5 comments

Drama Fiction Teens & Young Adult

I entered the dark hallway, my footsteps echoing throughout the room. The elderly lady sat at her desk at the end of the hallway, smiling maliciously as I approached. My head was lowered as I reached into my bag for the object. I stopped at the desk, and handed it to her. “You were five minutes late, young man.” she said, and I nodded sadly. She stood, and put her firm hand on my shoulder as she walked towards the door. “We’ve been over this many times Mr. Hill. The next time you are late, you’re done. For good!” “No!” I said. She laughed. “Goodbye Mr. Hill!” she shoved me outside, and slammed the door behind me. 


I woke up gasping for breath, and reached over for my phone on the dresser. 8:30 AM. If I didn’t leave soon, I was going to be late. I leapt out of bed, grabbed my backpack, and raced out of my room. The door to my parents room opened just as I ran by, and my mom stared drowsily at me. “Where are you going?” I stopped in my tracks, trying to think of an excuse. There was no way I was telling her it was late again. “I’m going to school Mom. I need to get there early for a biology project, and I’m already late!” “Ok…” she said suspiciously, “Good luck.” “Thanks.” I said as I started down the stairs. I was going to need it. I whipped my jacket off the hook, and grabbed a nutri-grain bar before I exited the house. The icy wind stung my face and arms, but that didn’t stop me for a second. I hopped on my bike and started pedaling down the street, pacing myself because I knew I had a ways to go. I pulled out of our neighborhood, and onto the busy road. 


Cars roared by in all directions as everyone hurried to work. It was rush hour for everybody, including me. I pedaled faster and faster, my eyes focused on the sidewalk ahead of me until suddenly I swerved to a stop. A railroad cut through the road ahead of me, and in the distance I could a train charging towards me. I checked my phone again. 8:45. I didn’t have time for this. I started pedalling again, building in speed, until I was on the tracks. But just before I got to safety, my tire got caught in one of the ridges, and I got flung forward onto the sidewalk. The train roared by and caught my bike, sending it spinning into the bushes nearby. I lay there for a moment, counting my lucky stars, but I had to get going! I leapt up, and retrieved my bike. The frame was scraped, and the handlebars were twisted the wrong way, but nothing was really broken. I got back on and kept going. 


That little stunt saved me a few minutes, and although it still might not be enough, I smiled with satisfaction. I was racing down the sidewalk, my confidence growing with my speed. Now nothing could get between me and my destination. POP! My bike spun out, and for the second time today, I bit the dust. I crawled over to where my bike’s sorry remains lay, and pulled a rusty nail out of the front wheel. I threw the nail into the woods angrily, and kicked my bike off of the sidewalk. I would have to pick it up when I got back, but I had bigger problems. It was 8:55, and I still had many miles to go. I stood on the sidewalk, thinking about cutting my losses and heading home when I noticed a nearby sign. Bus stop


I ran over and stood near the sign, hoping a bus would pick me up in the next few minutes. Luckily, one did. The huge vehicle stopped on the side of the road, and the door slid open. I leapt on the bus, but the driver stopped me before I went any further. “Hey kid, you have to pay the fee!” She pointed to a sign on the side of the bus. 5 dollars per entry. I uttered a pray under my breath, and reached into my backpack. My hand came out with a couple bucks. “4 dollars and some change ma’am.” She nodded and took the money, “That's good enough, get in.” I thanked her, and slid into the nearest unoccupied seat. I must have looked pretty banged up. I got comfortable for the ride.


Unfortunately we were hitting every red light in the area. “This is some bad luck.” the driver said, “I’m going to be late today.” Me too I thought as I watched the clock turn to 9:05. My foot tapped the floor restlessly. If we didn’t get some greens and fast, I wasn’t going to make it!


“Downtown stop!” the driver said as the bus slowed to a stop. It was 9:15 when I leapt out of the bus and bolted down the street. As I ran I started to recognize the area more and more. I must be getting close. My feet thundered against the pavement, my breathing becoming uncontrollable as I ran ever faster. Besides the piercing cold, I was feeling good. At this rate I would make it with minutes to spare. At 9:25 I had to wait at a red light, but in the distance I could see my destination. An ancient building with magnificent columns and arcs. The light turned green, and I kept going. I ran up to the building, leapt up the stairs, and threw open the doors. 


The elderly lady sat at her desk expectantly as I approached. “9:30 on the dot young man. Well? Do you have it” I nodded breathlessly and reached into my bag. I grabbed the item and handed it to her. She looked at it, then at me. “Well Mr. Hill, looks like you live to read another day.” She said as she set the book on her desk. “Congratulations, now you better hurry. Don't you have school in an hour?” Oh no! School! I turned and ran out of the library doors, getting prepared to do it all again. 


April 23, 2021 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Marie Bishop
16:49 May 01, 2021

Love this, was fun to read!! Nothing worse than a librarian scorned!

Reply

Ander Hillyer
17:43 May 01, 2021

Thank you so much for your comment, and I read your submission! It was so descriptive! Some day I hope to write like that! I'm a little confused with what happened at the end though. Could you explain it to me?

Reply

Marie Bishop
18:35 May 01, 2021

Well as with all writing the ending is up to interpretation, in saying that, the book gave Sarah immortality, but if you think how many people you love and live in one lifetime, and then you multiply that loss. Grief is the price we pay for love.

Reply

Ander Hillyer
19:40 May 01, 2021

Wow, thats pretty deep, and a really cool idea, using the prompt provided! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ryan LmColli
12:40 May 07, 2021

Great story Pls JOin This: https://www.guilded.gg/i/wEwWwYmE

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.