0 comments

Coming of Age High School

I wake up every day wishing I had what she had, a perfect life. My name is Megan. I'm just a regular individual attending this fancy private school called Eden Academy. Every day at school I see these rich and unique people wishing I was one of them, especially Allison Eden. Dating the most popular and wealthiest guy in our school has perfect grades, is the person people look up to, and to top that she is the granddaughter of Benard Eden the owner of this academy. 

I catch that girl Morgan or Megan whatever staring at me, that one non-rich girl, sometimes I wish I was like her, normal. I know most people think I have such a perfect life but it's not all that great. I do love all my gifts and my home. I just sometimes wish I could do what normal people do, hang out with anyone I want, and not always be pressured because of everyone's expectations. If only we could swap places. 

As I'm about to leave to get to my classes, Allison gives me a disgusted face and yells “what”? The attention shifts to me, embarrassed I just walk away. I get to homeroom and before class starts my best friend Bella asks me what I did that made Allison mad. Bella says “you should be careful and try not to tick her off since she is the granddaughter of the most powerful person in this school”. Plus today was my 16th birthday and my mom bought my favorite ice cream cake! But nobody cared about my birthday, not counting Bella. They only cared about Allison's birthday party. Most of the people in our grade were invited but not me which is used to but who cares? 

Today is my birthday which I'm so excited about. My mom hired a famous band for my birthday!! It's the talk of the school I invited most of our grade to my party. Everyone has been congratulating me and I'm sure my popularity will get a boost! I don't even care that much but that's all my parents will talk about my grades and always pointing out my mistakes NEVER any compliments. They can never apologize, they always just give me their credit card or throw a party. But since they're always out of town for work my closest friend has probably been my maids. 

It's my birthday and I get back home with my family. My mom went to pick up my cake so I went ahead and finished my homework and watched a show on Hulu. Once I finished my mom came back with my cake and the whole family came out and gave me gifts. I got a couple of things off my wish list! Now it was time for the cake for my wish. I wished to have what I yearned for for just a day. And I blew the candles to hopefully grant my wish. 

It was finally time for my party. I had a mountain of gifts and the world-famous band performed and it was amazing! I was wearing this extravagant dress and stood out with a fluffy light-up white crown!! After a bit, the cake came out and it was time to say my wish. I wished to have what I've been wanting for the longest time just for even a day. After the party 3 vases were broken, 12 carpet stains, 5 couch stains, etc. I did give a bonus to the cleaner since it's hard to do. My favorite worker of my parents, Ashley, told me that my parents went on another business trip to Rome. I used to be bothered that my parents were constantly on business trips but I have gotten used to it and just asked her to tell them to bring me a small souvenir. 

Soon it was time to go to bed so I did my normal routine shower, change, skincare, I fell asleep at midnight.  

Finally it was time to go to bed so I showered and changed and did skin care and a face mask! I fell asleep at midnight.

I woke up confused. I was in some expensive looking room, I thought I was dreaming so I slapped myself but nothing was working to go back!  I tried to figure out who I was so I got out of bed and went Inside this luxurious marbled bathroom with HEATED FLOOR. I looked up to see myself in the mirror and I was shocked to see my own reflection! I was ALLISON EDEN! THE MOST POPULAR GIRL IN THE WHOLE SCHOOL! I checked the time I deliberately found my phone and messaged the real Allison on instagram seeing who is I’m guessing dead or in my place.

I wake up in some small room that looks like an average room but at the same time extremely small and messy. I just realized what was happening, i was in some strangers home! I started screaming as loud as i could then a middle aged woman came in and said ``what's wrong Megan”? Trying to remain as calm as possible. I say I’m fine after she leaves. I hear a ding from a phone next to me, is it from me? Looking for answers I click on the notification and then I start asking questions,and she said that we’ve swapped places maybe because our birthday was yesterday. I asked what she asked for when she blew the candles, she replied I wished for a normal person's life for a day. 

WE finally figured out what happened. We swapped places because we both wished for what each other had, and slept at midnight! So after today it will all turn. back to normal. So we decided we were going to enjoy the day however but we did have rules that were perfectly suitable. As we went through the day we realized how bland it was and wished for it to all go back. And bam the next it was normal,  after the experience Allison and Megan became the colts of friends.

August 13, 2022 01:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.