5 comments

General

On Sunday, the weary man who had difficulty in selling his vast basket of cherry apples, tangerine oranges, and cyan blueberries, was surprised to see a single buyer purchasing all of the fruits, and paid extra.


The woman who could not propel her homemade ice cream cart because a creaking wheel snuck onto a broken pavement became shocked the moment a teenager helped her push the pivot out.


The gardener, who wanted to spend time with his newborn child but was stuck on watering duty, turned wide-eyed as the high schooler who surely still had homework to do, promised to look out the plants for him.


Even the begging juvenile's mouth was agape after her plumped sardines can morphed into a cavern of brimming translucent silver pennies.


Then there was his old neighbor, who was left alone by her family at an expensive apartment. She wept at the sight of the payment, but rejoiced after knowing half of it has been reduced due to the generosity of an anonymous donor. This donor also gifted her a basket of local berries and apples.


His name is Jayvyn, the first pure human superhero on the planet.










On Monday, the vendor exhibited more vigor and more baskets. This time, he sold purple mulberries, lush pineapples, and even the rare dragonfruit. Yet again, all were bought by a single young customer for a higher price.


The home-based businesswoman meanwhile, started fixing the road-torn wheels, and smiled at the sight of the adolescent helping her tinker with the intricate mechanisms.


The gardener had not only potted plants to sprinkle with aqua, but also a bonsai and hanging ferns. The happy-go-lucky teen splashed them with so much balance, focus, and tenacity, the gardener's boss praised him.


The beggar received more donations, and she finally bought herself a tidy uniform. Now, she only needs enough wages to enroll herself in a proper school.


The neighbor kept receiving the deluxe fruits.











On Tuesday, Jayvyn's helpfulness and affection towards others' lives caught attention from another teen superhero, one named Ciana. Like all other heroes on Earth, she had alien bloodline. She kept stalking him, until the blushing boy asked her to come over his house sometime.











On Wednesday, Ciana did visit Jayvyn's Chateau-like mansion. The sofas were liquified with so much aromatic Mandarin oranges, dripping ripened mangoes, and perfectly curved bananas. The wall was a collage of maps of the city adorned with red circles on areas needing critical help. Then, there was a notebook on the dining table, one that listed all the names of, quote, "civilians requiring assistance".


When Jayvyn came out of his room, Ciana found it difficult not to ask.


"I'm sort of a sentient being," he said, "blessed with density manipulation, extreme durability, even precognition. Unique and mighty, right?" He straightened his gray hoodie, which covered his cerulean shirt. "But to access these abilities, I need emphatic mana."


Seeing the girl's bewildered face, he continued, "to get more power, I need other's positive emotions. I need to make them happy."


"And in return, you get fantastic world-saving talents," she grilled him with mind-bending questions, "so do you help others or do you help your powers?"











On Thursday, Jayvyn and Ciana joined the International Hero Defense in blocking the mischievous intergalactical threat Tirich from unleashing a blood comet towards the planet of a ten billion population. But while their combined efforts eradicated Tirich and his battalion permanently, the heavenly (actually, it's more of hellish) body already surged forward into the white-turned-crimson atmosphere.


Jayvyn, empowered by the kindness he has shown throughout the month, went head-on against the comet.


"Let's do this," he holds his hand in the destructive force's rough surface, which was composed of unknown yet constantly chaotic elements. "Density manipulation!"


The comet's solid structure breaks, turning it into a melted ball of gaseous rocks. "Super strength time," he shouted while mustering cataclysmic energy unto his fist. Then, with a single swerve, the threat breaks into nothing but a piece of crumpled debris.


But his hand. His poor swelling hand. The magenta seemed to possess his whole body. He started falling slowly, then faster, and faster! Ciana flew towards him, trying to catch his weakened figure.


"No, Ciana, I'm fine," he counter reacted, "precognition will say so." He focused deep and tried to gaze into a minute of the future. There was nothing. Nothing to visualize.


A feet from the ground, Ciana caught him with a whirlwind.











On Friday, the dreaded results came. The comet's elemental core absorbed every residue of inorganic prowess. His powers, now all gone. Everyone tried to comfort their savior, even Ciana who didn't really like socializing, to no avail.


The vendor had nothing in his pocket but rotten flies. The woman and his cart kept tripping on the wet pavements as the downpour raged. The gardener did not get a glimpse of his baby's first words, which were Where's Papa in a gibberish tone. The beggar sulked, realizing classes were about to start soon. And the neighbor? She felt down hearted, being lonely again, today and perhaps forever.


Everyone in the city were in solemn desolation, and so was Jayvyn. His knees fell to the floor, then bitter liquid came from his emerald eyes. The sorrow became anger. He tore the maps, smashed the fruits, stomped the notebook.


"What have I done wrong to get this curse?!"











On Saturday, he was surprised and a bit perplexed to see a parcel outside of his oak door. The carton box had multicolored hearts drawn on it. A note was pasted unto the northeast corner, and written on it was, "This time, it's your turn to be helped!"


He opened the box and cried. Tears of joyful sunshine and relief, not inconsolable sorrow.


It was stashed with the sweetest peach, strawberry popsicles, a cute little potted plant, a cheap unstitched toy, a photograph of him and his old acquaintance, even a rose that grew only on windy valleys.


His face beamed once more. "Emotions."











On Sunday, he ran faster than ever towards the city proper. But he realized he didn't have to. Hundreds flocked towards the vendor, buying his produce whether they needed it or not. The woman had many helping hands, some even mechanics. The gardener's boss allowed him to take a leave to care for his wife and child.


He did not see the child on her usual spot. But when he gazed towards the elementary school, he saw her waving her chubby hands towards his direction. He waved back childishly.


He helped and it impacted something bigger. Now everyone helps. He breathed a sigh of reassurance and paced towards his abode. There, he saw Ciana chatting with his now-smirking neighbor.


"I may not have the powers of a hero, but I have the heart of a human."

June 27, 2020 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Grace M'mbone
18:38 Jul 04, 2020

The last line caught my attention. Aside from a few grammatical mistakes, Carlos I liked your story. Great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
ℤ ℍ☮️
01:46 Jul 02, 2020

You asked me to give you feedback, so here I am! Very unique story! I love the way you wrote it!!! I love how you gave very little information about the characters and then you built on slowly. There are a lot of grammatical mistakes that can be fixed in a few minutes. The last line is very good but I think that it sounds a little clunky for a person to say; when you listen to people talk they don't necessarily sound like that! All you need to do is listen to people talk and everyday conversations. Besides that, great work!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:33 Jul 07, 2020

Hey Carlos! Your story is a whirlwind and moves very quickly. The minimalist style of information definitely leaves a lot to the imagination. While you address very large concepts quickly, it was surprisingly easy to understand the premise and the plot. You have an interesting style that could surely become your signature, although I would recommend choosing a more organic narrative and more-fleshed out characters.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nandan Prasad
15:12 Jul 06, 2020

Very well-written and heartwarming story! The way the whole thing ties up in the end is really cute and enjoyable. Very well-done! Also, would you mind checking out my story if it's not too much trouble? Thanks and good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
B.T Beauregard
22:01 Jul 08, 2020

Inspirational story!! I really enjoyed the concept, and it touched on really important ideas without seeming over complicated. My only critique is that things moved really quickly at times, slowing down the pace could help the story flow a little better. Overall, fantastic job!! Ps: If you could take a look at my newest story and leave some feedback, I would really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.