0 comments

Romance Drama Funny

"Are you coming tonight?" Elliot's mahogany hair swayed at the honey scented afternoon breeze. August may be hot and damp but the wind still felt nice. 

I looked at him and wondered if his blushes meant that he is anticipating an agreeable answer from me or he was just shy on the whole inviting part. 

"I might take it as a yes if you keep on staring at me like that" he chuckled and ruffled his hair enthusiastically. He keep on smiling like an idiot and I admit he lighten up every area by that smile though I want to rip it off to prevent me from getting fooled by it.

"Figures --" I whispered then chuckled as I remembered the first time he invited me to a drink with our office workers. He told me that I might felt left out if I won't come and I just basically told him to scram. I remember how he dropped his shoulders saying that it was his first time getting rejected and it felt like a face slap to him.

How confident of him to be love by people.

I stared at him again and this time he raised his left eyebrow and bellowed, "OHH MADAM-EEE RIIIPLEY, COMEEE WITH MEEE, LET'S PAAAARTY-YYY!" then snorted between his laughs as I incredibly showed the most antagonizing expression to him, not even a face palm can express that shame. 

"Would you look at that? Why are you getting pumped at inviting me when I am not really interested at having fun?" I retorted and started walking to get some space away with this weirdo. Elliot followed and keeping pace as we stride the alley to the bus stop. 

"Well I'm curious too Miss Ripley. I think I got enthralled by your recalcitrant attitude."

I halted and looked at him, this time with my left eyebrow arched up and daggering eyes. "I am recalcitrant? Me? Aren’t you aware that I am older than you Mr. Fernandez, how come you use recalcitrant as an adjective to-- me?" He took a long withdrawn sigh.

 "I'm aware Miss Ripley and-- that I like you and -- that I want to marry you." Elliot stared at me intently; by the Angels this guy must be crazy. He could not possible falling in love with a 32 year old woman like me, won't he? Again by the Angels someone should hit him instead.

"Elly--" I called him, teasing and he flush beet red in an instant. Wonders, this guy is madly in love and I didn't even do anything for him. I cleared my throat, "Mr. Fernandez, you know the rumors, you know my reputation. Why do you keep on following me when you had the chance to chased better woman than me?" 

His eyes smoothen but observing. "Get yourself a lady, not a damned and ruin woman like me." I added then continued to pace the curb around the benches. 

Elliot stands firm but not surprised. He wasn't. Everyone thinks that I sleep with every writer I came to manage, they can't refuse me and that made a name in the company. I am an editor and I really don't know the way things it should be, ever since my fiancée choose his career over me and cut of the engagement, I think I lost a bit of myself there. 

Then Timothy came, my neighbor writer, we made a "mature relationship" as partly as it is, well it may be called as a stupid one as quoted but I guessed we agreed on that part. We don't have that commitment but I notice myself helping him, reaching out on him and taking care of him. 

He wasn't that complicated and I can give him what he need. I like him but that was way back we were high school and I guess he catches up on the stingy feelings. 

Timothy seems aloof as a writer but he made a name with a face that can sell along perhaps. I think he was more lined up as a model than a writer. Nowadays, he was just trying to divert his attention so that he can stop writing and calls me over.

I can't help it, I want him too. While feeding my lust with him, deep down I still yearn for love, from him or maybe from someone. 

For all the years trying to get love, I got drowned by the fact that I am not worthy to someone. I felt dirty. I felt cheap. I fill my head with that ideas and came across this Elliot, four years younger than me, this sunshine attitude, wide eyed loving gaze. 

I came to hate him with that. Elliot brightens the mood while I brought looming shadiness. I’m the subject of every gossips and daggered eyes then Elliot keeps on pestering me like a friendly dolphin.

I came to hate Elliot because of that.

I admit I kept my distance because deep down, I don't want to disappoint him. I don't want to drag him down. I don't want him to know how low I already am. I thought I’ll only need money that I don’t need love. So I refuse every single time he showed love.

But he didn't stop. 

"Then let's marry!" Elliot screamed and dashed towards me blocking the path. I swear this time I got caught off guard and nearly hit my knees to the bench. 

"I said let's marry." He said as he catches his breath. He didn't stop or maybe he didn't know where to stop. He stared at me again, firm and well manly. “Let me Marry you Miss Ripley!”

I laugh to myself, I think I was delighted, maybe it was touchy. But I really think that this guy is insane. 

"Well, young man, why are you so worked up on marrying me when

I am not the marrying type? You see, I latched on every man who showed interest--" I slowly walk towards him trying to charm, "I can show you some interest too." I whispered as I trace my thumb to his lips. 

Elliot grabbed my hand and pressed my body to his. I sneered at him and moved my face closer to him. Guys are all the same, they all want the same thing. When they got what they want they'll leave and you got left alone at who knows why. 

This will be easy, after Elliot gets what he wants, he'll leave me alone right? 

Do I really want him to leave? 

"You think I'll leave you alone if you seduce me like that?" he muttered in his ragged breath trying to control himself. I raised my eyebrow again. I swear, every time I’m with this guy, I'll be raising my eyebrows for so many times than usual because of his irrational impulse. This is absurd.

"Why? Won’t you want something from me? There's a hotel nearby and I can satisfy you, Elly." I licked my lips as my right hand traces his chest down to his abdomen. Wow, perfect statures. Hunk huh, I smirked while my eyes seduce him. 

Then Elliot suddenly flicked my forehead. That acute intense pain turns my lust to frenzy. I was flabbergasted. 

"You don't mean that don't you? Why the hell did you flicked my damn forehead?!" I meant to scream but the acute intense pain made me teary-eyed. 

It was painful in an instance; it was like an alternative of face slap that I don't even know where to feel bad about it. Do I need to flick his forehead too? 

I crouched and this time Elliot panicked. He moved forward and checked my forehead as he crouched too. "You really think I'm an asshole who just want a steamy night with you?" he said after looking up at my forehead. “Yes, honestly, I do but not just that, you know?” he cupped my face gently and made me looked at him.

"You do think I'm just another guy who only wanted to touch you?” He said sadly as my face gave a ‘YES-YES-I-AM’ look. He inhaled before he speaks again, "Miss Ripley, I respect you, I love you and I really want you to marry me. I may be a man with intense urge to touch you but I really don't want you to see me as a deepshit. I really want you to give me a chance to show how I love you. So please don't think poorly of yourself. I believe you deserve real love too." 

Elliot then assists me to stand and took my bag. “And I believe I can give that to you. I believe that I can take care of you. Although I am not that dependable enough for you and I had lots of faults that may ticked you but I do believe I can offer my love for you. " He added.

I want to protest, to argue, to tell that people can't love someone as low as I am. I want to say this is way too cheesy and it makes me cringe but my voice whimpered and words got trapped as I bit my lips.

This will be very weird and if I stay with him, it will get weirder but I can't bring myself to tell him that I don't deserve it. 

My phone suddenly buzzes at my pocket. Timothy was calling and I answered my phone in a flash. He wants me to come over.

I know what will happen when I'm with him, I just can't stop myself on touching him and Timothy won't think twice on wanting me. 

I can feel Elliot's gaze while I listened to Timothy, he was waiting, although I thought he would go away but he was nonchalantly waiting. 

"Ripley, are you there?" Timothy asked over the line, I got lost on my thought. Well, that's a first. 

I looked at Elliot and sighed, "Tim, I think I can't be there. I'll grab a drink with my co-workers tonight and maybe staying late." I heard Timothy heave a sigh over the line and replied a simple okay and gave me a gracious "Take care of yourself then.” and cut the line.

I searched for Azalea's number and hit the call button. When the other line answered, Azalea's voice replied an exhausted "Hello, Miss Ripley, How are youuu?" 

I smiled, "I think Timothy needs you Zea. I think it's time you take care of him. I'll send the key to his room to the hotel lobby. Get it and take care of him for me,” Azalea replied a startled "okay, I will" and I cut the line. 

I looked at Elliot who was now swinging my bag on his fists. He didn't notice me as I walk towards him. He jolted and stopped swinging my bag and looked at me gloomily. 

I stared at him and smiled at him for being a cinnamon roll over me, "I guess I'm coming with you then." He beamed at me and took my hand and turn to walk back to the pub. 

Elliot squeezed my hand gently, "But you know Mr. Elliot, we can still stop by to a hotel--" he looked at me quizzically cutting off what I am telling to him.

"Miss Ripley, yes, we can truly do that. But first let's marry. The hotel can wait and I guess I can give you better than a hotel." Elliot gave me a goofy smile and I felt annoyingly comforted.

July 28, 2021 20:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.