Que Sera, Sera. (What will be, will be.)

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Start your story with a major news event breaking — one that will change the world forever.... view prompt

5 comments

Drama Fiction Happy

As we head into a new era, one that is filled with change, we are about to witness history being made. America has always been led by a man, usually white. In today’s world, with all the little children watching, we are about to break ground with a new leader. This story is about what can happen if the current President decides to step down and let his Vice President — a woman of color — lead The United States of America.

The President looked at the camera as he began to address the nation. He was rapidly aging, and his health was seriously starting to decline. He looked at his Vice President — a woman of color — and smiled. This was the day. This was the day to make history. 

His voice cracked a bit as he began his speech. 

***

John Patton, Jr., son of John and Mary Patton, sat in the living room and stared up at his family’s flat-screen smart TV. He watched as the President spoke to the nation about his ever increasing health issues, how we was stepping down, and how he was passing the Presidency to the Vice President. Tears glistening in her eyes, the Vice President of The United States stood up behind the microphone stand and started her first speech as President of the United States.  

John Patton, Jr. watched and absorbed all this with big, brown eyes peering out of his dark skin. He was only 10, but in his short life, he had seen only two presidents lead the country since he was born in 2011 — a man of color and a white man. Now, this new president (another white man) had chosen to step down and let his Vice President lead the country, and she was a dark-skinned woman, not a man, or a white person — a woman. Of color. Bi-racial. African-American and Asian-American. John knew this was a big change from his history books at school. As the son of a black man and a white woman, he was a mixed child himself. He could not wait to see what kind of changes this would bring about for his country. 

John’s mother and father were celebrating with friends in the other room with the TV blaring loud enough to hear the new President’s speech. John, Sr. raised his glass to toast to the woman making her first presidential speech on the television. Mary smiled and toasted with him. The other two couples raised their glasses and toasted with him. John knew his parents and their friends were especially happy. A couple of months ago, this group of adults had all gone and received their COVID-19 shots and now felt safe sitting around the table, drinking champagne, celebrating the first female President, and being in the same room together without wearing masks. The day had come, they believed, when life would get back to normal, and a woman would be victorious in The White House. 

***

Rudy Watson, John’s schoolmate, watched the presidential speech from her parents’ smart TV in her living room. A young black female herself, she was delighted to see this woman of color — of two races — lead this country out of the darkness and into the light. She now knew that one day she could grow up to be President of the Unites States of America. She realized one day her dreams would be acknowledged, and she would go onto great things. All the racial pressures, all the biases she had endured, all the prejudice and bigotry were washed down the drain. The new president — a woman of color — would fix all that. In Rudy’s eyes, she would single-handedly solve her country’s problems and put the racial divide at rest. Rudy was glad for that. She was relieved. 

She dialed her schoolmate’s number. John answered his own cell phone right away when he saw Rudy flash across the screen. The two children discussed at length the new female president. 

***

While John and Rudy were discussing and gushing about the new president, people of color and understanding white folk were happily engaged in their own little honorable celebrations. The country was rejoicing on this day with a brand-new leader. The people had hope — hope for a new democracy, hope for change, hope for a chance for everybody to live in unity and peace. 

***

Four years later, this female president who had taken over for the elderly white man on that fateful day was voted into a second term. The people were happier, more full-filled, and feeling like they were part of a union.  

John and Rudy were 14 at this time, and their friendship had grown. Holding hands as they walked down the school halls with no masks on, they remembered together the summer of 2021 when the woman was given her chance to shine. They would be 18 and ready to vote on their own when the woman’s second term as President ended, and they knew that they would always, always vote for someone like her — a woman who they felt really cared for them and their country’s well-being.  

This is just a story of what is perceived to come. Many opinions will differ. Truth be told we do not know what is to come, but many are hoping for a happy ending to current events in this country and world today. Whatever you believe is your opinion, and you are definitely entitled to that. The author of this story does not really have a definite opinion about the Presidency, but has hope that this administration will do a good job and things will get back to normal. If this elderly white man and woman of color can change things for the better, so be it. Bring on the change! Let us unite as a nation and have faith in one another again. Let us stand tall and say, “I’m an American and proud.” Let the day come when every single American can hold their head up high and be proud of who they are and their country. Let the darkness become the light. Let the nation become one unified, glorified, satisfied community. If she’s the one to do this, let it be. 

Que sera, sera. What will be, will be.

February 06, 2021 05:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Palak Shah
00:00 Feb 19, 2021

I loved the title and this ties this story all together. The political aspect of this story brought it to life and I think you have given me a new hope for the future and made me see it from a different perspective. I love the way that this story has been crafted and you have done a great job. Well done !!! I hope you will check out some of my stories. Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

"The country was rejoicing on this day with a brand-new leader. The people had hope — hope for a new democracy, hope for change, hope for a chance for everybody to live in unity and peace. " Wow Kate this is a beautiful and hopeful story. It's hard to write with anything to do with politics because everyone has such different opinions on it, but I think you nailed it with this story. With everything happening in the world right now, it's so refreshing to read of hope in the future. I loved this, amazing job, you should be proud! ~Alainna

Reply

Kate Heesemann
18:45 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
16:29 Feb 07, 2021

Yea, instant love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Birgit Heesemann
09:38 Feb 06, 2021

Wow, Kate, congratulations, this is one insightful story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.