The Wedding Surprise

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

12 comments

Fiction Romance Contemporary

Alisha stood looking back at the mirror, her hands on her hips while the bride's mother tried not to stick pins in her. The long pale blue bridesmaid dress was not designed for her, but last night’s phone call changed that. She boarded the flight to witness the marriage of her lifelong school friend and then came the phone call in the taxi. One of the bridesmaids had fallen ill and couldn’t make the wedding. Luckily for the bride, I was slightly thinner than the maid the dress was designed for. She stood still watching the gown slowly being drawn in one pin at a time. I haven’t been a bridesmaid before. “What should I be doing at this wedding?”


“Support the bride and help out as needed,” the mother's voice muffled by a mouth full of pins. “Lucky for you most of it is done.  Best talk to the other three other bridesmaids.”


A couple more pins, “Done, you can take it off now.” The mother unzipped the back of the dress and left the room.


She is leaving me to get out of this pin minefield myself. Sucking in her stomach she eased the shoulder straps down her arms. Each move was slow and planned as she stepped out of the dress. Made it. She took a deep breath. Slipping back into her casual clothes was a lot easier. “Done.”


The mother returned picking up the dress, “You better freshen up from your flight. The rehearsal dinner is in two hours.”


***


The taxi arrived at the hall; Alisha straightened her skirt; her heart was pounding. I have to talk to the bridesmaids before the dinner starts. She scurried up the footpath pausing to let the caterers carry in a crate of desserts. Oh, chocolate cheesecake. Stop thinking of your stomach, dinner is coming. Where are the bridesmaids?


Hurrying up the stairs, her heel caught the lip in the doorway. She threw out her hands as her face rapidly approached the floor. A dull thud resonated in the timber floorboards. Crap. Very elegant Alisha. Her eyes darted around the room to see if anyone saw her entrance. A set of black polished shoes stepped in from the side. Panning upwards over his black slacks and jacket, a groomsman held out his hand. “Need help getting up?”


Back on her feet; her eyes briefly connected with his as she pulled her hand away. “Thank you.” She dusted off her dress as she stepped back. He held out his hand once more.


“Hi, I’m Michael.”


“Alisha.” She paused. Don’t let his looks be a distraction, find the bridesmaids. With a quick handshake and nod, she glanced over her shoulder. Found them.


The bridal party were all in a huddle at the head table. Pale blue flowers blended with white roses sat on every table. White candles wrapped in blue ribbon stood above the glitter and numerous layers of cutlery.


“Ally.” Sandra, the bride cheered with open arms.


“What’s happening?” 


“Just waiting for everyone. I see you have already met Michael.”


Her eyes scanned the room, pausing at Michael standing at the door welcoming the guests. “You saw that?”


“It was quite an entrance. Hope you don’t plan on doing that tomorrow.”


I bloody hope I don’t do it either. “I didn’t plan it today.”


“You will be sitting with Michael at the end of the table.”


“With him?”


“You are both here alone.”


One of the bridesmaids leaned towards Alisha and whispered, “Don’t get any ideas. He is engaged.”


Ideas? I only just met him and that was from the floor. Why isn’t his fiancé here?


***


The music started as the last guest sat down. Alisha’s feet nervously tapped under the table as she panned the room. I don’t know anyone here but Sandra. Everyone is staring at us, bring out the food and distract them.


“Smile,” Michael blocked her view as he filled her wine glass. He moved along the bridal table filling each glass. His pleasant manner and warm smile eased her nerves briefly. It didn’t take long for her to empty her glass. Michael returned to the table with a new bottle of wine. He reached for the ice bucket when he looked at her empty glass, “Do you need a refill?”


“I can do it.”


“Let me.” The glass was full before she could reach across the table.


Alisha quietly ate her roast chicken. Sitting near a gentleman like Michael and knowing he was engaged left her not knowing what to say. The three-course dinner ran smoothly. A mix of speeches, alcohol and fine dining. Some of the guests could handle the partying better than others. They are going to have a headache at the wedding tomorrow.


Michael turned in his chair, “Alisha, what do you do for a job?”


“Sales assistant for a fashion warehouse.”


His eyes ran up her body, “That explains why you look so good.”


What? Is he hitting on me? My entrance earlier didn’t put him off. Keep it together, nod and smile.


“What do you do?”


“I’m an accountant at my brother's office,” he leaned closer, “Where are you from?”


Well, isn’t he chatty? “Brisbane.”


“Cool, I’m just down the road at the Gold Coast.”


“If the family is from Brisbane, why have the wedding in Sydney?”


“The honeymoon cruise leaves from here in two days,” he topped up his glass, “And it’s something different.”


The MC called the bride and groom to the dance floor. Alisha shuffled in her seat as she sculled the last of her wine. Oh crap, dancing.


“Can you dance?” Michael asked.


“Not really. This is my first wedding.”


“This is my second brother's wedding. Just follow me,” he stood up, holding out his hand.


Face to face on the dance floor, she held his hand. He slid his palm to the middle of her back drawing her body against his. She placed her hand on his shoulder as they swayed to the music. Trying to dance was one thing, avoiding everyone else on the dance floor was another problem.


His warm cheek against hers, “Relax, enjoy yourself,” his smooth voice increased her pulse. Relax. She rested her head on his shoulder, closed her eyes and took a long slow breath.


The bridal waltz was replaced with upbeat rock music. Michael grabbed Alisha’s hand, spinning her around and back into his arms. The wine deadened her fears as she started to enjoy the evening. One tune faded as the next one started, she leaned towards him, “I need a break.” 


Back at the table, the glass of cold water was refreshing. Her eyes followed him across the dance floor as he spun the bride's mother around. So much energy. How old is he? He must work out, his biceps certainly felt like it. 


“He is taken,” the same bridesmaid from before passed behind her.


Who is she? The fiancé’s security patrol. Keep the women off my man. Glancing back at the bridesmaid, Alisha went back to observing the crowd.


She looked at her phone, ten o’clock. I’m going to need some coffee if I have to stay awake much longer.  But before she could get up the MC declared the night was over and thanked everyone for attending. This night ended earlier than I expected. I suppose the wedding is tomorrow morning. Don’t want the bridal party hungover.


Everyone was cleaning up when Michael approached Alisa, “How was your night?”


“Good, but I missed out on my coffee.”


He glanced around the room as he stocked the plates, “We can grab a coffee after this if you want.”


He is certainly friendly. What if his fiancé found out? “I don’t know if that is a good idea.”


“It’s just coffee, I don’t bite.”


“OK, just coffee.”


“Meet you at the café in the next block in half an hour,” he returned a quick smile as he carried the plates away.


***


The back streets were quiet, the occasional couple would come and go. Alisha sat at a corner table her eyes running over the menu. Sydney was warm for a spring night. A tall figure came off the street, in the light Michael looked casual in denim shorts and an evening shirt. His face was as cheery as he was on the dance floor.


“Have you ordered?” He asked picking up the menu.


“No, I was waiting for you. You have changed.”


“I wasn’t wearing a suit out here. You didn’t change, still looking good.”


Slow down there, mate. It’s just coffee. “I got rid of my heels.”


Settling back after placing their order, Michael asked, “So what part of Brisbane are you from?”


Taking a deep breath, “Why didn’t your fiancé come with you?”


He straightened his back, “Oh, that. I don’t have one, I’m single.”


“But—”


“Tracey told you I was engaged?”


“Yeah.”


“She has been hitting on me continuously ever since I got off the plane last week.” He leaned over the table with a smile, “I told her I was engaged to get her off my back.”


That explains the snarls. “Well, I got snapped at for looking at you.”


“Look all you like.” His smile was beaming.


“I was worried you were getting too friendly for someone who was taken.” Her eyes connected with his warm brown eyes, “We probably should keep your secret tomorrow. Don’t want any catfights at the reception.”


“Don’t worry about her. I had fun tonight.” He reached out putting his hand on hers, “If tomorrow is as enjoyable as today, I will be happy.”


“I hope I don’t face-plant the floor like I did today.’’


“I’ll be beside you to catch you.”


Her chest tightened at the thought of falling into his arms. The waiter placing their order on the table drew her attention. Taking a sip, the smell of fresh coffee was invigorating.


“Do you have a dress for tomorrow?” He asked pouring another packet of sugar into his cup.


“Sandra’s mother is altering it tonight. How are we getting to the church tomorrow.”


“Your limo is picking you up at eight.”


“You know a lot about this,” she spread the jam on her scone.


“I have been helping my bother with the planning all week.”


***


Sculling her second cup of coffee of the morning; Alisha checked her makeup, replacing the lipstick she left on the cup. A pale blue ribbon was woven through her long blonde hair and tied at the back with a bow. Any loose strands of hair were firmly stuck in place with hairspray. Standing in front of the mirror as the makeup artist did a final check. A knot grew in her chest. Calm down, I’m just a bridesmaid. How am I going to cope if I’m ever the bride?


“The cars are here,” someone yelled from the living room.


Grabbing her flowers as she walked out the door. The limo was luxurious, with a white leather interior and flowers. A bridesmaid handed out glasses of champagne. Should I be drinking before the event? She paused before taking the glass. 


“It will settle your nerves.”


The church came into view and then disappeared behind them as they went around the block. The congregation mustn’t be ready. Swallowing the last of her wine, she checked her flowers. I can do this. Following the bride down the aisle and the ceremony didn’t require a lot of work. The bossier bridesmaids made sure they jumped in first. Michael looked dashing in his suit and blue tie standing with the other groomsmen. His short brown hair was perfectly in place and his square jaw was shaven, making him look younger.


***


The ceremony is over. The bride and groom headed down the aisle followed by the party. Michael stepped forward holding out his arm. Alisha’s eyes met his as she stepped alongside taking hold of his arm. They stepped in unison out onto the lawn. But there was no time for a break as the wedding party gathered for photos in the church gardens. A wide array of photos, bridal party, grooms party, everyone together and one a bridesmaid paired with a groomsman. 


Alisha stood quietly looking back at the camera, holding her flowers in hand. Michael was beside her with his arm behind her back. 


“Get closer,” the photographer said, “And smile.” 


Michael slid his hand around her waist drawing her nearer as she placed her arm behind him. Being this close to him she was drawn to his cologne, it was subtle and alluring.


“Last one,” the photographer called out.


Looking back at the camera she smiled, the camera flashed as Michael’s warm lips touched her cheek. Her heart skipped a beat. Did he just kiss me? Crap. Her eyes glanced back at the bridal party. There were a couple of wide eyes. Tracey was looking the other way. She will be surprised when the photos come out.


“Next couple.”


Alisha turned around and headed off behind the group. Michael followed close behind. Sitting quietly in the shadows she watched the rest of the photos. He returned handing her a bottle of cold water.


The photos were over, and the dinner started in one hour. Michael opened the limo door for her. There were only two of them for the trip to the hotel. Buckled up beside her, he handed her a glass of champagne. 


“What was with the last picture?” she asked.


“I was communicating.” He replied with a warm smile.


“Communicating?”


“It’s a wedding, we are supposed to share their love,” Michael took a sip of wine, his eyes staring back over the glass.


“I wasn’t getting much love from Tracey.”


He moved closer, “Ignore her. We are going to have fun tonight.”


***


Dinner was over, and the speeches were done.  Alisha spent the night focusing on the guests or listening to Michael, trying everything to ignore Tracey’s daggers. It was that time of night when the bride and groom were called to the dance floor.


Michael rose holding out his hand. Arm-in-arm dancing was not as stressful this time around. As the evening went on, he leaned over her shoulder, his breath tickling her ear, “Want to catch up for dinner when we get home?”


A date. “That would be nice.”


His gaze was strong as he spun her around before pulling her body close to his. Slowly shuffling to a love ballad, everyone around her disappeared from view as he moved in closer. She closed her eyes as his soft lips met hers.


The End

August 19, 2024 09:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Jenny Cook
00:18 Aug 31, 2024

I enjoyed this romantic story.

Reply

00:52 Sep 01, 2024

Thank you Jenny, glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Russo
14:28 Aug 26, 2024

This was very sweet! I enjoyed your style, allowing us peeks into the main character's thoughts as the wedding preparations and events happen around her. Well-done!

Reply

00:09 Aug 27, 2024

Thank you for your kind feedback. I'm glad you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:58 Aug 24, 2024

Sweet story Christine :)

Reply

07:32 Aug 25, 2024

Thank you Derrick :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
00:10 Aug 22, 2024

Girl meets boy at wedding. Well done In the early paragraph you switched back and forth between I And she. Plenty of time to edit. Or I might have read it wrong.

Reply

14:51 Aug 22, 2024

Thank you for your feedback :) I write in the third person limited and internal dialogue in the first person (italics.)

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:16 Aug 22, 2024

I got it. That didn't come through on my phone. Makes perfect sense when I see it now.

Reply

06:20 Aug 23, 2024

No problem. I haven't used the mobile phone app as our mobile signal is rubbish where I live. Cheers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:45 Aug 19, 2024

And the romantic in me swooned with this. Lovely work !

Reply

23:45 Aug 19, 2024

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.