Contest #141 winner 🏆

159 comments

Fiction

“... I want to paint you.”

She was surprised, sure enough. But she was also curious. Her face concealed nothing, and that was what fascinated me. As she walked through the gallery, each piece evoked something unique from inside her, and she did not bother to mask it. Anyone could read the critique in her face, if they took the time. It is an artist's dream – to clearly see the emotions we inspire with our work.

Many had passed by my work since the showing began, pausing for a moment, offering a quick word of praise. I didn't approach them. But, when she came to my painting, she lingered. At first, she kept a sort of distance, taking in the portrait from optimum perspective.

Then, she moved closer. Closer, still.

Narrowing her eyes, following the strokes of brush that formed arms and legs, and the arch of the neck. But, instead of smiling, like the others, she was disturbed. There was a distinct anxiety resting in her eyes. And that anxiety shattered me faster than any editorial the local paper had ever dished out. Editorials can be shredded with triumphant pleasure. But in the slight furrow of her brow, and the downward tug of her lips, this woman single handedly brought my heartbeat to a most uncomfortable rhythm.  

It was this distinct discomfort that pulled me from my place of observation and motivated me to speak.

“Something wrong?” I asked. 

I startled her, but she smiled and returned her attention to the portrait.

“I was just looking at this dancer,” she replied.

“Yes, but you seemed... upset?” I ventured. “What is it about the dancer?”

She darted her eyes at me for a moment, but only long enough to decide to continue our conversation.

“It's just, I feel sorry for her,” she explained.

“Sorry?” I wasn’t sure what to think, really. “Why?”

“Because, I think she is lonely.”

That threw me off guard. I was accustomed to the usual praise.

“Beautiful.”

“Profound!”

“Truly, one of a kind.”

It grew tiresome in a way, but it was comfortably expected. The local venues were always thrilled with my offerings, but over time, my enthusiasm was reduced to contempt. When my secretary had first booked this showing for my latest piece, I almost threw my coffee at her. 

I was exhausted with the weekend shows at The Courtyard. True, they had conjured a good deal of business as of late, but I felt no satisfaction at the end of the day. All I could hope for were a few simple remarks, no real conversation. No true appreciation.

I had little expectation for this showing. My most recent work was a portrait of a ballet dancer. A studio had commissioned it, but agreed to let me display it at the show before delivery. It was simple in concept, but stood out amid the offerings of that particular show. Amid the bulky sculptures and spattering of interpretive study, my dancer's clean lines were in stark contrast. Dark strokes outlined her body against white canvas, highlighting her single color.

A pale violet tutu.

“Please, what makes you say that?” I pressed her.

This time, she turned to face me, surely intending to end our discussion, or perhaps threaten to call security. I had to save myself quickly.

“Forgive me, it's just, I am Stephen Erik,” I said. 

Her eyes widened, right on cue. “You mean, you're the--”

“Yes, I'm the one responsible for this… sad little dancer,” I replied, through somewhat gritted teeth.

Sad. Sad was not the word I had imagined when bringing this piece to life. There was a soft laugh mingled with her smile, and I thought I saw a faint blush in her cheeks.

“It's wonderful to meet you, Mister Erik. I always hope to see something of yours here at the gallery, and I've never been disappointed.”

At this, I felt I was able to breathe again. “And, you are?” I prodded.

“Grace.”

“Well now, Grace, please, indulge me? Why do you say the dancer is lonely?”

For a moment, she hesitated, and I almost regretted revealing my identity as the artist. I’ve discovered that nice people are often afraid to offend the creator of the work. Perhaps they think we mix our own blood into the paint, or clay, or watercolors. I have never had such an attachment, although others surely have. More than spared feelings, I always craved true reaction. And, happily for me, Grace could not taper her true impressions.

“She holds herself tightly. Like no one else has ever held her before,” she told me.

I looked again at the portrait. Yes, her arms were crossed over her chest, and her feet tightly planted in fifth position. I had sketched her hands myself, and yet, I had not quite noticed how tightly her fingers grasped. Or, perhaps I had done this.

Perhaps I had subconsciously slipped my own hands into those of the dancer.

“That's quite an observation,” I replied. “Is that all?”

“No,” she admitted. “The color. Purple. It's such a lonely color.”

I chuckled a little. “As opposed to, shall we say, yellow?”

Her eyes darted back to me, wholly unamused. “Yellow can be lonely, too.”

“Oh, really? How so? Tell me this philosophy of yellow,” I implored.

“Yellow is a friendly color. It has lots of friends. Lots of people flock to yellow, because it smiles so much. And then, when yellow cries, they don’t know what to do. Because yellow is the one who smiles. So they just wait. Maybe they hand yellow some tissues or something. But it’s not what yellow really needs. So yellow is lonely, too,” she replied. "Even surrounded by people who love them."

I was silent for a long while. I didn’t really know what to say. So much thought, so much perception into a color that rarely graced the edge of my palette. 

“And… purple?”

She took a breath. “I think purple holds all of its feelings inside itself, until it is alone. And then, it cries. But nobody sees.”

At that moment, I knew.

I wanted to paint this woman.



April 10, 2022 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

159 comments

Prithvi David
03:00 May 09, 2022

Just a quick question. Does this story have like a certain time frame to it?

Reply

11:16 May 09, 2022

So, I didn’t have a specific date, but I intended it to be a fairly modern era (within the last 20 years or so) hope that helps!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kenneth Allan
00:01 May 09, 2022

Brilliant. The portrayal of the woman had so much depth and sensitivity.

Reply

01:25 May 10, 2022

Kenneth, thank you for that! I really try to step into my character's heads Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dillan T Ajer
22:59 May 08, 2022

Disappointing. I read it to the end, which I rarely do, and I see only a fading brown, which is..... ....disappointment.

Reply

00:23 May 09, 2022

Hey Dillan, sorry this one wasn’t your thing. But I still do appreciate you reading it all the way through!

Reply

Dillan T Ajer
09:34 May 09, 2022

Hi there Hannah, It was nothing personal and I don't usually feedback disappointment. I think you caught me at the wrong time, being tired and grumpy. I've slept now so I apologise if I offended you. I think the setting of your story intrigued me, being a failed artist, and I was hoping for a more poignant and gritty statement about art and artists. I was maybe hoping she'd call him a fraud and tell him to f off. I couldn't figure out why he wanted to paint her, other than alterior motivations! Anyway, your story was a winner so you're enti...

Reply

11:13 May 09, 2022

Hey Dillan 🙂 no worries! As a writer I value all forms of feedback! I know my style/story won’t ALWAYS deliver, I can be too subtle, but my intention was that the artist (Stephen) was lonely. And Grace picked up on that because of how she sees color (the emotions in it) So he suddenly felt “seen”, and decided that he wanted to paint her because she actually understood he was feeling discouraged and kind of stagnant. Anyways! I will take the note and think about flushing out the motives more fully in my next piece 😁

Reply

Dillan T Ajer
12:41 May 09, 2022

Ha, I never got that, but others must have. Stephens lack of confidence and loneliness would account for his opportunism. Unbelievably, your story was also a prompt for me, though it might be viewed as stealing. I outlined a similar, less sweet scenario with a known artist, looking for reassurance out with his sycophantic entourage, but who got much more than he bargained for. Not sure if I'll bother. Your idea is solid.

Reply

16:19 May 09, 2022

… I’m gonna be honest, I would love to read this story!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Viscaria <3
07:13 May 07, 2022

Oh, my God. I think I just fell in love with the way you write. It felt as if I was there, watching the scene unfold! And it's truly amazing. Great Job. You truly deserved to win!

Reply

20:46 May 07, 2022

You are too kind ❤️ I’m so glad you liked it so much! This makes me feel so happy 🥲 sometimes I question if I should be writing, and then I see comments like this and it reassures me. Thank you so very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:46 May 07, 2022

You are too kind ❤️ I’m so glad you liked it so much! This makes me feel so happy 🥲 sometimes I question if I should be writing, and then I see comments like this and it reassures me. Thank you so very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Elayna B
02:50 May 06, 2022

this...this is incredible. you had me tearing up, because purple is my favorite color and the way you described it in your story just...wow. thank you SO much for inviting me into your world <3

Reply

13:06 May 06, 2022

Elayna 😊 I’m so glad you connected with the story. My bestie’s color is purple too. So I bet you are a very kind and caring person ❤️ Thank you for reading and commenting, I truly appreciate it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Na'Ryah Starks
19:43 May 05, 2022

this story was wonderful but it should have been longer cause it was so good

Reply

22:11 May 05, 2022

Na'ryah! that is so sweet of you to say! thank you so much! I definitely think I will be making a longer story here :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yanique Gayle
20:57 May 03, 2022

Good job. Although short, I really enjoyed it. Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emmanuel Bakare
15:00 May 03, 2022

I am awed by how you succinctly described a style of art, with another. How writing intertwines painting. I'm left empty on reading this. The emotions conveyed.. Thank You for blessing me with this.

Reply

01:26 May 10, 2022

Emmanuel, that's so sweet of you! thank you for taking time to read my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Eliz
14:17 May 03, 2022

I love how you assign feelings and philosophies to colors in this piece. I really enjoyed reading this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lori Colt
20:00 Apr 30, 2022

So good. I'm a painter so I really enjoyed reading this one. Great job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nehemiah Giles
07:35 Apr 30, 2022

My favorite part is when she went into the lives and perceptions of the colors I instantly understood where she was going. At one point I got carried away and started to hope that she would list all of the colors and describe them. This story is wonderful. Great work!!

Reply

01:26 May 10, 2022

I am thinking about making this a longer piece so I can talk about more colors :) everyone seems to have wanted more. thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rachael Mungai
16:03 Apr 29, 2022

I might differ from Grace but only because there's nothing to criticise in this story. Got me hooked to the last line. Amazing. ❤

Reply

01:27 May 10, 2022

thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Book Dragon
07:59 Apr 29, 2022

Oh my god. Wow. This is an awesome story and I love it so much! The depth; it's, it's just mesmerizing. You deserved the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ihssane NAAIM
23:43 Apr 28, 2022

I just have to say that i have never related before to a color in such a deep emotional way until i read your story. While your writing is concise, it also holds a lot of meaning and evoked in me various feelings of wonder and loneliness. Thank you for writing this, it really revived in me the passion of writing which i have lost long ago. I hope you can continue inspiring me and surely others!

Reply

01:27 May 10, 2022

I'm so glad that my story could do something so wonderful for you! I will be looking for your stories on here :) I can't wait to read them!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jackie Palm
23:26 Apr 28, 2022

I love that this feels like a snippet of a story I want to know more about. This would be an excellent prologue. I love the imagery of the colors and their meaning and you made compelling characters right off the bat. I was pleasantly surprised at how much detail was in something that was short. I can't ever seem to keep my word count down lol Very well done!

Reply

01:28 May 10, 2022

Jackie! I just might make this one longer Lol everyone seems to like that idea thank you for stopping to read my work <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristina Raynor
17:52 Apr 28, 2022

Is the narrator a he or a she? Their name is Stephen, but you and others refer to them as she in the comments, so I got confused!

Reply

18:54 Apr 28, 2022

Hi Kristina! Sorry about that, the narrator is actually a HE :) If I accidentally referred to Stephen as "she", forgive my autocorrect xD sometimes I reply from my iphone

Reply

Kristina Raynor
07:48 Apr 29, 2022

My older daughter's name is Charlie, and since your narrator wouldn't refer to himself by pronoun, I just had to check even though I've never met a girl Stephen! Okay, so now that I have the pronouns right, CONGRATULATIONS! I really like that your story has no excess fat to trim that distracts from the action and that it has an almost synesthesia-like quality to it. I think it would have had even more impact at the start if you used this line first: "Her face concealed nothing, and that was what fascinated me." To keep the circularity of...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Hayes
01:25 Apr 28, 2022

Beautiful story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marie Malo
17:47 Apr 27, 2022

Love the emotion of colour in this !!! An enticing read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Andrea Doig
10:51 Apr 27, 2022

I loved this one. Your writing style really appeals to me and this is a worthy winner. You have taught me a valuable lesson with this story! I am so caught up in a completed storyline or a full 360 degree experience in my stories… when a simple concept will sometimes suffice. Wow. Thank you. I’m going to take this knowledge into my next offering. Thank you for sharing x

Reply

17:25 Apr 27, 2022

Andrea, thank you so much for reading 😊 and I’m so glad you enjoyed the story! Even if I have a bigger plot in mind, I try to write about “moments” most of the time. Give it a shot! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
10:01 Apr 27, 2022

Hannah, I'm so behind in wishing you a huge congratulations!!! I just now got to read your story. I love when a short story packs so much into so few little words. This entire story made me think of the song, "Yellow" by Coldplay. Which is about feeling cowardly in love, until one "swam across, jumped across for you" and then yellow becomes something entirely different😍

Reply

17:26 Apr 27, 2022

Shea! Thanks for stopping by to read 😊 oh my gosh, I had forgotten about that song! I will need to go listen now 😆❤️

Reply

Shea West
17:33 Apr 27, 2022

I think you'll see that there are some lovely similarities between what you wrote an what Coldplay sang <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.