0 comments

Contemporary Urban Fantasy Fiction

My day started off simple enough. I was at home without much to do. The last couple days had been colder than it’s been in a while. Much too cold for a mid-summer day. I’d spent most of the day writing, or well, trying to write. After staring at the blank page for what seemed like eternity, I could feel my brain turning to mush. I needed a break.I looked at my phone, hoping to kill some time swiping through my apps. I had deleted all the fun ones in hope that I’d be less distracted. Instead, the boredom made me the most unfocused I’d ever been. It felt like even a drop of dopamine would turn me into a junkie.

Just as I was just about to put down my phone, dissatisfied with the entertainment that it provided, something caught my eye. It was the moon phase tracker I’d downloaded for no reason in particular. Don’t get me wrong, I thought the moon was alright, but I wasn’t one of those “praise the moon” kinda people. Even now, I wouldn’t say I praise the moon. I just thought it was pretty.

The moon on my screen was completely white. I wasn’t a meteorologist by trade or anything, but that signified a full moon to me. I hopped on google just to make sure, typing “next full moon” into the search bar. Sure enough, an article read “August 1st Super Moon''. Tonight was indeed August 1st. My tracker hadn’t failed me yet! Thoughts of wolves and spirits filled my mind and suddenly I had an idea. I would finally get up from my boring desk and get my thoughts moving during the full moon. That would surely spur some creativity! With newfound motivation, and my desperation to fill up my blank page, I spent the rest of the evening planning where I’d go to get the best view. In the end I found my destination. Sky’s Edge. It was a hill only a 30 minute walk from my house. Just far enough from the middle of town that I could enjoy some alone time, but just close enough I could bail home if anything popped off. It was perfect.

I packed my backpack with the essentials before heading out. Phone, keys, wallet. I made sure to bring along a notebook and pen just in case inspiration struck.

“Bye, Kenji, be a good boy now,” I crooned, patting my little Shih-Tzu on the head and giving him a quick peck on the forehead. He responded by licking my lips.

“Gah!” I yelled while recoiling, “you stupid dog, always gotta ruin the moment.” He stared at me, blinking slowly and cocking his head. I let out a sigh of defeat. He was good. Way too good.

With that, I walked out into the dark, starry night with a youthful confidence uncommon of me. The energy from the moon was already in full effect.

The night air was cool and light. Everything was clear, especially the sky. There wasn’t a cloud in sight. It was the type of night where magic was real and miracles happened. Anything was possible during a Super Moon.

After about 15 minutes of walking, after the last of the cars driving by and people taking their dogs out for a night stroll, I finally got a good view of the moon. It shone bright, but not brilliantly; more like a quiet genius, radiating its calm beauty from atop the trees.

I pulled out my phone camera, hoping to capture even a fraction of what my eyes were experiencing, only to be utterly disappointed. What I saw on my phone screen wasn’t even close to the reality of what was actually out there in the sky.

“What’s the point in getting an expensive ass Iphone if the camera sucks,” I muttered, shoving my phone back into my pocket and regretting my financial investments. I guess just seeing it would have to be enough for now.

I continued on with the walk, the moon hiding behind the trees once more. Soon enough, I was at the base of Sky’s Edge. Only another 10 minutes to the top. Going up a hill at night along a dark unpaved trail was about as terrifying as you’d imagine it to be. Every rustle of leaves set my hair on end and every snap of a twig plunged my heart right into my heart. I told myself that I couldn’t be afraid on the night of a Super Moon. I reminded myself that there was nothing out there, that it was just me out there, all alone in the middle of the trees on the night where the most people are sent to the ER. For some reason, it didn’t seem to calm me down.

Just as I was contemplating turning around and booking it back down the hill, I got a glimpse of a clearing, the moonlight showing the path to what I hoped would be my creative revitalization. I picked up the pace a bit, impatient to get out of the dark. A brisk walk soon became a light jog then to a spirited sprint as I broke through the leaves into the moonlit clearing. I looked around me, noting the rocks I could use as a makeshift desk and chair. Fireflies blinked and danced around me, not at all concerned with my abrupt intrusion.

“Well, I guess I’m not completely alone,” I whispered, chuckling softly to myself. The wind blew softly, filling my nose with the sweet aromas of nature. It amazed me that just a few moments before, I had been shaking in my boots, closing off my reality to the wonderful sensations all around me. Fear had taken the beauty around me and corrupted it, but while the fear was gone, I managed to take in the ethereal atmosphere of my surroundings. And that was all before I had even seen the moon.

I turned around, facing the divine satellite. From atop the hill, the moon had nearly doubled in size. It filled up the entire sky, holding nothing back this time. It was much different from the timid elegance I had experienced before. Now the moon stared back at me as if saying, “Look at me in all my greatness! Have you ever seen anything as beautiful?” I had no words in response. It had left me speechless.

Then the sky began to fall, or at least that’s what it looked like. The already massive moon grew ever bigger, the stars in the sky becoming brighter. In reality, the sky was not falling. I was rising.

August 12, 2023 01:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.