Contest #141 winner 🏆

160 comments

Fiction

“... I want to paint you.”

She was surprised, sure enough. But she was also curious. Her face concealed nothing, and that was what fascinated me. As she walked through the gallery, each piece evoked something unique from inside her, and she did not bother to mask it. Anyone could read the critique in her face, if they took the time. It is an artist's dream – to clearly see the emotions we inspire with our work.

Many had passed by my work since the showing began, pausing for a moment, offering a quick word of praise. I didn't approach them. But, when she came to my painting, she lingered. At first, she kept a sort of distance, taking in the portrait from optimum perspective.

Then, she moved closer. Closer, still.

Narrowing her eyes, following the strokes of brush that formed arms and legs, and the arch of the neck. But, instead of smiling, like the others, she was disturbed. There was a distinct anxiety resting in her eyes. And that anxiety shattered me faster than any editorial the local paper had ever dished out. Editorials can be shredded with triumphant pleasure. But in the slight furrow of her brow, and the downward tug of her lips, this woman single handedly brought my heartbeat to a most uncomfortable rhythm.  

It was this distinct discomfort that pulled me from my place of observation and motivated me to speak.

“Something wrong?” I asked. 

I startled her, but she smiled and returned her attention to the portrait.

“I was just looking at this dancer,” she replied.

“Yes, but you seemed... upset?” I ventured. “What is it about the dancer?”

She darted her eyes at me for a moment, but only long enough to decide to continue our conversation.

“It's just, I feel sorry for her,” she explained.

“Sorry?” I wasn’t sure what to think, really. “Why?”

“Because, I think she is lonely.”

That threw me off guard. I was accustomed to the usual praise.

“Beautiful.”

“Profound!”

“Truly, one of a kind.”

It grew tiresome in a way, but it was comfortably expected. The local venues were always thrilled with my offerings, but over time, my enthusiasm was reduced to contempt. When my secretary had first booked this showing for my latest piece, I almost threw my coffee at her. 

I was exhausted with the weekend shows at The Courtyard. True, they had conjured a good deal of business as of late, but I felt no satisfaction at the end of the day. All I could hope for were a few simple remarks, no real conversation. No true appreciation.

I had little expectation for this showing. My most recent work was a portrait of a ballet dancer. A studio had commissioned it, but agreed to let me display it at the show before delivery. It was simple in concept, but stood out amid the offerings of that particular show. Amid the bulky sculptures and spattering of interpretive study, my dancer's clean lines were in stark contrast. Dark strokes outlined her body against white canvas, highlighting her single color.

A pale violet tutu.

“Please, what makes you say that?” I pressed her.

This time, she turned to face me, surely intending to end our discussion, or perhaps threaten to call security. I had to save myself quickly.

“Forgive me, it's just, I am Stephen Erik,” I said. 

Her eyes widened, right on cue. “You mean, you're the--”

“Yes, I'm the one responsible for this… sad little dancer,” I replied, through somewhat gritted teeth.

Sad. Sad was not the word I had imagined when bringing this piece to life. There was a soft laugh mingled with her smile, and I thought I saw a faint blush in her cheeks.

“It's wonderful to meet you, Mister Erik. I always hope to see something of yours here at the gallery, and I've never been disappointed.”

At this, I felt I was able to breathe again. “And, you are?” I prodded.

“Grace.”

“Well now, Grace, please, indulge me? Why do you say the dancer is lonely?”

For a moment, she hesitated, and I almost regretted revealing my identity as the artist. I’ve discovered that nice people are often afraid to offend the creator of the work. Perhaps they think we mix our own blood into the paint, or clay, or watercolors. I have never had such an attachment, although others surely have. More than spared feelings, I always craved true reaction. And, happily for me, Grace could not taper her true impressions.

“She holds herself tightly. Like no one else has ever held her before,” she told me.

I looked again at the portrait. Yes, her arms were crossed over her chest, and her feet tightly planted in fifth position. I had sketched her hands myself, and yet, I had not quite noticed how tightly her fingers grasped. Or, perhaps I had done this.

Perhaps I had subconsciously slipped my own hands into those of the dancer.

“That's quite an observation,” I replied. “Is that all?”

“No,” she admitted. “The color. Purple. It's such a lonely color.”

I chuckled a little. “As opposed to, shall we say, yellow?”

Her eyes darted back to me, wholly unamused. “Yellow can be lonely, too.”

“Oh, really? How so? Tell me this philosophy of yellow,” I implored.

“Yellow is a friendly color. It has lots of friends. Lots of people flock to yellow, because it smiles so much. And then, when yellow cries, they don’t know what to do. Because yellow is the one who smiles. So they just wait. Maybe they hand yellow some tissues or something. But it’s not what yellow really needs. So yellow is lonely, too,” she replied. "Even surrounded by people who love them."

I was silent for a long while. I didn’t really know what to say. So much thought, so much perception into a color that rarely graced the edge of my palette. 

“And… purple?”

She took a breath. “I think purple holds all of its feelings inside itself, until it is alone. And then, it cries. But nobody sees.”

At that moment, I knew.

I wanted to paint this woman.



April 10, 2022 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

160 comments

23:25 Apr 22, 2022

Brilliant in its simplicity. One scene, one conversation between these two artists that cold lead to so much more. Love Grace's philosophy on the yellow and purple colors. Creative, intuitive. Love how, in the ending, you circled back to the first sentence, underlying the theme of the story and leaving the reader satisfied and smiling. Congratulations for a well deserved win.

Reply

13:38 Apr 23, 2022

Thank you so much! And thank you for noticing the circle 😆 I love to do that when I can! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amber Writer
22:11 Apr 22, 2022

Not going to lie, purple is my favorite color and what this story said was very relatable. I really loved this story and its one of my very favorites! Keep up the good work and congratulations on winning, Hannah!!! <3

Reply

13:39 Apr 23, 2022

Amber, purple is my bestie’s favorite color too 😊 I’m so glad it was special for you! Thank you for reading it! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M. F. Hopkins
19:23 Apr 22, 2022

This is a wonderful story!

Reply

20:02 Apr 22, 2022

you are too kind :) thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Lavine
18:24 Apr 22, 2022

Congrats! Beautiful story 😉

Reply

20:04 Apr 22, 2022

thanks, Mike! thanks for taking the time to read my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:59 Apr 22, 2022

I found this intimate and thought provoking. Congrats on the win!

Reply

20:05 Apr 22, 2022

I appreciate that SO MUCH! thank you for reading! :) I tend to think a lot about the stories themselves, so it's nice to know that comes through in the writing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
16:53 Apr 22, 2022

Well done and beautifully written :) Congratulations on the win!

Reply

18:01 Apr 22, 2022

thank you, Jeannette! I will be over to look at more of your work soon! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J L Jones
16:22 Apr 22, 2022

Congrats on the win, Hannah! I really enjoyed this story, it left me wanting more. I’m sure you would do a brilliant job making this a longer piece. I have always been intrigued by the psychology of colors, it’s nice to see someone exploring that in writing. Well done!

Reply

18:02 Apr 22, 2022

Thanks, friend :) I have contemplated making this a longer piece. I think I would like to take it all the way through him actually painting her, and maybe talking about more colors! I've had this thought for a long time, but never the right moment to make it work, this prompt really helped me. Thank you for reading! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
16:09 Apr 22, 2022

Beautiful story. Loved what she said about yellow and purple. I look forward to reading more of your stories. Congratulations on the win!

Reply

18:04 Apr 22, 2022

Rachel, you are too kind! I'm glad you enjoyed my little "color talk" :) I will be sure to check out your work as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael McKean
16:05 Apr 22, 2022

Congrats!

Reply

18:04 Apr 22, 2022

thanks, Michael!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
15:58 Apr 22, 2022

I don't paint anymore but I have a character-an android-that does. And his favorite color is purple. I had no particular reason for choosing purple other than that's no one's favorite color, at least as far as I know. It isn't mine. Really I picked it out of thin air. But I'm intrigued by purple being the color that cries alone. Thanks for letting me see colors in a different light. And congrats on the win.

Reply

18:05 Apr 22, 2022

my bestie's favorite color is purple, and this is a little nod to him in the story :) I ended up writing out how I felt about "all the colors" being lonely, just for fun! thank you so much for reading! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kemzyacco Nedd
15:43 Apr 22, 2022

To be honest I was disappointed it ended and felt unsatisfied. Maybe am just greedy I need more :-(. Nonetheless, very well written, I was so invested in these characters. I know so many yellows and purples its crazy. Congrats bae well deserved :-)

Reply

18:06 Apr 22, 2022

you are not wrong, I also feel like I can do more with this. I was worried if I kept writing there would be too much to try and cram into the next bit of words, so I let it rest. BUT! your comment makes me want to go finish the bigger story! thank you so much :) <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zachariah Shaw
15:35 Apr 22, 2022

This is a really beautiful story. The simplicity of it is really moving and some of the phrases (too many for me to quote, really) are stunning. A well deserved winner. Well done.

Reply

18:51 Apr 22, 2022

That means SO MUCH to me! I always tell people, I want my stories to be moving. To make you think about them even once you’ve walked away. Thank you so much for reading 😊♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Debra Brown
15:32 Apr 22, 2022

Congratulations on your win. Great write. I enjoyed reading it. I love how you gave colors feelings. Very creative. Nicely done. Debra

Reply

18:51 Apr 22, 2022

Thanks, Debra! I’ve thought a long time about colors and how we associate emotions with them, so this was so fun to write for me! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Stratton
15:20 Apr 22, 2022

I love this story, it is so beautiful <3 Congratulations!

Reply

18:51 Apr 22, 2022

Thanks, Julia! I appreciate you reading my work 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:43 Apr 22, 2022

THAT'S MY GIRL -- BIG WIN OVERDUE Yahoooooo!!

Reply

14:55 Apr 22, 2022

THANK YOU! I am so excited, I jumped up and down in my chair at the Children's Desk xD thanks for all of your encouragement, Deidra!

Reply

15:48 Apr 22, 2022

Best. librarian. ever.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Yes! I loved it, great job! Congratulations on the win!

Reply

15:04 Apr 22, 2022

thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Hannah. ------------------- Do you read the prologue of a book? A Yes, every time B No, never C Sometimes/It depends Note: I am copy-and-pasting this to multiple people. -------------------

Reply

19:34 Apr 16, 2022

Oh ALWAYS! The Prologue is super important to the story!

Reply

Thank you for replying! I think so too, but you are only the third person to say A!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
17:21 Apr 12, 2022

Hi Hannah, Loved the bit about the lonely colours here and I think it was pretty spot on about yellow and purple (and I wonder what this lady would say about all the other colours?) Also, I'm all for the aesthetics: a painting of a lonely ballerina? Yes please! PS: I'm very impressed by how quickly you posted this story, I usually leave it for last minute...

Reply

18:05 Apr 12, 2022

Riel! thanks for stopping by my page :) I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I have a thought to make it a longer piece and discuss other colors, too! So, I actually was watching an episode of Perry Mason (Raymond Burr is a guilty pleasure Lol) and he was dealing with an art critic, which reminded me of the prompt for this week, so I just jumped in, and here we are! thanks again for your kind words!! <3

Reply

Riel Rosehill
15:16 Apr 22, 2022

OMG Congrats for the win!! Well done Hannah!

Reply

15:19 Apr 22, 2022

THANK YOU!! and thank you for always taking time to read my stories, I appreciate your comments so very much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
20:30 Apr 11, 2022

Hannah, I’m fascinated by the way our brains work - this story is an excellent example of that. And I’m visualizing that tense, lonely dancer in her violet tutu. (I’m even imagining how the layers of paint went on to shade the tulle…)

Reply

20:53 Apr 11, 2022

Hi Cindy! :) thank you so much for taking the time to read my story! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I have always loved purple, so being able to highlight the color in a special way was fun! I will be sure to check your page soon! <3

Reply

Cindy Strube
21:12 Apr 11, 2022

My favorite color! 💜

Reply

Cindy Strube
16:14 Apr 22, 2022

💫 Well done! Congratulations! 💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
04:38 Apr 11, 2022

OMG, that's deep, lovely and rich, Hannah. I just loved this story. The internal monologue of the artist and the thought process of this woman are worded exquisitely. 'Perhaps they think we mix our own blood into the paint, or clay, or watercolors.' - that was clever and witty. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

12:44 Apr 11, 2022

Suma! thank you so much for reading :) and I'm so glad you enjoyed the story! I've had the idea of expressing people and feelings through color for a while, and this was a tiny peek into that. yeah, sometimes people are scared to truly give their opinion of an art piece (with good reason!) I'm glad that amused you! thank you again, I will be sure to check your page for some of your work! <3

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
15:20 Apr 22, 2022

Yay! Congratulations on the win, Hanna!! It was long overdue 🎊

Reply

20:17 Apr 22, 2022

Suma :) you're so kind, thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.