0 comments

Crime Fiction Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

As he sat down to write, Michael Lockwood felt a familiar chill creep up his spine—a sense of disillusionment mingled with something far darker. The initial excitement he once felt when faced with a blank page had long since vanished, replaced by a profound emptiness that gnawed at him like a ravenous hunger, hollowing him out from the inside. His fingers hovered over the keys, twitching with a need that surged through him, desperate and insistent. Yet the words, when they came, were lifeless, flat. Despite his countless hours of struggle, of bending his mind into unnatural shapes, he found it impossible to establish any meaningful connection with his audience. Writing had become a torment, a daily ritual of frustration and growing bitterness, each word pulled from his mind like a tooth, slow and painful, leaving behind only raw, exposed nerves. Every new idea seemed to disintegrate the moment it touched the page, as if the paper itself rejected his efforts, sensing the ugliness beneath, recoiling from the truth he tried so hard to reveal.

Michael's pursuit of success had become an obsession, an all-consuming force that gnawed away at his soul like a parasite burrowing deeper with each passing day. His world had shrunk to the size of his desk, the flickering cursor on his computer screen a blinking eye, always watching him, mocking him, as if daring him to prove his worth. The walls of his apartment seemed to close in around him, the shadows stretching long and sinister, whispering his failures back to him in voices he could barely hear, yet felt deep in his bones. He prided himself on being a keen observer of human nature, convinced he possessed a rare gift for unearthing the darkest corners of the human soul, exposing the raw, bleeding truths that others refused to see. He believed his work to be brutal and honest, a fearless exploration of fear itself, a descent into the abyss that few dared undertake. Yet his stories fell flat, veering into absurdity, missing their mark like arrows shot blindly into the void. 

He was blind to his flaws, blind to the clumsiness of his prose, to the nonsensical twists that turned his plots into tangled knots. If his work didn’t resonate, it wasn’t his fault. It was because people were too scared, too fragile, to confront the horrors he laid bare. Or so he told himself, whispering it over and over like a prayer, a mantra that might somehow make it true.

He sat at his cluttered desk, surrounded by discarded pages and half-empty cups of coffee, their cold contents forming a bitter sludge at the bottom. The harsh light of the lamp stretched shadows across the walls like skeletal fingers reaching out to clutch at his throat. The empty page before him seemed to throb with a life of its own, a blank, mocking expanse that dared him to try and fail again, to bleed out more of himself into its unyielding whiteness. His hands were shaking, his breath shallow and quick. The silence in the room pressed against his ears like a physical weight, heavy and suffocating. Frustrated, he slammed his laptop shut, the sound echoing through his small, dimly lit apartment like a gunshot. He needed air, needed to clear his head, needed something to break the oppressive quiet that seemed to seep into his very skin. He decided to take a walk, hoping that the cool night air might quiet the buzzing in his brain, the relentless, gnawing thoughts that circled like vultures.

As he wandered the deserted streets of his suburban neighborhood, he felt a strange sense of detachment, as if he were floating above himself, watching from a distance. The houses around him were dark and still, their windows like empty eyes staring out into the night. His footsteps echoed against the pavement, a lonely, rhythmic sound that seemed to grow louder with each step. Then, in the periphery of his vision, he noticed a flicker of movement in an alleyway. Something in the darkness caught his eye, a twitch of shadow that sent a jolt of electricity down his spine, a quickening of his pulse. He turned his head and saw them: a young woman struggling against a man’s tight grip, her face contorted with fear, anger, and something else—something primal, animalistic.

The man's expression was cold, empty, a void where a human face should be, his eyes dark hollows that seemed to swallow the light around them. Michael recognized the woman from the local coffee shop; she was always there, always hidden behind a book or a laptop, lost in her own world, a fleeting figure in his daily life. The man was a stranger, a shadow given form, a figure who seemed to emerge from the very darkness itself.

Michael's breath quickened. His mind began to race, the gears turning, constructing a narrative out of the scene before him—a victim, an assailant, a struggle in the dark, the archetypal battle between innocence and malevolence. He could almost hear her scream, a high, desperate sound that sliced through the night like a blade, sharp and clean. He felt a surge of exhilaration, his heart pounding against his ribs with a force that seemed to shake his very bones. This was real fear, raw and vivid, the kind of fear that gripped the soul and refused to let go, the kind of fear he had been searching for, the kind of fear that would make his stories come alive.

Before he realized what he was doing, Michael took a step forward. "Hey!" he shouted, the word tearing from his throat with a force that surprised him, that seemed to echo through the still night air like a gunshot. The man hesitated, his eyes flicking toward Michael, calculating, assessing, weighing his options. For a moment, everything hung in the balance, the world poised on the edge of a knife. Then, with a muttered curse, the man released the woman and fled, his form swallowed by the shadows of the alleyway, leaving nothing but silence in his wake.

The woman stumbled into the light of a streetlamp, her breath ragged, her hands shaking uncontrollably. Her face was pale, her eyes wide and filled with the remnants of terror, like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice barely a thread of sound, a fragile thing that seemed on the verge of breaking. "He...he was going to—"

Michael nodded, his mouth dry, his heart racing. He barely heard her words, their meaning lost in the rush of blood in his ears. His mind was already spinning, already crafting sentences, molding the moment into something he could use, something he could transform, something he could make his own. The details were etched into his memory with a clarity that thrilled him, each flicker of her eyes, each tremor in her hands, each beat of her heart, a piece of the puzzle that he would fit together later, in the quiet of his apartment. He guided the woman to safety, but his thoughts were elsewhere, lost in the rush of creation, the thrill of a new idea.

By the time he reached his apartment, the idea had swollen, growing in his mind like a storm gathering strength, darkening his thoughts with its intensity. It consumed him, filling every corner of his brain until there was no room for anything else, until all that remained was the need to write, to capture, to create. He moved to his desk, the urgency clawing at him like a living thing, an itch beneath his skin that he could not scratch. His hands trembled with anticipation as he opened his laptop, his fingers hovering over the keys like a pianist poised to strike the first note of a symphony.

The words poured out of him in a fevered rush, a torrent he could neither control nor contain. Each keystroke was a frantic attempt to capture the essence of the moment before it slipped away, before it dissolved into the ether like smoke. Hours passed, unnoticed, unmarked. The outside world faded to a distant hum, the boundaries of his reality shrinking to the size of the glowing screen before him, the rest of the universe falling away like the background noise it had always been.

When he finally stopped, his eyes burned with exhaustion, his fingers ached from the relentless pounding of the keys. He stared at the screen, panting, his chest tight with exhilaration, his skin slick with sweat. What he saw there was more than just a story; it was a piece of himself, raw and real, a dark reflection of the world he saw and the truths he believed. A terrible truth, powerful and terrifying, a truth that lay hidden beneath the surface, waiting to be unearthed.

He gazed at the words, feeling a shiver run down his spine. He had captured it all—the fear, the desperation, the fragile beauty of human terror. He could see it now, clear as day, the lines of the narrative cutting through the fog in his mind like a knife. And for the first time in a long time, he felt something like satisfaction, a flicker of something warm and dark that spread through his chest like a slow burn. It was perfect. It was terrifying. It was true.

He gazed at the words, his eyes tracing each line with a kind of reverence, feeling a shiver run down his spine like an icy hand pressing against his skin. He had captured it all—the fear that trembled in the spaces between breaths, the desperation that clawed at the edges of sanity, the fragile beauty of human terror laid bare. He could see it now, clear as day, each phrase like a blade slicing through the dense fog that had filled his mind for so long, revealing something raw and unfiltered, something he had been too blind to see before. It was as though a veil had been lifted, and he could finally glimpse the dark, twisted truths lurking just beneath the surface of his consciousness.

For the first time in what felt like an eternity, he felt something close to satisfaction, a flicker of warmth that ignited deep within his chest. But it wasn’t a comforting warmth—it was darker, heavier, like a smoldering coal lodged in his heart, spreading slowly, deliberately, seeping into every fiber of his being. It was a sensation both alien and intimate, like an old friend he’d long forgotten. As the feeling expanded, it grew hotter, more intense, like molten metal coursing through his veins, setting his nerves alight with a strange, electric thrill. The burn was almost painful, but there was pleasure in that pain, a twisted gratification that sent a wave of shivers down his spine and made his pulse quicken.

The words on the screen seemed to pulse with life, vibrating with a dark energy that resonated with something deep and primal inside him. He could feel his heartbeat thudding in his chest, matching the rhythm of the sentences he had crafted, each one a steady drumbeat in the symphony of his mind. The fear he had captured wasn't just on the page—it was in the room, in the air around him, a tangible presence that pressed against his skin, that filled his lungs with every breath he took. It was intoxicating, like inhaling smoke, thick and acrid, but impossibly addictive.

He leaned closer to the screen, his face inches from the words, his breath fogging the glass as if the heat of his own thoughts were too much for the air to hold. His eyes were wide, unblinking, tracing each letter with obsessive precision, as if trying to absorb them, to make them a part of him. He could feel something shifting inside him, a low rumble like distant thunder. The warmth spreading through his chest began to throb, beating in time with his racing heart, each pulse a reminder of the dark power he had unleashed. He had tapped into something primal, something ancient and cruel, a force that fed on fear and thrived in the shadows.

The longer he stared at the words, the more he felt them tightening their grip on him, wrapping around his mind like creeping vines, winding tighter, squeezing until he could barely breathe. He welcomed it. There was a purity in this darkness, a kind of honesty he had never known before. It whispered to him, soft and insistent, filling his head with thoughts he dared not name, thoughts that made his skin tingle and his fingers twitch with anticipation. He felt an urge to press his hands against the screen, to feel the cold glass beneath his palms, as if by touching it he might somehow feel the pulse of the life he had created, the dark heartbeat that now thudded in time with his own.

He felt himself slipping, sinking deeper into this new, exhilarating sensation, his thoughts spiraling like a whirlpool pulling him under. The satisfaction he felt grew sharper, a blade with two edges—one of triumph, the other of something darker, something dangerous. The burn in his chest spread, searing through him like a fire that would not be quenched, a hunger that grew with every passing second. He felt alive in a way he hadn't in years, in a way he had never truly felt before. The realization hit him like a blow, sending a wave of shock and pleasure through his body, making his skin prickle with goosebumps. And he knew, with a certainty that thrilled and terrified him, that he wanted more.

He wanted to see how deep the darkness could go, how far he could push it, how much fear he could capture, twist, mold to his will. He wanted to pry open the human soul, to lay bare its most hidden, most shameful terrors, to drag them out into the light and watch them writhe. He wanted to feel this rush again, to feel that warmth spread through his veins, to feel the slow burn in his chest grow hotter, fiercer, until it consumed him whole. He wanted to hold that power in his hands, to bend it to his will, to make it dance to his tune. To feel it pulse beneath his fingertips like a living, breathing thing. 

And he knew, in the deepest, most secret part of himself, that he would stop at nothing to get it.

September 08, 2024 15:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.