2 comments

Horror Mystery Romance

She looked so beautiful under the moon's pale light, her skin glistening in a way James never thought possible.

She was silent as she reached back, a smile over her shoulder as their fingers touched.

The graves danced their way around her feet, leading them to their special spot just beyond the tombstones, their little place.

James was surprised he even made it out tonight, his mother becoming more difficult with each passing day, not that it was her fault.

"What are you thinking about baby?" Macy's voice cut through his mind like a knife to warm butter

"Just you Hun, you know that"

"Do I? Seems to be your only response bub"

"You're funny"

She looked at him, stared like she was trying to figure him out. He didn't see the kiss coming, not till she was almost on top of him, her soft lips passing electricity to his. James saw colours as they broke apart again.

"What was that for?" He asked, not minding it at all.

"Dunno, thought you might deserve it" she replied, a twinkle in her eyes that he could never ignore.

The graves below their hill must be sick of seeing this routine, it had been happening for so long now, a year of this weekly. Sneaking out to see each other. Their own little Romeo and Juliet story, if Romeo spent every night looking after his mother.

James had meant to get Macy flowers tonight, but it felt so wrong to bring them here. Disrespectful.

They were always so careful to respect this place, they didn't need any evil spirit mojo in their life, so clothes stayed on and graves remained undisturbed.

Sometimes people walked through the rows, even in the dead of the night, grief held no clock.

They have to be quiet, especially on those rare nights, the last thing a grieving person needed to see was two teens sucking face while they tried to reminisce with their loved ones gone.

"Did you bring anything" James asked, suddenly aware of how dry his throat felt.

"Just this" she answered, pulling a little flask from nowhere.

"It’s got wine in it, doesn't it?"

"Look, as soon as you start putting out more, you can get the good stuff". She giggled to herself as she said it, like she was the funniest person she knew. It was adorable.

James took a swig, the cheap wine flowing over his tongue, it tasted like her. Sweet.

They sat silent next to each other, passing the flask back and forth under the starry night.

No words were said, no words were needed. Just the two of them, here in this moment forever. Till they weren't

"I miss you" his voice croaked softly, barely above a whisper, barely enough for her to hear.

"I know"

James could see the pain in her eyes, nearly hidden by that twinkle, but still there.

It hurt him to see her like this, as much as he did miss her

"Remember that day, the one with the bridge?"

Of course, she would bring that day up.

They had only just started dating back then, fresh. The whole dinner and a show thing, just like every Hollywood Rom-com had taught him.

A much-needed walk was had afterwards and it just didn't stop, James could have walked next to her forever and never got bored, never wanted to leave.

They had kept walking till they found that bridge, there was nothing special about it, as ordinary as you would think.

But that didn't matter to them then, and certainly didn't matter now.

What matters is what happened under that bridge. She had looked as him much like she did tonight, thought James was too shy to realise it, so she made him realise it.

"Our first kiss". He said, coming back to now. "First of many"

"A lot of first happened after that night"

"Don't be bringing up all that now, the dead don't wanna be hearing that"

I can't help it; we haven't had any alone time in ages..."

"Soon Hun, soon" he said, not knowing how to help her. Back then it had been so much simpler, life had been simpler and less...waiting.

“Don’t”

“Don’t?

“Don’t say that anymore, James. I can’t take it. That’s all you ever say".

A chill fell down his arms, the yard reacting to the shift in the lovers.

"It’s just so hard" she said drawing back, just a fraction, but enough.

"I know"

"Did you know it's almost been a year since we started this, week after week, and it hurts every single god damn time. It never gets better; it never gets easier"

"Macy, just relax. Everything's going to be just fine"

"No James." Her voice threatening to rise louder " We need to talk about this"

"Talk about what? Two minutes ago, you were fine, we were kissing"

"It’s not the same"

"What?"

"You're gone James. We act like you're here, that I can see you, kiss you. Ever feel you. Talk about your mother like she isn’t down there waiting with you every day.

She held back tears as the words rose out of her instead

"But I can't really, there's no warmth for me, I come because I miss you, but it's hard"

There was silence next to her, no words. She turned to face him, she didn't want to leave him, she just gets scared sometimes.

He wasn't there. Just gone. Not another word said. She called for him, cried for him, but she stayed alone in that graveyard, only moving when the sun rose.

She trudged through the front door and went straight to her bathroom, cleaning all the grime of the night off. She had tear streaks through her makeup, a living sad clown for all to see.

There was a bustling from the kitchen, someone else in the house had woken up. She cleaned her make up, messing her hair up in a just-woke-up look.

“Morning love"

Her mum at the door, in her hands a tray. Nothing extravagant. Some toast, water and two little pills.

October 29, 2020 09:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

11:55 Nov 06, 2020

What a poignant story with so many levels of meaning. You could certainly choose to expand this to a longer text. Keep writing.

Reply

Adrian Locke
07:08 Nov 07, 2020

Thank you very much, I honestly didn't expect any feedback so that means a lot to hear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.