2 comments

Romance Drama

 Peggy met Peter at the New Years eve party at OMally's Pub and Grill, and they fell in love instantly. If ever there were a case of love at first, this was it. They both had turned twenty one just weeks apart. They dated voraciously. Peter was Yin to Peggy’s Yang. At any given weekend they could be seen hanging out together, either at OMally’s or some other venue. They planned a Halloween wedding, costumes optional but looked forward too. Everything was on track for a wonderful Summer. Then it happened, Covid nineteen. Their Summer of love was put on hold. And for how long? No body knew.

Peter worked for an add agency where Peggy was a clerk at a clothing store. Pete could work from home but it soon became tedious without his co-workers to hang with at the water cooler. Peggy was put on temporary lay off. Ha. Temporary. Four months is a little more than temporary in her book. The two of them texted, talked and did Skype nearly every day. Some days Pete would mask up and drive by Peggy’s house, park on the street and she would come out to the front yard and they would talk and get some real face time. She didn’t dare go to his car because her neighbors had turned into the “mask police”, and yet they will jump in their cars and go off without wearing a mask.

Peggy and Peter were on Skype one afternoon talking about all the conflicting information being put out there by the different news agencies.

“Son of a …. OCD just reported that stores can reopen if they follow social distancing and stick to twenty five percent capacity. But DCT just reported that the Governor said that no businesses can reopen until the number of new cases drops another ten percent. Who the hell do you listen too?” Peggy asked rhetorically.

“I listen to the Governor for what it’s worth. He’s the one who the cops seem to listen to. The whole thing is B. S. anyway. Let the people survive. There are a lot of businesses that may not recover over this,” Peter said.

“Yep. I did some checking with the CDC’s own statistics. More people die from the flue every year per capita than this Covid nineteen shit. I’m getting sick of it too,” Peggy stated.

“Same here baby. I just hope that we can still have our wedding as planed,” Peter stated.

“Since it’s on Halloween everybody can go out and buy latex catsuits and respirators. That will keep everyone safe,” Peggy said with a laugh.

“Oh God!! I just got the visual of my old man in a skin tight rubber suit. Can a guy wash his eyes out with soap?” Peter asked as the two of them laughed hysterically.

“Yeah. Mine was my uncle Ted. Guess I should have put more thought into that one before throwing it out there,” Peggy offered still laughing.

“Well. At least we got a good laugh out of it. It felt good to laugh for a change,” Peter said.

“Yeah it did. Well. I suppose I better let you get back to work before your boss fires you. Same time tomorrow?” Peggy asked.

“Yeah babe. See you tomorrow. I love you Peg,” Peter said.

“I love you too Pete. See you later. Bye,” Peggy said.

“Yep. Bye now,” Peter said as they disconnected.

The days turned into weeks. Pretty soon April was over, then May and June. Now it was mid July and the heat was unbearable. And not being able to go anywhere, well, that was starting to wear thin as well.

“Did you hear the latest?” Peggy asked one day while video chatting with Pete.

“About schools? I heard some thing,” Pete asked.

“Yeah, and about some restaurants too. It sounds like they might allow schools to open and some restaurants if they can maintain their social distancing,” Peggy stated.

“I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then, I won’t be holding my breath,” Pete stated.

“I know right? One week they’re saying bars can open so they get ready and follow the guidelines, only to have the rug pulled out from under them. People are about to say “enough”. And when that happens, look out,” Peggy offered.

“Hopefully that won’t happen. But I hear ya when it comes to all the flip flopping. I’m just wondering who’s not making the decisions,” Pete stated.

“To many cooks! One “respected” doctor says one thing and they start to go along with it. Then another “respected” doctor comes along and debunks what the first one said. Now we’re back to square one. I say pick one doctor to listen to and be done with it. If it doesn’t work out. Then he’s to blame. If they know that they are going to be held accountable, then they will all start singing off the same page,” Peggy stated.

“Wow Peg. Are you running for governor?” Pete quipped.

“Yeah right! You just gotta use common sense,” she said.

“Well good luck finding any of that. It seems as soon as someone asks these so called “experts” for their advice, that’s the first thing that goes,” Pete offered.

“Well… I’m going to grab a shower. Chat with ya later,” Peg said.

“Cool… Bring the laptop in with you so I can watch,” Pete suggested.

“That aint gonna happen. Love you Pete. Talk soon,” Peg said.

“Bummer. It was worth a shot though. Okay then. Talk at ya later. I love you Peg. Bye,” Pete said and then they disconnected.

Some time close to the end of July, Pete sent a text to Peggy telling her that he would be at the grocery store at ten o-clock Saturday morning August first. Peggy replied that she was also going to the same store at that exact same time as well. They met up in the parking lot and spent the next hour shopping for groceries together.

The End?

August 05, 2020 17:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Bianka Nova
21:37 Aug 13, 2020

You have a nice idea there, with the backstory of them having met on New Year's and then being forced to live separated during the quarantine; but then the story is cut short kind of in the middle, without a real ending - you might try to explore that some more. A couple of things: - case of love at first – you are missing “sight” at the end - AD agency and not an ADD agency Grammar and spell check the text, then work a bit on the ending; and you should have a really good story :)

Reply

Lonnie Larson
23:13 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you Bianka. Ad and Add are correct spellings of two separate words. Spell check does not know context. Will do better at proof reading. The story was intended to be a criticism on the "Social Distancing" norms. Two lovers trying to work around being apart. They just so "happen" to be at the same place at the same time and they act as if they are together so that they could be together. I may continue the story, but for now, it was written for this forum. Many thanks on your critique. That is how we learn and grow...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.