Zombie Invasion

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

Griffin looked at the sky and sighed contently. His school was over; along with the wonderful battle training other kids thought as treacherous. Why do people think it's treacherous? Beats me. Well, but then what will they do in an invasion? Just cower inside like a baby? Well, at least I know something. He thought. "GRIFFIN! Want to play fencing? I feel bored! Even horse back riding is fine! LET'S JUST DO SOMETHING!" Kawan, Griffin's elder brother roared.

Still have to beat Kawan. He thought. he is even stronger than me; He is able to punch a tree 10 times faster than me.

He looked at the sky and replied, "I am tired, Kawan! Play with Jamaica! She can fence with you!"

Jamaica, at his side, grinned. "Thanks, Griff! Kawan, get ready!"

And before Griffin could do anything, Jamaica swiftly ran to Kawan, with a sword in hand.

And there's Jamaica. 20 times faster than a leopard. Everybody believes in Jamaica and Kawan; and everybody tortures me.

When he suddenly lifted his head, his face in fury.

I musn't think like this. Boys who think like this is considered a disappointment to all of Pyres. I must think strong if I wa-

A piercing scream interrupted Griffin's thoughts. A man, with shaggy hair and a long long beard - the Pyres prophet Griffin realized - bounded over to Griffin. He went near to the battle arena Jamaica and Kawan were fencing in and he hollered,

"green as grass,

rebellor's night,

Tis the fight of rights.

Save thy family

save thy Earth

Save thyself from

wings of Earth,"

Saying this, the prophet bounded away, still shouting his weird prophecy.

I hate prophecies. He and his prophecies. He is indeed mad.

But Griffin couldn't help looking at the prophet bounding away.

He looked at the sky and recollected the prophet's prophecy.

green as grass, - grass enemies? weird.

rebellor's night, - rebellor's attaching? creepy.

Tis the fight of rights. - Rights? they attack the palace for rights?

Save thy family - evacuate family!

save thy Earth - Earth? climate change? no idea.

Save thyself from - save myself? ATTACK!

wings of Earth - easy. wings of earth. Just pour water.

But something about his theory didn't feel right. He could name this feeling......scared. Insecure. Unsafe. We-

Stop right there, Griffin. Whatever you say will come true.

So Griffin tried change his feeling to Brave. Secure. Safe. Strong.

Aaah. That's much better.

His brother and sister was just looking at him, puzzled. He gave a sheepish look at them. Kawan returned Griffin's smile while Jamaica just rolled her eyes and reached a hand towards her sword.

Everything went normal....wait no.

I will just keep on the lookout. I mean I'm not scared of a prophecy or something, but I'll just look out for 'green as grass' or 'the wings of Earth'.

Days passed normally. Not a thing happened. No prophecy. Days passes peacefully. At least it was peaceful, Griffin had thought.

But one night, he had a weird dream. Griffin was lying on the Earth, his face towards the sky. He got up and he was face to face with a boar who gave him a toothy grin. Then in the dream, the boar knocked him unconscious. And then when Griffin woke up, he felt the Earth shake. It was midnight now, and moon shone at him like a pearl wanting to be made as a necklace. or rather a gemstone shining brightly. Ok fine, a gemstone and a pearl. And then the Earth shaked. Griffin bounced up and down and he came face to face with a man who was completely green. The green man screamed at Griffin's face and then suddenly thousands - no millions! billions! trillions! - of those creepy green men were rising out of the Earth, staring at Griffin hungrily. "AAAAH!" He had screamed. Then the nightmare disappeared an Griffin realized he actually screamed in real life and he was panting heavily. Jamaica, their mother and father was gathered at the door, while Kawan was beside him, holding his hand with a worried expression.

"What did you see?" Kawan whispered. Then I told my entire family, who were listening with scared expressions, about the prophet's prophecy, and about my nightmare and my theories of the prophecy's meaning.

My father looked at me with a grave expression. "Zombie," he whispered eerily. Everybody in turn began to whisper the same thing.

"Zombies?"

"coming now?" one whispered to another.

"We are doomed!" somebody said.

"aah! we should have asked Witch Mary to cast a spell to protect ourselves from harm a 100 years back," somebody said.

"Zombies? What are those?" Griffin asked, puzzled. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, the prophet appeared, screaming, "ZOMBIES! OUR WEAKNESS! ALL VILLAGES IN PYRES HAVE WEAKNESSES! ZOMBIES...KILL US!" he screamed before weaving out of the crowd once again.

Griffin only knew they were green like men and he didn't understand what the prophet said, but all he understood was that zombies were dangerous.

A few hours passed. It was nighttime. All the soldiers were posted outside of Pyres to lookout for zombies. The moon shone brightly like in Griffin's dream. It was dark, and the moon was their only light source apart from the torches. The ground trembled a bit abruptly. It trembled a bit, making some soldiers fall down.

"zombies?" one soldier asked to another soldier. The other soldier nodded.

When, just like in my dream, a green man full of warts suddenly appeared out of the ground. He looked at us with his black beady eyes and shrieked. Then more green warty face full of green men arrived out of the ground. "CHARGE!" The general screamed. War broke out between the zombies and the Pyrians. The war lasted 1 week. But finally we drove out the zombies. That was the good news. But the bad news was that many of the Pyrians died in the war, including Sara belling, and others. Luckily, Kawan, Jamaica, Griffin, and their mother survived. Their father got wounded and was breathing shallowly. Mother was keeping some bandages on him while he tried to steady his breathing. All the other people weren't that lucky. The babies of the village and the elders and a few people were in the village, and were guarded heavily by soldiers.

But the important thing was that the zombies were gone - for now. Griffin started helping the wounded people. When they were all in the village, he looked at the moon and thought, We survived FOR NOW. Who nows what will happen next. Well....the important thing is I proved myself worthy...ohh this man is about to fall, better help him. Then Griffin ran towards the wounded man, helping him and all was well. And that's the story of Griffin and how he saves the village Pyres from a zombie invasion.

The End.

September 24, 2020 12:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.