply

V. S. Rose
00:26 May 03, 2023

Thanks Jack! I appreciate your kind words and constructive feedback. You make a valid suggestion. My line of thinking on this one was to try to create an interesting main character who REALLY doesn't fit in. And to have the double ghost (both Masoud in the costume and the 'ghost' friend), Masoud needed something to really want to make him wear a sheet over his face rather than just go as a normal super hero. I mention the 'lemon look' on the other kids faces so he's always aware of how different he is. Anyways just my thoughts on how I set i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:44 Apr 30, 2023

I can see why you get five shortlisted stories in 12 entries. Super-hero stuff here!

Reply

V. S. Rose
23:35 May 02, 2023

Thanks Mary, you're too kind. The shortlists are nice, but just having people read your stories, rather than gathering dust in a closet, is the best part. I've noticed there's a lot of deserving writers and stories on here that don't get shortlisted.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
09:52 Apr 29, 2023

This is fantastic. It is really nicely paced so that the reader is in on who Amir is fairly quickly but not too soon. The narrative if voice is completely engaging. Kids writing is hard, but this is really nicely done. AND, I love the entire argument about superheroes. When I saw this prompt, I was excited as I am a sidekick person, not a fan of the superhero concept at all. This one delivers my sentiments exactly and does so in a really engaging way. Love it.

Reply

V. S. Rose
23:01 May 02, 2023

Thanks Laurel. I appreciate the supportive words. I was experimenting with writing from a kid's POV so I'm glad you thought it came off well, especially from a talented writer like yourself. I'm on the same page with you with the whole superhero thing. Individualism is ingrained into Western culture, whereas our Eastern counterparts have a more 'collective' mindset. Sometimes it's nice to take a page from their books.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:44 Apr 29, 2023

So sweet! I don’t know if I even needed the backstory about bombs and lost dads and disfigurement. The emerging realization that Amir was a figment of Masoud’s imagination conjured by his own self-doubt was already such a loving little truth bomb. Kids can be both so cruel and so endearing.

Reply

V. S. Rose
16:06 May 02, 2023

Thanks Anne. I'm experimenting with writing from a kid's perspective. Your feedback is always appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:03 Apr 29, 2023

V.S. Such a lovely tale. Manoosh was judged by the way he looked and spoke and by what he brought to school to eat. Kids can be cruel. We are told about how he survived a bomb blast that took his brother and father. Very tragic and probably why Amir was always with him. Until he found a friend. It is a pleasure to read. The sidekick to. someone who makes her feel ok and gets the girl in the end. Lovely way to end the story. LF6

Reply

V. S. Rose
15:33 May 02, 2023

Thanks Lily. The commentary is always appreciated. I might have to add here the MC is a boy, his name is Masoud. Originally had a different name, but I changed it because it was confusing (I messed up).

Reply

Lily Finch
16:54 May 02, 2023

I just changed my she and her pronoun and possessives to he and her. LOL. Hope my comments will still ring true. I totally messed up on the name though? I must be out to lunch. :) LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Galen Gower
01:25 Apr 29, 2023

Ok, I'm a grown man and I am not ashamed of my feelings. Your story is beautiful and it made me cry. This is not the usual feedback I'm into giving, but I don't think you really need any other input, not from me or probably anyone else. I'll be rooting for you to win, but even if you don't, I'll think about this story for a long time.

Reply

V. S. Rose
01:28 May 02, 2023

Your words mean a lot Galen. I felt this story needed to be told. Super appreciative for the support.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Hunt
15:22 Aug 03, 2023

Wow I teared up reading this - what a beautiful story about kindness and love in a cruel and scary world.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Miriam Anderson
12:20 May 10, 2023

Beautiful! Great dialogue, engaging plot. And the moral of the story was sweet and well-developed. Great job! Keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.