0 comments

Fantasy Friendship Sad

Campfire Lit.

I sit down to rest, replenishing what I will need as I enter what will surely be the most menacing part of the castle.

The mage told me this part runs adjacent to the Chasm, which is filled with the soulless undead. I am told the halls are filled with soldiers, roaming as husks of their former selves as they walk aimlessly and kill mercilessly.

I stand up and prepare for my journey. I put on my heavy armor and pick up my double-bladed sword.

Carefully, I pass through a decrepit archway. On either side is a wall just tall enough to block my view. Once I enter, I see the chasm on my right. To my left, a tall wall runs, with windows and balconies. I say a quick prayer to the gods and soldier on.

Already, I am ambushed by the undead. They each wear heavy, but worn armor. Not much of a threat. But one has glowing eyes. I recognize the glow. These ones are the most dangerous.

The Corrupted. Like other undead, they will stop at nothing to kill; but these ones are possessed by a presence from the Land Below. A presence that takes hold of all that is hollow.

I hold my large sword up with both hands. The blades of the undead clash with both blades protruding from the handle my hands grip with all their might. As the metal hits, I thrust the weapon to knock them back.

I spin the blade around me, taking out any enemies nearby. They dissolve in a puff of smoke. I thrust my blade into a few more foot soldiers and watch them disappear. Suddenly, the sword of the Corrupted Undead hits me from behind, knocking me down. I roll over just in time to avoid his next blow. His sword is probably taller than I am.

I get up and dodge, narrowly avoiding his next attack, and thrash my sword in his direction, but I'm too far away to hit him.

His sword slashes across my chest before he comes back quickly for a thrust. I feel the cold metal run right through my chest and I know this is the end. He pulls the sword out and I fall to my knees. I try to move, but I can feel everything in my body shutting down. I fell backward. Before my vision goes black, I see my blood pooled on the floor. The last thing I see is the purple glow of my killer's eyes...


You awaken, renewed.


I find myself at the campfire by the archway. My gear is worn and the fragments of soul I collected from my kills are gone. As I rest again at the fire, I repair everything and recognize there is only one way to get those soul fragments back. I need to kill the Corrupted Undead, this time before he kills me. If I respawn without killing him first, I lose the fragments forever.

I head into the battlefield once again, prepared for the ambush. I make short work of the regular undead and prepare to face the Corrupted once again. This time, I know what to do. I dodge first, facing him from a distance. Quickly, I try to remember his weakness. The weakness of any Corrupted Undead.

Fire.

I pull out a fire bomb and throw it in his direction. It catches, causing the large knight to flinch and scream. In the chaos, I strike, fully aware of how quickly his health must be draining, but more importantly, how fast he'll recover. I dodge again, throw another bomb, and strike. I repeat this until he falls. The screams of the undead trapped within the Land Below escape his mouth, filling the area and bouncing off the walls. He falls with a loud thud.

I continue, taking out more undead. A few are able to do some damage, especially with long-reaching spears and crossbows. By the time I exit a narrow hallway and enter a large foyer, I am almost out of health potions.

The path to this area widens to a platform up some steps, ending with a large door. Still to my right is an outlook to the chasm. I hear the screams of the undead.

There are only a few soldiers in the large foyer and I dread to think what's behind the doorway. It was clearly made for someone much larger than myself.

Before I can think about what might lie ahead, I hear armor. Someone is running toward me. Someone much faster than any regular undead.

I narrowly avoid the sword of a knight. This one is clearly much better at fighting than any undead. I slash my sword toward them and they dodge, masterfully, I might add. As I strike again, they parry my sword with their shield, knocking it away before thrusting a sword deep in my chest. I quickly recover and dodge their next attack and drink a healing potion.

"I was saving those," I say, out of breath.

"You won't need them in a second," the knight says. She sounds determined and, most importantly, alive.

"Not if I get rid of you," I say back.

We run toward each other and before she can strike, I slam my sword in her direction, hitting the ground, but knocking her back with the force of the swing before lifting the sword and striking her upward.

"So you are a skilled fighter," she observes. "But, methinks, not skilled enough."

She slashes me with her sword, doing a little damage. As I strike, she dodges, but I follow, rolling in her direction. She recovers from the roll faster, taking the advantage and waving her sword at me, but I roll again, this time behind her, and stab her through the back. She falls and I take the opportunity for a heavy attack. This final blow does the trick and she finally falls.

"You will fall, like the others," she says as she fades.

"Maybe in another life," I retort.

I watch her body vanish. It's almost a shame. I enjoyed fighting someone like me.

With the battle done, I head to the large door and open it. Inside, I see a large lump of cloth in the middle of a giant room. The room itself was clearly built for a king, with different kinds of royal cloth tapestries hanging over the windows. Candles were lit along the walls, but the room was still dark. Around the cloth, though, was pure darkness. It was as if the light, no matter how strong, faded around the lump. In that moment, I had a terrifying realization.

"The eater of light," I said. "The Fallen King of Lothbrooke."

As if on cue, the king rose, standing so tall I couldn't see his face. All six of his arms came out from under the cloth, each holding a sword at least three times as long as I am tall. His eyes were glowing a sinister purple, marking his corruption. The king who was supposed to save us all. It was clear he was behind the corruption of the kingdom.

I run toward him, not yet sure what my plan was. Maybe I'd strike at his ankles, doing enough damage to bring him down. Before I could, though, he jumped out of the way, clearly more agile than he looked, and slashed all six swords in my direction. I couldn't even react. I was dead before I could even register what happened.


You awaken, renewed.


I sit at the camp fire, once again repairing and replenishing. How can I face such a large, corrupted beast? The king was practically bred for combat, and was at least twenty times my height. Maybe if I had help...

Again, I headed into the castle. The Corrupted Undead was gone, but many soldiers remained. I dodge, slash, and run through the area, making it once again to the large foyer.

"You again?" I hear a voice say.

It was the knight from before.

"You? I thought I killed you," I say.

"You wish. I can come back just as often as I please!" she says as she attacks.

"Need redemption, do you?"

We each thrash, thrust and roll, each dealing damage to the other. I have to admit, it's nice to find another soul relatively in tact.

"What will it take to be rid of you?" I ask.

"Die and never come back," she answers.

I don't take her advice, again striking her down.

"You'll see me again..."

I head once again into the room of the fallen king. I'm finally able to hit him, but it does almost nothing. He strikes, this time with only two swords, but it's more than enough.


You awaken, renewed.


I rest and replenish. I fight. I make it to the foyer, ready to face the knight.

"I tire of this game," I say to her, but not sure if I mean it.

"I never tire of the battle," she says as she attacks. I do, I want to say, but maybe not of her.

"What do you hope to accomplish? What are you trying to protect?"

"My kingdom," she says. "One day the king will rise again and save us all. It is written!"

I know exactly what prophecy she was referring to.

"The false prophet Tiddles speaks of resurrection," I say, emphasizing false. "Your king is truly fallen."

"He will be restored," she says, thrusting her sword at me, hitting my armor.

"What is your name?" I ask.

"I am Sun Hand Ada," she says, proud of the title. She comes from the Guild of the Sun, a powerful group.

"Very nice to meet you," I bow. "Now die!"

We fight some more before I strike her and she falls once again.

"The gods do not bless thee. You will return..."

I head into the battle with the king once again, this time lasting a whole thirty seconds.


You awaken, renewed.


I rest, replenish, and fight. This time, though, I use more health potions. I feel unprepared, nearly being struck down by simple undead soldiers. I am weak when I meet Ada.

"Now the tables shall turn!" she says.

I eye the way into the chasm below. There is no way I'll let her kill me, I have a reputation now.

"I do not think so," I laugh. "I might not survive this fight. But I will not give you the satisfaction!"

I run and jump into the chasm. As I fall, I hear Ada above.

"You fool," she laughs.


You awaken, renewed.


I rest. Replenish. Fight. I reach Ada.

"You would willingly take your own life to prevent me from gaining the satisfaction of victory?" she asks.

I smile in response. She shrugs and takes off her helmet. Her short brown hair falls to her shoulders. The features of her face are perfectly chiseled, her eyes sharp and her smile blinding.

"So be it."

She runs to the chasm's edge and jumps, screaming in delight as she falls. I shake my head and laugh.

"Who's the fool now?"

I eye the doorway to the king. I realize I need fire. But more so, I need someone with me to draw his attention.

Moreover, though, the thought of finishing the fight alone paints a lonely scene; that of a warrior walking a path with no one to share it with. A warrior, no matter how hollow, should share their path with one matching their desire for the fight. And once I leave this part of the castle, I might never see Ada again. I have stared into the abyss of companionship and found it warmer than I expected.

Looking into the chasm, I take the plunge.


You awaken, renewed.


"What will it take for you to fight by my side?" I ask Ada.

"Me? Fight by the side with the likes of you?" she laughs. "It is a silly thought. And I could never betray my king!"

"He is corrupted, and I fear he will further corrupt this land if he continues to live!" I tell her.

"Maybe we can be allies in another life," she retorts. "But right now, I will not fight against my king."

"We have already spent several lives fighting, and could spend infinitely more, nothing ever changing," I say. "Don't you want to see change? Cleanse the kingdom once and for all?"

She thinks for a moment. "Is that your only reason for asking for my sword?"

The question surprises me. I have grown fond of our battles. It has been wonderful to fight with one so fierce, and relieving to find one in possession of most of their marbles. I just didn't consider that she felt the same.

"I could use a companion like you... on the battlefield, I mean."

"Yes... I suppose our skills compliment each other," she says shyly. "In battle, of course."

"Of course."

We pause awkwardly.

"Will you fight by my side? Purge the corruption from this land, and help light the Flame of Life?" I ask.

"Under one condition," she says. "You must sacrifice ten thousand soul fragments to me."

"I do believe I have them," I say slowly. "Is this a trick to finally kill me? Do you only wish satisfaction?"

"I wish to survive this battle," she says. "If the corruption is as you say, those soul fragments could protect me from it."

"And me?"

"You shall me fine. I could sacrifice my life to save my kingdom. Risk being corrupted. But I suddenly wish to live. To see... what comes after."

I think on it for a second. What comes after. Maybe there is more to this undead life. Perhaps we could have a life after. Together. My heart swells at the thought and a feeling overcomes me. Not love, maybe. The warmth of companionship. I prepare the soul fragments before spreading out my arms.

"To another life."

"To another life," she says before thrusting her sword through my chest. It takes a couple tries, but I finally fall, hearing a giggle as I do.

"So this is what victory feels like," she laughs. My vision goes dark. I would smile if I could.


You awaken, renewed.


When I reach Ada, she doesn't attack. We walk to the doorway together.

"What becomes of us once this battle is finished?" she asks.

"Well," I say shyly. "I had hoped you might aid me in my journey. Share my glory, perhaps. Maybe..."

"That sounds wonderful."

"We must survive, first."

"Yes, of course," She says.

"You keep his attention, I will exploit his weakness."

"Fire?"

"Fire."

We walk in and the fallen king rises. Ada screams a battle cry as she runs to him, dodging his many strikes. She works to simply keep his attention and avoid the blades. I throw a fire bomb at the king and he screams in pain, turning his attention to me.

I run, hoping for Ada to get his attention back. I do not wait long before she strikes and he turns away from me. I throw another bomb and we repeat the process until the corrupted souls within the king scream in agony. Several leave the king's body to attack Ada and I, and we struggle to dodge them as the king continues attacking.

"This will not be the future of my kingdom!" she screams "I will not submit!"

Her sword glows with the light of the sun and the blade catches fire. A blessing from her guild. She nods to me and I recognize the plan. I would draw his attention, she would attack, using his weakness.

Still dodging the souls coming from the king, I attack him once and run to keep his back to Ada. She slashes at the king and he finally falls. His head lies next to Ada and she plunges her blade through his skull, dealing one final blow. As she does, corrupted souls fill the room, the force of them knocking me to the ground and blinding me for a moment.

When I get up, I watch the body of the king dissolve before me, the souls now gone from the room.

"He's dead," I say. "We have cleansed this land. We have claimed victory. Ada, we can link the Flame of Life!"

No answer.

Her head is still down and she grips the sword that once pierced the king's skull.

"Ada?"

She looks up and I gasp. Her eyes glow a sinister purple.

"Oh, Ada," I say stepping back. She screams when she sees me, but the screams are no longer hers. Whatever corruption was purged from the fallen king has now made its way into Ada. My souls weren't enough.

She rushes toward me and I dodge. She strikes me as soon as I recover from the roll and immediately thrusts her sword at me again. She is no longer holding back.

I keep moving, striking her where I can, but fully aware that once she falls now, she will never come back.

"We would have been so good together, you and I," I say, still dodging her attacks. Her glowing eyes face me and she lets out another scream. This time, it sounded more like her. A scream of agony. A pain worse than any death either of us have faced so far. I realize what needs to be done. No matter the cost.

"You finally tire of the battle," I say. "Now, you may rest. Victory is yours."

I attack, slashing at her several times, knocking her back and drawing splashes of blood that soak my armor.

"Maybe we'll meet again one day," my voice shakes.

I thrust my sword through her chest and she screams, her own voice breaking through. I catch her and caress her head. As the souls leave her body, she smiles up at me. Slowly, the life leaves her eyes. Her face is stuck in a permanent expression of satisfaction when she goes. And within seconds, her body dissolves in my arms and I am left only with her sword.

"Maybe in another life."

April 30, 2023 19:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.