20 comments

Bedtime Fantasy Suspense

Beneath a hooded cloak, I gaze up at all the things on fire in the sky, searching for shooting stars. The sky is as vast and deep as the ocean, as dark and sinister as the forest; it upholds all of its chaos, displaying its trauma, as if to say: “You should know better than to trust in me.” I distract myself, looking for constellations while I wait for morning, hopeful that a glowing streak of light might seize my wish and free me of this burden.


Release me of those devil’s eyes, my heart yearns.


When a cloud emerges from my lips, I pull my cloak tighter around my chest, grateful mother had sewn one so thick, though none would ever be thick enough to shield me from the cold and dark events I’d just encountered. The image of my grandmother writhing and stretching – screaming – from inside that beastly creature’s stomach is one not even a grown adult would have easily taken in. How had I been so foolish? How, for one second, had I believed that thing to resemble my sweetest and most tender grandmother?


The moment replays in my head as I know it will forever: my grandmother’s pink bonnet, a little frumpier than usual; her back turned away from me as she beckoned me to her from her bed, her voice much deeper and hoarse than I’d ever heard it before. There’d been a pot left on the stove, all its contents boiled to nothing but steam when I’d arrived, which I thought unusual, as Grandmother was always so masterful in the kitchen. I suppose, my youthful mind had thought she was ill, remembering the worry that festered in me when she did not immediately come to greet me at the door. She’d asked me to come closer so she could see me better, but her vision had never once given her trouble. My concern for her unwonted state had drawn me to her, and with every verbalized remark about her appearance, Grandmother – whom now I know was that wretched beast – had a reassuring response, pulling me closer and closer to her side, until…


“There!” I shout into the lonely night, my finger latched onto the flying star’s tail. Just between Orion and the North, I see the streak of a meteor on fire in the sky. I’m about to close my eyes and send my wish away with it before it can sizzle out when I notice something strange about it.


It’s not sizzling out. It’s flying across the sky unlike any shooting star I’d ever seen. I follow its trail with my eyes, enamored by its continued existence. That’s when I realize it’s not a shooting star.


It’s a boat.


A large paper sailboat is flying across the ocean sky, and in it is a young boy wearing a wolf costume. Next to him, a large headed monster with giant, gnashing teeth is hollering and whooping and howling at the moon.


When the boy sees me – how he sees me from way up there, I am not sure – he points at me and flails his arms up high, trying to capture my already undivided attention. “Little Red, Little Red, come with us!” he shouts.


Who? Little Red? Me? I am speechless.


“Come on an adventure with us!” the wolf-boy yells again before joining the monster beside him in a howl towards the moon.


For a moment, I look around, half-expecting myself to wake from a dream. But still, my grandmother’s empty, unlit house is behind me, its broken windows a reminder of the horrific battle I’d survived earlier. Cool, crisp air runs sharp across my cheeks. A sinister forest pretends to sleep just beyond her cottage’s edges, taunting me with its wicked captivity. I can’t leave here, fearful of what other demons these wild woods can produce. I can’t go back inside to that slain beast, my grandmother decaying in his stomach. I cannot go home, for how would I explain it all to my parents? They’d sent me to check on Grandmother, to bring her flowers and fresh bread, how could I explain all that had happened?


The beast and the boy sail above me, more beautiful than any ball of fire I’ve seen in the sky. I hear them hollering louder and louder. I hear them snarling and growling into the night like wild things, and it sounds like freedom.


Mother always taught me to be cautious of strangers… I consider her disapproval for a breath.


“Well, are you coming?” the boy asks, a humor around the edges of his words, as if my moment of consideration is something to be mocked, as if my answer should come immediately. The question ripples across the glade like a wave, echoing through my body. The impossibility of the request is perhaps the most exciting thing about it. How would I even get up there? And to go where? For a moment, I feel as if I am the one in the boat, leaning over the edge and inviting a stranger to join me on an unknown excursion into the abyss. It is tempting… I had been such a good little girl my entire life, and look where it got me? Face-to-face with a devil who’d swallowed Grandmother whole and tried to rip me to pieces. It was time to defy the rules the way the rules had defied me.


There’s no where else to go, but up, I tell myself, and immediately, my impulsive surrender fills me with an exhilaration that is almost an exact contrast to my earlier state of shock.


I look up at the hovering boat in the sky and nod before I can change my mind. Almost instantly, the boy is hooting and whistling. His monster pumps his clawed fists into the air beside him.


“There,” the boy commands, pointing towards the side of my grandmother’s cottage. “Climb up the side and jump! We’ll come down and catch you.”


Without a word, I sprint towards the side of her home, fighting through thorns from her rose garden, careful not to step in shattered glass. The stone face of her house is easy to grip and before I know it, I am halfway to the rooftop. With each stride upwards, the moonlight’s glow casts a wider net, illuminating my path. I only look down once, granting a final goodbye to Grandmother. I see my shadow cast below me, my cloak like a freedom flag across the ground. As my heart runs its own race inside my chest, I feel my doubts drown out; the beast’s eyes fade away; the memory of tonight’s unspeakable tragedy diminishes. Perhaps, this was the answer to my wish all along. Perhaps, this was the shooting star I had been searching for, come to grant me freedom from my darkest hour.


It takes all of my strength to cast my legs up and over onto the roof, and if not for the adrenaline and excitement of the adventure ahead of me, I might be completely breathless. I spring to my feet, expecting the boy and his boat to be right there waiting; but when I straighten, there is only a horizon of treetops. I scan the empty sky, searching once again for my ball of fire in the vast violet empyrean. My search is almost fruitless, and I feel my heart sputtering against the panic, until a flash finally catches my eye. I catch sight of them, but they are not where they should be. They are far, far away, a distance that seems further than when I had been on the ground. I have to squint to make certain that it’s them, and then it becomes all too certain…


Like a cookie cutter pressed into the moon’s surface, a silhouette of a sailboat soars across its vibrant halo. The beast is snarling, as evil and grim as the one I’d met earlier, while the boy in his animal suit sends maniacal laughter through his splicing lips.


“You should have known to never trust a wolf,” the boy scolds. And then as quick as a shooting star darting across the sky, he sails away, leaving me and my wish behind. 

December 01, 2023 06:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Danie Holland
12:40 Dec 11, 2023

I think that's the beautiful thing about humans, Annemarie. How often we seek out that trust again, allowing ourselves to set out on another adventure even when the last one left us scarred. In fact, it's a shame when it's quite the opposite. When we allow past tragedies to scare us away from climbing on to the roof, ready to jump again. Sometimes we tell ourselves, we should have seen the risk, the red flags, the signs warning us to stay home, stay in bed. Hide hide hide. But no one really wants that. I think a small part of all of us wants...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:47 Dec 11, 2023

You know, Danie, it seems like you always get the heart of it. We cannot survive without trusting others if you really think of it. And perhaps trusting too soon is a youthful and naive thing, but I think we need more of that youthful willingness. Red hoped children hope. She *still* believes people to be inherently good, even after everything she went through. And I don't think that's a bad thing. Foolish, but really beautiful. Thanks for reading, Danie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Lane
16:28 Dec 09, 2023

Very cool twist on the classic story AnneMarie! I was struck by how Red so quickly wanted to trust again, though I suppose it was more to escape her turmoil. Exceptionally creative and surprisingly insightful. Well done.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:19 Dec 09, 2023

Thanks, James! I realize Red's willingness to trust is a bit abrupt, considering all she has been through. But you're right about her eagerness to escape. This was actually an experimental poem when I first wrote it - fantasy is not my thing at all - and the poem was very minimal and quick and I kind of liked that quality so I decided to leave it (that and I've been getting a little lazy due to some massive writers block 😅). But I appreciate you taking the time to read. I'll make sure to get to your latest story soon. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
18:41 Dec 08, 2023

I like the dark, magical elements here and the mash-up of fairytales. It's fun and fresh and ultimately carries the same grim themes as the original Red Riding Hood story. The simple plot and message are well-supported by strong, vibrant language throughout. Well done. Great metaphors in these lines: "I see my shadow cast below me, my cloak like a freedom flag across the ground." "Like a cookie cutter pressed into the moon’s surface, a silhouette of a sailboat soars across its vibrant halo."

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:15 Dec 09, 2023

Those are some of my favorite lines from this piece too. :) thanks for reading, Aeris! It was definitely a different approach than I usually take so I'm glad it worked out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
22:07 Dec 07, 2023

I've been keeping a list of vocabulary words and "empyrean" is going on it; it's such a magical sounding word. Thanks for sharing your story!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:14 Dec 09, 2023

Thanks Kailani! A vocab list is a great idea! I am always using a thesaurus to expand my vocabulary and that's how I found this magical word 💫 thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
16:48 Dec 05, 2023

Excellent! It also felt at one point like we were taking on Peter Pan vibes. Really fun read.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:15 Dec 05, 2023

Fairytale vibes are certainly the intention here. Fantasy is such a hard genre for me but I had fun introducing the two characters for a short little blip. Thanks for reading, Hazel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David McCahan
08:06 Dec 05, 2023

What a wonderful combination. The initial tension gave way to a delightful release once the boat showed up. Think you nailed the combination of the two stories.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:46 Dec 05, 2023

Thanks, David! I had a lot of fun imaging the two characters together :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
17:36 Dec 03, 2023

Fine work Anne. I think you are good at this. Dialogue part most.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
04:29 Dec 02, 2023

I was expecting a 'bloodier- end to this Grimm tale ;) I thought the imagery was fantastic! I liked this line- 'A sinister forest pretends to sleep just beyond her cottage’s edges, taunting me with its wicked captivity.' Thanks!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:35 Dec 02, 2023

Thanks for reading Marty! I don't think a bloody end really crossed my mind, but you're the second person to say that they expected a more violent ending so maybe I missed an opportunity. The idea was to combine Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are" with Little Red Riding Hood. While Red's story is a rather dark, Sendak's is more childish and innocent, so perhaps that's why I didn't go that way.... I appreciate the feedback and so glad the imagery worked!

Reply

Marty B
00:29 Dec 03, 2023

The original Grimm's tales were extremely violent and bloody, so Im glad Sendak's influence won out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:31 Dec 01, 2023

An interesting follow up to the fairy tale, and considering what happened, yeah, Red should have known better. I got a bad vibe from the boat, but I was expecting more violence rather than trickery. The story is cruel to Red, but that's all right. Sometimes life is cruel, and we must all learn to deal with that. And I think that's what this story is really about. It's learning, it's a coming of age. With the death of her grandmother and the bloody battle with the wolf, Red has lost her innocence. She wants to go back to how things were, an...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:59 Dec 02, 2023

"With the death of her grandmother and the bloody battle with the wolf, Red has lost her innocence. She wants to go back to how things were, and the boy offers an opportunity, but of course you can never go back to childhood. Nothing she does will bring her grandmother back." - I think you nailed it with this. Not sure I would have articulated this meaning so well, thank you. As for the lack of a violent ending, this was intended to be a mash up of Little Red Riding Hood and Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are." So even though Red'...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
06:43 Dec 01, 2023

When you wish upon a star... fantastical!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:34 Dec 01, 2023

Thanks for reading, Mary! 💫

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.