The Golden Apple

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

3 comments

Fiction Holiday Kids

"So you are saying that there's a golden apple somewhere in the woods?". Asked Logan as he waited for Levi's answer impatiently because he was so interested. "Yes, I'm pretty sure. My dad used to take me to the woods, he told me that many years ago, a tree in that woods grew so big. It was huge. And it only grows golden apples. But people didn't liked that tree. They said it was so huge, it looked evil. So they cut down that tree. That tree was gone many years ago but one of the golden apple is still there somewhere". Levi explained. "Ok then, lets go find it". Logan said happily.

The two kids went to the woods to find that one golden apple. They looked every where but couldn't find the apple. "Are you sure it was here?". Logan asked. "I guess. Must be under the leaves or mud". Levi said not wanting to be labelled as a liar. They continue finding it. Few hours passed by and there was not even a sign of an apple. The two kids grew hungry and tired. "I don't think so this story is true. It's late we should be get going". Logan said while panting. "No! Not until we find the apple". Said Levi as he threw the basket of normal apples that they picked during their search. "There is nothing to get angry about. You are a liar and you just wasted my time. There is no golden apple here in these woods. I'm out". Logan stormed off. Levi got really sad. He himself doesn't know the truth. But he knew one thing, his dad never lied to him. He continued his search the whole night. He got lost. Many officers tried finding him but he just seemed to got lost in the woods.

Eight years later, Logan was now fiveteen years old. He was in a different city. One day he got a call from an unknown number. "Hello?". He said. "Hi, is this Logan D'Saint?". "Yes I am. Who's this?". Logan asked. "I am a police officer. We were given a case of a missing boy in the woods eight years ago, but his mother refused to dismiss the case". The officer said. "So?". Logan asked in a confusing manner. He thought that the boy was me who went to the woods eight years ago. But then he realised it was someone else with him too. "We were just looking for him in the woods and we found a piece of paper under the leaves. The note says "𝐿𝑜𝑔𝑎𝑛 𝐷'𝑆𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑡, 𝑚𝑦 𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑓𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑑. 𝒉𝑒 𝑑𝑖𝑑𝑛'𝑡 𝑏𝑒𝑙𝑖𝑒𝑣𝑒 𝑚𝑒 𝑤𝒉𝑒𝑛 𝐼 𝑠𝑎𝑖𝑑 𝑡𝒉𝑎𝑡 𝑡𝒉𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 𝑔𝑜𝑙𝑑𝑒𝑛 𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑡𝒉𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑜𝑑𝑠. 𝐻𝑒'𝑠 𝑔𝑜𝑛𝑒..." , The officer read the note outloud. Before he could say further, Logan intervened. "I'm coming back". He said, his eyes were widened. "So Levi never left the woods.. He continued finding that golden apple all by himself. And I just got so angry that I shifted here without saying him a goodbye". Logan thought. He decided to go back to that city only to find his best friend. His only best friend. He started packing his stuff. His mother entered the room. "Logan where are you going?". She asked as she blows on her coffee. "Mom, I have to leave. I'll be back in few days. I need to find my best friend". Logan replied. "Which friend? Where are you leaving?". His mother asked. "Long story... I'll tell you everything once I get back. Right now I have to leave". Logan said as he left the room with his bag. "Logan what about your school?". His mother asked but all she could hear was a door closing sound.

After some time, when he arrived back to the same city, he went to the woods. Logan found few officers looking for Levi. Without being noticed, he looked for his old friend everywhere. He came across to some old places where he and Levi searched for the golden apple. Memories of him striking his mind made him sad.

It was night time. All the officers went home already. But Logan decided to search for his friend. He looked for him everywhere but couldn't find him. He even called out his name multiple times. Suddenly his head hit to a very rocky thing. "Oww". Logan hissed in pain. He flashed his torch on that area and found a cave. It was a very strange cave. Dark, dirty and damp. When he entered the cave, he saw a writing engraved on the wall of that cave. It says "I don't blame anyone for not believing me, if I had not experienced it myself, I would not have believed it myself". Logan read it outloud. When he walked a little ahead. His eyes became wide and his jaw dropped. He couldn't believe his eyes. So many golden apples were lying on the floor. Each apple had a name. Before picking up any of the apple, he looked at the walls of the cave and found another writing etched on the wall. It says "The search for something can prove as interesting as finding it". The whole cave walls were carved with something weird and stuff like that. Logan ignored them. He picked up the apples to search for Levi's name. After few apples, he found an apple on which Levi's name was written. His eyes became teary. "Sorry I didn't believe you my friend. I'm so sorry". Logan whispered.

Abruptly the cave started shaking. Logan could smell a weird smell as if someone had spelled the cave. The cave was filling up with smoke and Logan started coughing. The cave was blocked and there was no way to get out of the cave. Logan banged the cave and screamed for help. And within few seconds there was a new golden apple on the same place of the cave where Logan was standing but Logan was nowhere to be seen. The apple exhibited Logan's name.

The End.

October 13, 2020 08:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Story Time
16:46 Oct 22, 2020

I love where you went with the prompt. Also, the brevity of it really kept me hooked.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maheen Asif
16:21 Oct 13, 2020

Very nice story . Great work girl !! ♥️♥️ Leaving the story like this in a cliffhanger has always been one of my favourites

Reply

Show 0 replies
Namrah Rana
14:27 Oct 13, 2020

Mind blowing...way to exlain whole story ... context text really good..I really appreciate u work.. great effort

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.