Sacrifices Unspoken

Submitted into Contest #270 in response to: Write a story in the form of a recipe.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Drama Sad

Ingredients:

  • A girl:

She can be anyone, but the recipe works best if her hair is thick and strong yet soft as it falls over her shoulders. Her hair speaks of patience and hope, dreams that float but haven’t yet landed in reality. Her eyes must be a warm hazel, like an autumn afternoon, full of unspoken dreams, a combination of gentleness and unrealized desires. They carry the impression of a future she longs for, always near but never fully realized. Her skin, soft and untouched by the passage of time, holds the fragility of youth. Each touch from her is a promise of fragility, calling for protection and unconditional love.

  • A boy:

He must be charming and confident, with a gaze that promises everything you’ve ever wanted. His eyes are direct but covered in perfect smiles, like rays of sunlight that make you feel warm inside. When you look at him, you feel an unspoken yet clear promise: he is everything you’ve been waiting for. His voice, smooth and flowing, lures you into a world of love and devotion. The words he speaks are more than sounds; they weave a fine web that surrounds you, protecting and convincing you that he’s the answer to your every desire. Each part of his presence is carefully calculated, from how he styles his hair to his choice of flawless clothes. His perfect appearance is meant to highlight the perfection he promises. Each gesture is designed to make you believe life with him will be without flaws. However, beneath this charm lies a manipulative nature, a man who cares more for his own needs than anyone else’s.

  • A drop of love at first sight:

This is the unexpected spark that changes everything in an instant. It’s like a single breath held too long, a moment of eternity wrapped in a second. Everything transforms when their eyes meet, and time freezes for them. Love at first sight can’t be planned; it arrives out of nowhere, like a raindrop that, although small, is enough to bloom into an illusion of eternal happiness. Every second that follows this encounter is drenched in unspoken promises, in hopes they haven’t even fully realized yet. It feels like a gentle rain spreading across the surface, creating the illusion that everything is perfect, even though darker clouds are gathering on the horizon, waiting to strike with hidden storms.

  • A quick wedding, celebrated with optimism:

It’s that moment when everything seems to align perfectly, even though they barely know each other. Their love is so intense that every doubt fades away. She wears a delicate white dress, and he looks at her like she’s everything he’s ever wanted. Around them, friends and family smile, unaware of the speed and depth of their relationship. The atmosphere is full of optimism, with promises filling the air. Everything seems so bright and full of hope, but beneath the layers of joy, cracks begin to form in the rushed foundation they’ve built. Like a fragile painting, it only takes a tiny fissure for reality to creep in.

  • A cozy home, with the woman at its center:

This is where she feels most at home, where all her hopes and dreams are invested. Every corner of the house reflects her presence—from the carefully chosen curtains to the fresh flowers she places in vases. The house is warm and welcoming, transformed by her touch into a sanctuary from the outside world. Each day unfolds within these walls, where her love and care are evident in every small detail. The meals she prepares are done with patience and affection, the clothes are taken care of meticulously, and each task is performed with devotion. Her life revolves around the house she builds for her family, but the bright light of her dedication comes at the cost of her own dreams, which she sacrifices in silence for the happiness of others.

  • A stable job for the man:

This job represents the backbone of their life together, the symbol of his responsibility to provide. Each day, he leaves home, burdened with the role of being the breadwinner. His work is what sustains the family financially, but over time, it becomes a justification for his increasing absence, both physical and emotional. While he invests his time and energy into his work, she stays at home, isolated in the world she’s carefully crafted. His job becomes not just an excuse for his absences but also a refuge where he nurtures his image of strength and dedication. To the outside world, his stable job is a mark of success, giving him a respectable status. But for her, it becomes a barrier, an invisible wall that grows taller each day, making him more distant. His focus on work justifies the void in their relationship, and the longer it persists, the deeper it becomes.

  • A child, the light of her life:

Among all the changes and sacrifices she’s made, the child is her ray of sunshine, the beacon that gives meaning to every day. From the very first heartbeat, the child becomes the center of her universe, the reason she finds the strength to carry on. Each smile from her child fills her with pure, unadulterated joy, and in those eyes, she sees the reflection of all the unconditional love she gives. She becomes a heroine in the child’s eyes, a protector from all the world’s dangers, offering all her love without expecting anything in return. The child is the purpose of her existence, a light that soothes her during dark days and restless nights. In every touch and every sleepless night beside the cradle, she finds peace and courage. The bond with her child gives her a new heartbeat, a chance to rediscover love that needs no masks, no promises. As her relationship with her husband grows colder, the child becomes the only source of love and warmth, guiding her through the storms inside her heart. It’s for the child that she rises after each fall, finding a way to smile again even when her heart is breaking. This child gives her purpose and a reason to believe that true love still exists, even if it no longer comes from her husband.

  • A drop of hope and dedication:

This ingredient is essential, driving her forward even in the darkest times. Hope flickers like a small, steady flame in her heart, refusing to go out even when everything else seems to crumble. Each morning, she wakes with the belief that maybe today will be better, that perhaps her husband will return to being the charming man she once fell in love with, that the family she has worked so hard to build will find peace and happiness again. Her dedication is unshakable, deep, and unconditional. She gives everything without expecting anything in return, offering her body and soul for the benefit of those she loves. She finds purpose in serving her family, even when her love is not appreciated or reciprocated. Hope becomes her lifeline, a tiny spark that keeps her going, day after day, believing that one day, her sacrifices will be rewarded. One day, her love will be acknowledged. Her dedication defines her, shining in every role she plays: wife, mother, friend. Every action is driven by a desire to protect and care for those around her. Hope is the anchor that keeps her steady in times of hardship, and her silent devotion becomes a continuous offering on the family altar. She lives by the belief that love is worth every sacrifice, that one day, perhaps, the life she dreams of will be hers too.

  • An ever-growing dose of silent sacrifices:

At first, her sacrifices seem small and inconsequential, natural gestures of love and devotion. She puts her needs aside, believing that the happiness of her family is more important than her own. She holds onto the conviction that it will all be worth it in the end. But as time goes on, the sacrifices begin to grow heavier. She starts to feel the weight of holding the family together on her shoulders. Without her efforts, she fears everything will fall apart. She gives up her career, her friends, and even pieces of her own identity, all without complaint. In silence, she swallows her frustrations and hides her pain, convinced that her role is to endure, to support, to keep things balanced. Each sacrifice becomes deeper, heavier, but she doesn’t complain. She doesn’t seek recognition, continuing to believe that love means sacrificing for others. These silent sacrifices become part of her daily life. It’s no longer a choice but a way of existing. Each day, she gives more of herself to her family, hoping that one day she’ll be seen, appreciated, and understood. But often, her sacrifices remain invisible, like sand slipping through fingers, unnoticed until she begins to lose herself, becoming a shadow of the person she once was.

  • A hidden narcissist, gradually revealed:

At first, he seems perfect—charming, charismatic, everything she ever wanted. He knows how to play the role, saying all the right things to make her feel special and loved. In his eyes, she sees a future full of promises. But behind this mask of affection, a narcissist hides, and his true nature slowly emerges. It begins with subtle criticisms veiled as compliments, hinting that she’s not doing enough. Over time, his cold gestures and silences grow, manipulating her emotions and making her feel guilty. Gradually, everything revolves around him, and she loses herself trying to keep him happy. He constantly asserts his superiority, belittling her feelings and making her doubt herself. In public, he’s the perfect husband—flawless and admired—but in private, he’s cold, harsh, and feeds off her suffering, always making her feel at fault for any problems.

  • A pinch of harsh words, growing tension:

At first, the harsh words seem harmless, disguised as playful comments. “Why didn’t you do that better?” “Couldn’t you see this wasn’t right?” Each comes with a smile, making it easy for her to brush off. But slowly, these words pile up like raindrops turning into a storm. Every small mistake becomes a reason for criticism, every disagreement a spark for conflict. He makes her feel as though it’s all her fault—that if only she were more attentive or better, everything would be perfect. The tension between them thickens, growing heavier with each argument. He never resolves their disputes but lets them fester, creating frustration. She tries her hardest to please him, but no matter what she does, it’s never enough. Their home transforms into a silent battlefield, with every word becoming a weapon designed to make her feel small and powerless. Over time, these words leave deep scars, eroding her strength. Despite this, she clings to the hope that one day things will return to how they were. She believes that if she works harder, she can make him happy again, unaware that she’s caught in a spiral of emotional manipulation and control.

  • A teaspoon of shattered trust:

In the beginning, her trust in him seemed unbreakable. She believed in his promises and the perfect image he presented. She placed her heart in his hands, never suspecting it would be slowly chipped away. It starts with small lies hidden behind warm smiles, gradually leading to broken promises and inconsistent behavior. He blames her unfairly and, when confronted, claims he didn’t mean to hurt her. With each lie and broken promise, her trust erodes. She starts to doubt his intentions and even her own perception. His manipulations make her question reality until the trust she had dissolves entirely. Along with her trust in him, her confidence in herself crumbles. No matter how hard she tries, it feels as though nothing is ever enough. Where once she felt protected by him, she now feels vulnerable and afraid. Each unresolved conflict deepens the emotional wounds, until the love and trust she once held are shattered into pieces, lost in the storm of manipulation.

  • A handful of public charm, hiding cruelty in the shadows:

In front of the world, he is the perfect husband—charming, smiling, always attentive to the needs of others. Each gesture is carefully calculated, each word spoken with elegance. He plays the part flawlessly, projecting the image of a man who loves his family and never falters. In public, he’s admired by everyone, seen as a model of success and charisma. His public charm is so convincing, it’s almost hypnotic. When they’re with friends or family, he makes sure to show affection, touching her tenderly, showering her with compliments, and never missing an opportunity to present them as the perfect couple. Their friends and family think she’s lucky, that she has the ideal partner. But beneath this charming exterior lies a much darker truth. Behind closed doors, the mask falls, revealing his true self. In private, he’s cold, distant, and full of reproach. The words that once seemed sweet turn sharp, like knives aimed at her heart. The affection he shows in public disappears, replaced with cruel silence or harsh criticism. He uses his words like weapons, carefully crafted to cut her down, but never in front of others. His cruelty is not physical, but emotional, a slow, relentless form of psychological torment. He controls her with subtle threats, with long silences, with cutting remarks disguised as truth. While he continues to play the role of the perfect husband in public, in private he destroys her confidence bit by bit. The duality of his behavior is overwhelming for her. She no longer knows which version of him is real—the charming man everyone loves, or the cruel stranger who hides behind that facade.

  • A final garnish of unfulfilled dreams and resilience:

Deep inside her lie all the dreams she once nurtured, the dreams that once glowed with hope. Her dreams of a perfect love, a harmonious family, a home filled with happiness. She imagined a life of fulfillment beside him, where they would grow together and support one another. But those dreams, like delicate flowers, have withered in the harsh reality of their life together. Her dreams are now nothing more than unspoken desires, tucked away in the back of her mind, waiting for a moment that will never come. She gave up those dreams for the sake of her family, believing that one day her time would come, that she would be loved and appreciated for who she truly is. But now she knows that the love she longed for will never arrive. Yet despite the loss of her dreams, she remains resilient. This resilience is her greatest strength, a quiet force that keeps her going even when everything around her falls apart. Though her dreams have crumbled, she hasn’t allowed herself to be completely defeated. Her resilience helps her get out of bed each morning, to keep fighting for her child and for her own survival. It’s not a loud or dramatic strength, but a steady, enduring resolve. Even though she knows that many of her dreams will never be realized, she keeps going, holding on to the hope that, somehow, she’ll find a way to endure. Behind her tired smile and the silence she carries is a woman who continues to fight, even when the life she dreamed of has been shattered beyond repair.

Instructions for the recipe:

  1. Start with the girl: Place her in a dream-like setting, where her soft hair and hazel eyes hint at unfulfilled hopes. Add a touch of fragility, as these dreams will remain unspoken promises.
  2. Add the charming boy: He enters her life like a spark, a love at first sight that feels like everything she’s ever wanted. He plays the role of the ideal man perfectly, but beneath the surface, he hides manipulation and control.
  3. Sprinkle in love at first sight: The spark ignites quickly, creating an illusion of eternal happiness, though storms lie just beyond the horizon.
  4. Hasten the wedding: Speed up the process. A quick wedding full of optimism, where family and friends smile, unaware of the cracks forming underneath.
  5. Place the girl at the heart of the home: She becomes the center of the household, sacrificing her dreams to care for others. Over time, she becomes indispensable but invisible.
  6. Maintain distance through work: The man’s job becomes a symbol of his responsibility, but also a barrier, as his absence creates emotional distance between them.
  7. Introduce the light of her life—the child: The child becomes her reason to keep going, a source of unconditional love and happiness.
  8. Sprinkle with hope and dedication: A daily drop of hope fuels her belief that one day, her sacrifices will be recognized. Her dedication to her family remains unwavering.
  9. Increase the silent sacrifices: As time passes, the sacrifices grow. She gives up her career, her dreams, and her identity, silently hoping to be seen and appreciated.
  10. Reveal the hidden narcissist: Gradually, the boy’s true nature emerges. He becomes controlling, manipulating her emotions while maintaining a perfect public image.
  11. Add tension and harsh words: Tensions grow, as harsh words and criticism create a toxic atmosphere in the home. The weight of his reproaches becomes too much to bear.
  12. A teaspoon of shattered trust: The trust she once had in him erodes, replaced by doubt and bitterness.
  13. A handful of public charm, hiding cruelty: In public, he is charming, but behind closed doors, he is emotionally cruel, eroding her self-esteem.
  14. Finish with a garnish of unfulfilled dreams and resilience: Her dreams have been shattered, but her resilience keeps her going. Though the life she dreamed of may never come, she continues to fight for her child and her survival.

Serving:

Serve this life story as a recipe for a woman who lived in the shadow of sacrifices but continues to fight and hope, even in the silence of her unfulfilled dreams.

September 27, 2024 21:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Trudy Jas
19:08 Sep 28, 2024

So true, so sad.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
14:39 Sep 28, 2024

Alexandra, this was beautiful ! The imagery here is rather poetic and rich, which I love. It's a story that is unfortunately very much unfortunately common. Here's to hoping things get better for her. Perhaps, this is why I'm adamant that even in a relationship, I not give up who I am (and yes, that means I want to have a career even in marriage). Lovely stuff !

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.