0 comments

Drama Historical Fiction

May 2, 1944

Dearest Clem-

After these 2 years apart, I miss you more than ever. Every day I pray for your safe return to me and Jimmy. I know this war is needed to save the world from Hitler but why can’t you be fighting it from some safe place instead of inside the belly of some bomber? Yes, I say this in every letter, but it is no less true each time.

The fight here on the home front is as fierce as ever, the collections of scrap metal and rubber has reached a fever pitch. The food shortages of some items continue even though they are rationed. I have to sparingly use sugar and we go meatless sometimes. But most of us feel we are doing our part to help you boys overseas.

Your mom is doing about the same and the rest of the family is OK. Uncle Jack was able to get a better job even at his age due to the labor shortage. He is now a manager for a metals company making bullets for the Army.

Now I have to tell you that I am concerned about our Jimmy. Some time after you arrived in England, he started having really bad nightmares. He just curls into an almost fetal position and starts shouting. Most of the time I can’t tell what he is saying but sometimes it sounds like he is warning someone and calling out times. He won’t be woken up and the nightmares last for about 20 minutes. Afterward, I do wake him up, but he doesn’t remember anything. I took him to Dr Winston who says there is nothing wrong with Jimmy.

I don’t want to worry you. You have enough to worry about. Just want you to know... Jimmy and I love and miss you so much. Please stay safe and come home to us.

Live and kisses.

Doris.

——————-

May 14, 1944

Dearest Doris

I carry you and Jimmy with me on every flight over Germany in the hope that I can return safely to you. Your letters lift me. I think of you as I sit in the turret gun of the B-17 when the flack is flying all around and I am looking for enemy fighters to shoot with my twin 50 caliber machine guns. Glad to hear about uncle Jack. Can’t believe he is in charge of anything, but with this war, who knows.

Your description of Jimmy’s nightmares are curious. Can you tell me what dates he had the nightmares? Please let me know right away. It might be important.

Love you and Jimmy always.

Clem

——————-

May 25, 1944

Dearest Clem-

Your letter seems so strange? What could be important about Jimmy’s nightmares? He is still having them. I am getting even more worried. I am sending this as soon as I got your letter.

Here is a list of some of the recent nightmare dates I can remember:

May 1

May 9

May 13

May 20

May 23

I am taking this to the Post Office right away. Love and miss you so much.

Doris

——————

TELEGRAM

JUNE 4, 1944

MRS DORIS CLAMBERT 775 HAZELST, AKRON, OH

DO NOT WAKE JIMMY FROM NIGHTMARES. HE IS HELPING ME. LETTER TO FOLLOW. CLEM

——————

June 4, 1944

Dearest Clem-

I almost died when the Western Union man knocked on our door to deliver your telegram! I was so sure it was terrible news. What a relief that you are OK. But how is Jimmy helping you?

Jimmy’s nightmares continue, but I will be careful to let him sleep. My sister is coming to stay with me to make sure Jimmy is comfortable a night. I am so exhausted from losing sleep over Jimmy. Please, please, tell me what’s going on.

Love and kisses from us all. Come home safe.

Doris

——————

June 4, 1944

Dearest Doris and Jimmy-

Thanks to you, Jimmy, I am a bit of a hero around here. When our Flying Fortress gets into a firefight over German territory, I begin to hear your voice in my head watching all around my turret gun. I get to concentrate on my target while you help me to see the other German fighters near by. I know just which way to spin and shoot. You have given me the best kill rate in my bomber group. In fact, the B-17 Group has given me the nickname: Clear Eyed Clem.

They ask me if I have eyes on the back of my head. Well, I do .I have you, Jimmy, watching out for me. Every fighter I shoot down protects the entire mission.

I don’t know how it happens but when the shooting starts, there was a voice in my head shouting for me to ‘cover my 6’, or ‘look to 3:00’. It is just amazing. When I saw the dates of Jimmy’s nightmares, they matched the dates of my missions. Even the time matches as you would be asleep when I am over the target. That’s when Jimmy starts directing me. Then, when we get out of harm’s way, the voice fades.

I have not told anyone about this. Please don’t tell anyone. I just tell the guys that I am lucky and fast with my twin 50’s. Right now, I can’t pay for a beer!

I don’t have that many more missions to fly before my rotation. I hope all is well at home and that Jimmy keeps guiding me.

I miss you all.

Clear Eyed Clem

————————-

The Akron Beacon Journal

Sunday, Sept 17, 1944

Local Air Hero Returns Home

AKRON- Staff Sargent Clement Clambert arrived in his home town with a hero’s welcome at City Hall. Mayor Charles E. Slusser gave him the keys to the city after a stirring speech. Staff Sargent Clambert arrived in Akron after visiting the White House in Washington DC. President Roosevelt awarded him the Distinguished Flying Cross for shooting down over 30 German fighters during his 25 missions from England over German territory.

Staff Sargent Clambert was a gunner suspended in a turret under the body of his B-17 Flying Fortress Bomber where he could rotate full circle and use his twin 50 caliber machine guns to shoot down enemy fighters attacking his bomb group. He earned the nickname Clear Eyed Clem from his fellow airmen for his uncanny ability to find and shoot down German planes. When asked how he was able to do this; he said with a smile, “I just had a voice in my head that told me where to look. I am just so glad to be home safe with my family.”

After spending some time with his wife, Doris, and son, Jimmy, here in Akron, Staff Sargent Clambert will be touring the country for the Air Force asking everyone to support the war effort by buying war bonds.

August 23, 2023 18:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.