27 comments

Drama Fiction Inspirational

How to add spices to scrambled eggs

(The story is based on real events, but some facts have been invented for dramatic effect)

He walked into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes. After looking at the mirrored surface of the turquoise fridge, he tried to turn the porcupine on his head into a usual mop-top, but quickly gave up. His stomach was grumbling, demanding eggs with bacon and vegetables after last night's whisky, and as fat as possible. But his mind was elsewhere: he was trying not to forget the melody he had written in his sleep. 

This twenty-something guy was not the first person to create a masterpiece in a dream. And it wasn't the first time he had dreamt of music either. But it was the first time he could hum it so clearly when he woke up. What's more, it wasn't one of his standard songs, those ‘pops for teenagers’, as his friends who had a musical education teased. It was a real music, one of those that were used as jingles for BBC programmes. One that he would not be ashamed to show to the boys from the Manchester City Orchestra. He sometimes performed with them on the same stage; the masters of the classics, they looked down on him during smoke breaks. ‘Da-da-da, da-da-da’, he kept repeating in his head.

However, that would be for naught if he didn't eat and was hungover. The guy took a huge gulp of water, making his thin neck look like an elephant's trunk at a watering hole. He opened the fridge which looked more like fancy 1963 Cadillac DeVille. It was the girl's apartment, not his, so he wasn't entirely sure what he would find inside. To his delight, there were still a few pieces of ham in paper wrapping there, even cut into half-finger slices, perfect for scrambled eggs. There was also one oblong tomato and choice of peppers. Chubby bell peppers, one dark green and two red. A long greenish-yellow jalapeno. A small bright yellow habanero. And a few more peppers of different shapes and colours, for which he didn't even know the name. Oh, that Jane and her love of extreme sensations and spicy food! The spice box on the wooden countertop next to the fridge also contained a pile of peppers, but dried, in jars and paper bags. There was also hot orange turmeric, pale yellow ginger, sharp star anise, and many more colours and names on the labels.

The problem was that he couldn't find any eggs in the fridge or anywhere else in the kitchen. He kept humming the tune he had to remember, he drank a glass of water three more times, he turned over all the straight, square and round boxes and containers in the fridge, in three bedside tables, in twelve drawers, looked under the floral towel on the table and even looked in the oven. In the kitchen, in addition to peppers and other spices, there were ham, remnants of whiskey, vodka, gin, cherry liqueur and some homemade mumbo jumbo. There were no eggs. 

‘Scram-ble-d eggs, da-da da’, – somehow, unbeknownst to him, he began to hum the lyrics. It seems that his head had made peace with his body, and the search for food and the mission to preserve the melody merged into one task. He quickly brushed his teeth, drank another glass of water, put on his coat and ran outside. On the porch, the January wind blew him back into the house to get the cap he had forgotten. But eventually he made it to the grocery store, picked up a dozen eggs and a can of beer, poured a pile of coins to the unfriendly lady behind the counter, and ran back in, not even noticing how she was frowning at his alcoholic fume.  

‘Scrambled eggs... How I love your perfect legs...’ he hummed as heavy cast-iron frying pan sizzled, heating the oil, then evaporating the liquid from the tomato, lightly burning the colourful pepper skins, and finally turning the transparent substance around the yolks into snowy white islands under three hot suns. When this illustration of Clarke or Bradbury stories appeared on his plate, and then on the table, he didn't even think to pick up a knife. He chipped off piece by piece with his fork, quickly threw them into his mouth, chewed and chipped off again, as if he was playing a breakfast eating contest. Only a few times did he stop and take a sharp breath through his rounded lips - when he came across pieces of habanero, the hottest of the peppers. 

Finally, he wiped his lips with the same colourful towel, held his left palm on his stomach for a few seconds, as if to record the moment of satiety, and opened the beer. He took one sip, as long as a guitar solo, picked up the can, and returned to the bedroom, sipping the beer in small gulps. In the bedroom, he put the can on the top lid of the piano, opened the keys and started playing the night tune. He found a G, then an F-sharp minor, and then minor, minor, minor notes. ‘People like sad songs. And I often listen to sad songs myself,’ he thought. And in the end, he just stopped thinking about anything, completely drowning in the melody. 

An hour later, the song sounded as perfect on the keyboard as it did in his head. But there were still two niggles. One was the lyrics. The melody couldn't be about ‘scrambled eggs and beautiful legs’. The second concern was the feeling that he didn't write the song. It just came to him in a dream. Who knows, maybe he accidentally heard someone else's melody, it hid in the depths of his subconscious, and then surfaced as if it had been written by him. 

For the next few months, he dealt with the second problem by asking all his friends, musicians, journalists and people who loved music: ‘Here I'm going to sing to you (or play if there was a piano nearby), tell me what song this is?’ He even arranged it for guitar to show it in companies where there was a guitar. No one had ever heard this song. As spring turned into summer, he accepted that this was his melody.

It was not so easy with the lyrics. With music, but no lyrics, it was as if he had a frying pan with pepper, tomato and seasonings frying beautifully, but no eggs. You can't serve your guests scrambled eggs like that. At the same time, the phrase about ‘eggs and legs’ stuck in his head and didn't let other words come to him. Trying to find a different lyric, he played his melody every time he saw a piano: in his girlfriend's bedroom, at his friends' parties, in pubs and restaurants. And, of course, on the set of the music film he was taking part in. Нe started to climb on stage to the piano and play ‘Scrambled eggs’ every time he had a minute free from his episodes. One day the director came up, red like a cayenne pepper, and shouted in one breath: ‘If you don't stop playing that damn song, I'm going to throw either you or the piano off the set!’

The shooting ended in early June, and in the middle of the month he and his girlfriend were in a cosy house in the south of Portugal. In a few days, he got so warm under the Albufeira sun, so full of seafood and rice and pastel de nata and English breakfasts, which were somehow better prepared here than in England, that he almost stopped being tormented by the song. Besides, there was no piano in the house, only a guitar. One day, watching Jane walk out onto the sunny path towards the ocean steaming in the rays, he imagined that she had left him, and the imaginary situation responded with a very real tugging at his heart. He picked up the guitar and began to sing about the breakup. The eggs dissolved somewhere in the salty air.

***

It was February 1965. This time the filming was in America. He stood in the middle of the stage, enjoying the applause. Meanwhile, John put his guitar against the wall and went backstage. Ringo laid his drumsticks down. George went to the microphone and said, ‘Paul is going to play our new song’.

He took a G, then a F sharp minor, and then the string quartet joined the guitar. It was as if saffron and turmeric had been added to a simple dish. ‘Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away,’ he sang, and at this point the people in the audience groaned with delight. 

October 03, 2024 17:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

James Scott
22:35 Oct 10, 2024

Engaging to the end, with the payoff of finally learning what the song was! I had the theme tune from ‘Frasier’ stuck in my head until then

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
10:39 Oct 11, 2024

Thank you very much! Your comment is encouraging!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:55 Oct 10, 2024

Hey, Vsevo, just so you know, Jonathan Foster's review is AI genrated.

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
17:48 Oct 10, 2024

Thanks for pointing this out. I was thinking of answering a little later, explaining some nuances, but now I don't even know if it makes sense. Anyway, every feedback gives something, because nobody is perfect, and we are all learning all our lives. Especially if you consider that I started writing in English very recently and I know for sure that there are still many nuances with the feeling of the language.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:55 Oct 10, 2024

Oh, I do know. English is my second language as well. So, more power to us, right? :-) But yeah, responding to its reviews means talking to a computer. It won't change the computer and just make you frustrated. Unless Mr. Foster is AI himself, you can leave a comment on his story. And or report him. It's true that all feedback has value, but I'd rather a human has read my story and comments personally. And yes, I'm hopelessly old-fashioned. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
04:33 Oct 10, 2024

Some really nice touches here: description and humour and the link between the music/lyrics and missing ingredient. My only slight (human!) criticisms would be (1) the elephant's neck line as the story is written from Paul's point of view so wouldn't be able to see his neck unless it was in the mirrored surface of the fridge in which case you could have him thinking it looked like this. Just a bit of rewording around it would do this as it is a good image. Also him checking the bedroom drawers jolted a bit as you had the character placed in ...

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
18:27 Oct 10, 2024

Thank you very much for your review! I'll think about the moment with the neck description. It seemed to me that there was an obvious third-person narration, (so called omniscient narrator). But maybe I'm not as adept at using this kind of narrator as I supposed). You've given me some good food for thought, thanks!

Reply

Carol Stewart
05:29 Oct 11, 2024

Ah, no, I see... I think as a reader I was more in Paul's head than watching from outside if you see what I mean, the way he would have thought of the food, knowing it wasn't his apartment, the tune repeating etc. No fault on your part, apologies :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cedar Barkwood
00:53 Oct 10, 2024

Hello! Maybe a little late, but welcome to Reedsy! This was such a clever story, the flash into the future was such a perfect end. Glad you’re safe in London, and thank you for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Sage
21:14 Oct 09, 2024

A charming story, really immersive description of cooking and humming tunes and then an ending that brings a smile!

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
18:27 Oct 10, 2024

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Rajmon
19:23 Oct 09, 2024

This story really made me smile and drew me in from the start. You have such a fascinating and witty writing style that turns even the most ordinary moments, like making scrambled eggs, into something much bigger. I love how you balance humour with the creative process and then tie it all together with that brilliant twist at the end. The way you capture musical inspiration amidst the chaos of everyday life is truly impressive. I’m excited to read more of your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Max Wightwick
19:00 Oct 09, 2024

Hi Vsevo, I see what you mean by the musical and tonal similarities between our stories. I enjoyed it a lot. What delighted me most, was seeing Clarke (whom I assume was alluding to Ashton Smith?) appear, as, if so, he deserves more recognition than he has in modern times.

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:43 Oct 09, 2024

Loved this! Something nagged me all the way through about the scrambled eggs thing and then you gave the answer at the end! I knew I'd heard that somewhere before ! A great piece of writing, really enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Hurst
09:07 Oct 09, 2024

Oh, this is so very good! Keep up with your writing. It has the perfect balance of literary efficiency and plot. With these two ingredients, you should go far!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Suzanne Jennifer
23:58 Oct 08, 2024

I have never been so moved emotionally by scrambled eggs. I love this story. I can relate to the MC feeling ‘imposter syndrome’ angst over the song that came in a dream. Nice work.

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
10:50 Oct 11, 2024

Thank you so much for your comment, it is inspiring! I guess as creatives in the times of mass media we often have to prove to ourselves that our works are unique. I have put off my dream of writing literature for so long that now I will choose not to be afraid. There were too many moments of this impostor syndrome in life(

Reply

Suzanne Jennifer
12:48 Oct 11, 2024

Absolutely. Keep on writing. You have the talent and your work is unique.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
21:31 Oct 08, 2024

I love to cook, and this was fun and educational! Well-done!

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
17:52 Oct 10, 2024

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexandra Noir
19:33 Oct 08, 2024

I absolutely love how you wove the mundane task of making scrambled eggs into such a vivid and layered story. The transition from a simple morning routine to a creative struggle and then to a legendary moment in music history is so well-executed. The details and imagery made me feel like I was right there, witnessing it all. Truly a beautiful blend of humor, nostalgia, and inspiration! Bravo!

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
17:53 Oct 10, 2024

Your review is very inspiring, thank you so much for your kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stasia Komadinko
19:29 Oct 08, 2024

When the guy thought he had dreamed up a song that already existed, I was reminded of the movie ‘Yesterday.’ It’s about a guy who finds himself in a world where The Beatles never existed. I was very close to figuring out the ending of the story)

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
17:52 Oct 10, 2024

Thanks for the feedback! I remember this movie, quite soulful, I love such dramedy. I love what you write, so it's all the nicer that you also paid attention to my story.

Reply

Stasia Komadinko
18:02 Oct 10, 2024

Як не звернути увагу на творчість співвітчизника;)

Reply

Vsevo Polishchuk
18:17 Oct 10, 2024

Як цікаво! Я спочатку так подумав, але не був певен, адже ім'я Стася також буває в жінок із Польщі та Словаччини... Дуже приємно!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
01:13 Oct 10, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.