The Vase

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about a first or last kiss.... view prompt

20 comments

American Drama

Then there's Mama. She was a cruel woman. Everyone got a slice of her tongue. She spoke few words but when she spoke, the words were fire and ice. Papa, the strongest man I have ever seen was weak and sad when he was with her. He couldn't stop the fire from her tongue. When she was finished, he would come out of her room with his head bowed and his knees shaking. I asked why he let her do that to him. All he could do was shake his head and say "I love her. She wasn't always that way." He'd pull out the wedding picture and cradle it in his arms as though it were a holy object that would break. "See how beautiful she was, Rona?. Her blonde hair with the violets in them. The soft white dress she wore and her beautiful smile. I always told her it could light up the room. " I looked at the picture as I had a thousand times before. This was a different Mama: a young woman who had the love of her life standing next to her. "Papa, you look so handsome. I haven't seen your smile in a long time. " I put my hand on his arm.

"Rona, my smile was all goofy teeth and tongue tied. I was so happy to marry your mama I couldn't talk. I almost forgot how to say I do when the preacher asked me. Maureen's smile lit up the room and her laughter carried my nerves away. She squeezed my hand and said, 'I do too, George!"

Later, we heard glass breaking as Mama started throwing whatever she could find. The door to her room was always closed but we always knew what she was destroying. Last time, it was a vase that we gave her for her birthday. She had actually smiled when she got it and the first thing she did was fill it with yellow roses from Papas rose garden. The fragrance filled the house. We were smiling for a week. After that, the fragrance faded, and the roses withered away. So did Mama's mood. I asked her if she wanted me to go out and pick more roses for her. She gave me that look, the one filled with knives and darkness. She grabbed the roses out of the vase and started to tear them up. When she was finished, the dead rose petals were strewn all over the house like a torn feather mattress. The smell of decay was pervasive. The vase lay on its side but was somehow, not broken. I picked it up and took it to my room. When Papa came home, he saw the mess. I was sitting on the stairs opposite Mama's closed door, listening for any sound coming from within. There was only silence. When Papa opened her door, the darkness fell out of the room like a load of dirt. The anger and loneliness lingered in the air and smelled like filth.

"Mo, what can I do for you, honey?"

"Stop calling me Mo."

"Sorry Maureen. It's just..Mo is the pet name that you wanted me to call you. I...I love it so."

"Get out George." He closed her door gently as he left the room, He saw me sitting on the stairs. "It's ok, Rona, Mama needs some time."

"I know, Papa."

He hugged me. ."Are you hungry?"

"Yes, Papa, I didn't have lunch."

Papa sighed. "You must be starving. How 'bout we go and get a hamburger and vanilla shake?"

"Sounds good Papa!" I took his hand. "But what about Mama? She must be hungry too!"

"We'll bring back a burger for her."

PART 2-

My brother Garret hasn't been seen for a year. Mama kicked him out when he was sixteen. Papa tried to keep him home, but Gar had had enough. Mama told him he was worthless since he wasn't helping to earn a living. Garret told her he would get a job after school. She told him, why go to school when all you can get are c+? You should be a man and put food on the table.

After that, he ran to his room and started packing. All he had was his baseball mitt, a few t shirts and his overalls. He put on his sneakers, but he had outgrown them. I ran to Papa's closet and grabbed a pair of Papa's shoes. He tried them on but they were too big. "It's ok, Rona. They'll fit if I wear 2 pairs of socks. " He grabbed his bag and ran down the stairs. "Gar!! Do you have to go? Stay. She'll get better, she always does! what about your math test tomorrow? Gar!"

"Bye Rona!" He yelled as he ran out the door. He was staying in a boarding house in the next town. Papa sent him money and clothes sometimes. Once, he sent a pair of new boots. When he didn't hear from Garret for a few weeks, he went to Ms. Emily's boarding house. Ms. Em said Gar left after Mama called him. He told Ms. Em that Mama was angrier than he ever heard so he ran away. Papa saw the boots. They were still in the box. When he brought them home, he put them in the back of his closet., hoping that Gar would come home. The boots, like the wedding picture were just a memento of how Papa wanted things to be: full of false hope and empty happiness. Mama found them. She left them in pieces on Papa's bed, along with the knife she used to cut them with.

They hadn't spoken for a month afterwards. Papa went to work and lived his usual routine, I went to school every day and sat by myself at lunchtime, away from the other children. I had taken the wedding picture out of Papa's room when he wasn't looking. When I took out my sandwich, I removed the picture from my book bag. She was a stranger, this lady with a smile and violets in her hair. I asked Papa once, why she is the way she is now, what had changed? He always told me he didn't know but deep down, under all that sadness, he kept the truth buried.

Mama, meantime, stayed in her darkened room, only coming out for food. Later, Papa found that she used pails for her toilet, then empty bottles, then the rug.

Mama finally came out of her room, took a long hot shower and washed her clothes. It took us two weeks to clean her room. We opened her windows, dusted her furniture with lemon Pledge, and washed her sheets with bleach. When we finished, the room was sunny and fresh smelling. The spots in the carpet never went away and are a constant reminder of what Mama had done. I put a small round table over one of the spots and moved her rocking chair over another one. I was pleased, the little table and rocker were by the window and gave a nice sunny place for Mama to sit. I went out and picked some roses for her vase and placed it on the little table.

"Can I show her, Papa?" He nodded. "Mama, come see what we did." She let me take her by the hand and show her the peaceful little nook we'd made for her. She sat in her rocker and smelled the roses. "Rona, come sit with me, honey." I sat down beside her and placed my head in her lap. It was a good day. Papa smiled and sat on her bed. We sat, with peace and quiet as company. She motioned over to Papa. As he reached down, they kissed, as if for the first time.

February 12, 2024 19:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Wally Schmidt
18:45 Mar 10, 2024

"She wasn't always that way." alludes to the backstory the Mama has and it made me want to know a little more about her mental health journey. But as it is, you focused on the impact it has on those around her. It was wonderfully written and absorbing. So many wonderfully descriptive lines like "When Papa opened her door, the darkness fell out of the room like a load of dirt." Thanks for sharing this story. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:19 Mar 08, 2024

So nicely written, LJ. The characters look so real, and the parallel between mama and the roses sounds beautiful! All the best for your writing!

Reply

L J
19:27 Mar 08, 2024

thank you for taking the time to read it! Your comments are very appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jenny Cook
03:55 Feb 24, 2024

What a beautiful story. For so long,mental illness was not spoken about,but this wonderful tale shows the way it affects the whole family.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
22:20 Feb 23, 2024

Powerful, painful, heartbreaking. Love has so many forms and it's not always pretty, no matter how much we want it to be. Yes, do keep this one going. There's a book here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jesse Smith
20:14 Feb 23, 2024

This is a powerful story, LJ! A broken family clinging to dreams of the past and hope for the future. While I haven't experienced anything to this degree, there are elements to which I can certainly relate. The father's inner struggle is palpable, but you exquisitely display that love can be such a strong bond that it can surpass reason and emotional wounds. And the ending is fantastic! It brings the story together in a beautiful blend of happiness and sadness. Well done!

Reply

L J
22:25 Feb 24, 2024

Jesse, thank you for your comments! Very appreciated. Thanks for taking time to read mine

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
11:31 Feb 21, 2024

LJ - What an ugly side of love. It really moved me. Its easy to love when things are easy isn't it? But I think the real test of love is this: Staying beside someone at their ugliest. This story really did bring tears to my eyes. See, my mother was a violent paranoid schizophrenic. My sister and I had wildly different responses. My sister chose anger and she's still angry. I can't blame her for that. But really, our mother was just so childlike at times I found myself very much like Rona. Wondering how she ended up this way and just holding ...

Reply

L J
19:40 Feb 21, 2024

Danie: Your compliments made me cry. Thank you so much for such a thorough response and I am so sorry you went through that! This is just the beginning of the saga I Think. I will be looking at future prompts to see if this will fit in. You have encouraged me to delve into this further. Thanks and I will continue to follow your amazing works!

Reply

Danie Holland
10:59 Feb 22, 2024

Oh I didn’t mean to make you cry! But happy to encourage you to keep writing. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:18 Feb 21, 2024

So heart-breaking. Well written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
23:50 Feb 19, 2024

Oh my ! This was so sad and poignant. It wasn't until the urinating on the carpet part that I understood what was going on. The details were very rich and made the story immersive. Lovely job !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristina Aziz
19:28 Feb 19, 2024

This is the kind of love that questions such as "would you love me if I were a worm" come from. Would you love me if I was mean? Sad? Out of my mind a little (or a lot)? This piece definitely struck a chord.

Reply

L J
20:44 Feb 19, 2024

thanks! I appreciate you taking the time! Comments are always welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
00:36 Feb 19, 2024

The sensory details and imagery along with the actions and storyline have the authenticity of emotional truth in this story. It engages the reader and feels raw, real and genuine.as a retired healthcare worker this reminds me of things I have seen. The story flows well and the gritty realism has a strong impact. Well done!

Reply

L J
16:03 Feb 19, 2024

Thanks Kristi! That's what I was hoping for! I appreciate the comments: as one retired healthcare worker to another! I'll look forward to reading more of your stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
22:48 Feb 18, 2024

This was very sad, then very sweet. Really nice blend and transition. Great stuff

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nolan Shultz
21:11 Feb 18, 2024

Heart wrenching. Great pacing. Awesome work!

Reply

L J
21:19 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you for taking time to read it! what a great compliment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
22:30 Feb 17, 2024

Oh my goodness LJ this is so heartbreaking. This left me wanting to know so much more about the family. Great job! So many families experience such heartbreak!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.