Maya, My First Love

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Write a story that spans a month during which everything changes.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

              chapter-1




Maya was extra cheery that day, in fact she was in the good mood from last couple of days. She resigned from her position, as a Book store manager and now looking for new opportunities. She told everyone she was just bored but nobody knew the truth. 


The book store was not doing well, so the owner decided to lay off some employees. But it was so sudden that nobody got the time to find a new job before they leave this place. One of maya’s colleagues got newly married and she found him begging to the owner to not to fire him. Gagan was the sole breadwinner for the whole family and what would he do if he won’t find a new job. Maya was raised by a single mother and she had seen many hardships already. But that didn’t stop her to help others. Next day, she sent a notice period for her resignation to the owner and asked him to give Gagan her position.


Well, that’s that. 



This was Maya, 23 year old, a girl full of life, always happy to help (as her name badge would read), always smiling. They would call her life of the party. 



The door chimes rang and everyone glued their eyes to the door for a prospect customer. A young boy, wearing a denim, shirt nicely tucked in, entered the store. Maya looked at everyone authoritatively and they all moved back. Maya greeted the customer and introduced herself and offered to help. 


Hi, I am Manav. I am looking for some books on travelling. 


Maya pointed out to the travel section. Manav thanked her nodding his head and started looking for books. He found one and asked for a specific book. Maya told the book will be here in two days . While checking out Maya asked Manav if he would like to have a monthly subscription for his favourite books. Manav smirked and told he was going to abroad for studying, so he didn’t need any subscription. 


Hey, if you don’t mind can I call to check if the book arrived, Manav asked.



Maya gave him her card and wished him good bye.



There was something that everyone noticed in the store. Maya and Manav sheepishly smiling at each other made everyone go , “hmmmmm . Maya pretended as she didn’t hear her colleagues murmuring and got back to her work. 


In the evening she met everyone again and said goodbye. She was emotional but happy. She knew she would land some place new.


Next day, she woke up late because she had no where to go. So she offered her grandmother to take her to a little trip to next village. It was quite a day, no targets, no customer only a peaceful day in the country side. In the evening they both came home and Maya went straight to bed and took her phone in her hand. There were 5 missed calls from an unknown number. She called back, to the number and a guy picked it up instantly, as if he was waiting for this call. 


Hello, Hey where were you? I called you all day.

Hello, who is this? Maya asked.

Oh, i am really sorry. This is Manav. Remember i came to your store yesterday and you gave me your card to let me know if the book arrived. 

The moment Maya heard that name her heart fluttered. She replied, 

“ hey, yes. I remember. I am sorry for missing your call. I was out of town. Is something wrong? Why were you calling me? she asked.


Manav: I just wanted to check if the book came or not. But when you didn’t pick up the phone it made me worried and I actually went back to store and found out that you quit your job? Why? What happened? 


Maya could hear the disturbance in his voice. But she couldn’t understand why would a stranger could care for her not taking calls and quitting her job? 


Maya: yes, i resigned. The day you came that was my last day. But don’t worry i gave your number to my former colleagues they would call you when the book is here. 


Manav: um, ah okay. Thanks.


Maya could actually hear him shivering and couldn’t resist and asked.


Maya: Hey, where are you? Are you shivering? 

Manav smiled and said, 


yes i am on the terrace on my farmhouse and it’s pretty cold here. I just wanted to talk to you before I could go to sleep. 


Just a formal conversation turned into not so formal. They started talking as if they were best friends already. Sharing stories. She also found out that Manav was five years younger than her. 

She called her a kid and giggled. She asked Manav to hang up the phone and go to bed.



Manav: Hey, I really want to talk to you. I can’t talk in my room as my father is sleeping there so that’s why i had to come up here. But if you want to sleep you can go ahead. 


Maya knew something was going on. So she laughed and asked,


Hey, i hope you’re not in love with me. 


Manav took a sigh and said, Maybe.


and hung up the phone.



It was not the first time when a boy showed interest in Maya. She was beautiful, attractive. But this was the first time in a long time, she actually felt something for a boy after her bad break up.



All night she was thinking , trying to understand what’s going on? Why would he call me? He didn’t seem so young to me. He seemed almost my age. He sure was handsome. Mumbling all night , trying to convince her own mind.



Well, it was just a START OF THE NEW BEGINNING.



                      Stranger Danger

                     ___________


A week passed by, Maya and Manav were talking and chatting on phone. After a week he asked her to meet. Well, she was still looking for a job and told him that she would meet him after her interview. 


Maya got ready and prepared for her interview. Anxious and nervous, not for the job interview but for meeting him. After her interview she called him and decided a place to meet up. 


Maya saw him from afar and waved at him. Manav didn’t wave but he was curiously looking at her as she was approaching him. Maya thought why didn’t he wave? And that was the first question she asked him when she reached. 

Manav was awestruck and said

I am so sorry I didn’t recognise you without your uniform, he giggled.


Maya wore a formal pant suit on her job, hair all tucked in a bun. But today her hair were down and she was wearing a grey cardigan with a denim jeans. Obviously he didn’t recognise her. She had a dynamic personality. She was often told that she looked different with her hair down.


Manav opened his car door like a gentleman and maya sat. Her heart was beating thousands times faster than usual. Yes, it was the first time she sat in a boy’s car, in the front seat. Manav started the car and asked where to? Maya told she could spare an hour or so but then she would head home. 


Maya was raised in a strict family so unless there was a reason to go out , she was supposed to stay in. Only she knew, how she convinced her mother to let her do a job in a different town. It was tough for her. But it was all about to change now. Wink wink!!!



Manav drove around for a bit and asked how did her interview go. Maya smiled and said, it was ok. But i am yet to give two more interviews, then i will see what should I choose. 


because this time she was trying something new, a job in a bank as a relationship manager. She had no idea what was doing. All she wanted a new job, any job to meet her ends until she finds something really interesting.


After sometime Manav dropped her to the nearest bus station and bid her goodbye. He was smiling, sweating in the month of November and still trying to understand what was going on with him. 


Manav had a very good background with rich parents. All his life he lived in Mumbai, studied in a elite school and now he was all set to go to abroad for his higher studies. But before he could go, he came to his village to meet everyone. This was their ritual, every year they would come to their farmhouse in punjab to meet their relatives and spend some time here to escape all the hustle bustle of a big city. But little did he know, that his one short visit to his village this time, was going to change his life. He met a stranger here and he knew it was the beginning of something dangerous and adventurous. 


After reaching home Manav called his cousin Gopal home and told him everything. He could not control. He had to tell this to someone. Gopal laughed and thought he must be joking. But looking at Manav face he controlled his laugh and asked how did he meet this girl in this village. Manav told him that he met her in a book shop in the town. Gopal was little younger than him but he understood what was happening and told him 


Yes, brother. It’s a party time. You’re in love. But I still don’t believe you. So first, i want to meet this mysterious girl and check if she really exists.


Manav excitedly said, “Yes Yes. You will meet her soon. I promise. 


Gopal never saw Manav like this before. He was unexpectedly happy and his face was red. 


Gopal had no idea that his 18 years old brother was going to fall , for his FIRST LOVE. 


This is what happens, when you start falling for someone for the first time. You see blooms everywhere, sky is pink and even the cold breeze feels like a warm blanket. 


Isn’t it? 

April 11, 2021 13:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.