0 comments

High School Teens & Young Adult Fiction

Moral luck is the pique of humanic ferocity.

Even the slightest hint of the convoluted term could wipe out an entire nation if treated properly. It’s arguably the most intense form of humanity's greatest achievements and will continue to stay that way until the world has completely devastated itself. The universe is simply a game of chess in which everyone gets the opportunity to play, but unfortunately for the challenger, the opponent will always be victorious. It doesn't matter who possesses the better skills or the higher willpower, the determining factor will always be something insignificant, inconsequential, and out of the challenger’s control.

This is all under the principle of luck, something that has been around since living life forces first started to appear on earth. The lucky people always win and the unlucky people lose, that’s how it’s been since the start, and that’s how it will end. That is, unless luck were to be composed and compiled into a functioning entity capable of controlling the mystical power it possesses.

This is why I’ve decided to develop an experiment that could change the lives of everyone for good. It will circulate the flowing force of luck to the people of the world evenly, and will never be biased in a way that is harmful to anyone ever again. That isn’t to say no one will ever get struck by lightning again, but rather, the person in control of their own luck has a better shot at protecting themselves if used correctly. After all, the world isn’t perfect; only through their given luck shall a person be able to live at least somewhat carefree in the environment around them. This would also lead to the critical-thinking levels of humans to sky-rocket, improving the evolution of the human species as a whole.

In my final statement, the idea of luck has been taken advantage of, and is never given to the people who rightfully deserve it. Controlling luck would be the only way of continuing to live peacefully on earth in the future. The world depends on it, and so do the people that live here.



XXX



A long sigh softly emanated from her rose-colored lips, “Ray, do you remember what the assignment I assigned was?”

Everyone had already left the classroom and I could feel the heavy eyes of my fourth-period teacher look up at me with her powerful gaze. I was standing in front of her desk at the front of the classroom looking out at the tangerine sky through the windows on the left wall. She’d told me to stay after class, so here I was.

“You told us to write about something inconvenient, and include a way to conveniently fix it. Now, can I go home? What’s the hold-up?”

“Not that your story wasn’t curious, but I have a few questions about the theory of luck you’ve thought up.”

“There’s no ‘theory of luck’, only the fact of the matter.”

“Oh, really?” She brought her face closer to the paper I’d turned in at the beginning of class resting in between her fingers. “While this is a fairly jumbled mess of an assignment, I’d like to ask: When you mentioned how the universe was like and game of chess and the challengers always lose, who are their opponents?”

“It’s luck, of course. No one can beat luck.”

“Well, you’re not wrong.” I watched as she twirled her long scarlet hair in her finger as she laid my paper down on her desk.

She seemed to read through the whole paper again in a matter of seconds. She was a typical English teacher nonetheless.

“So, if I were to play luck in a game of chess and win, what would happen?”

“That would be impossible. Luck doesn't lose, we just talked about this. Luck is something that decides who to give its blessings to based on chance. I don’t believe there would actually be a way to beat luck unless luck decided to let you win.”

“I see. So in your assignment, you say that the only way to fix luck is to somehow compile it into one ‘functioning entity’ and force it to use its mystical power according to us?”

“Don’t say ‘force’, it makes it sound like we’d be enslaving luck. We, as a community, would simply be using luck in the most efficient way possible. Somewhat like how a chicken’s egg is used as a means of food for us. In no way are we harming the chicken, we’re only using its blessed abilities in the most competent way possible.”

As she adjusted herself in her seat, seemingly keen on my response, I waited on her next move. I was hoping she just wouldn’t say anything unnecessary. Honestly, I just wanted to go home.

“And your experiment…?”

“My experiment…?”

“Yes, the experiment you claim ‘the world depends on’. Tell me, how will you go forth with the experiment?”

I Unintentionally stared at her face for a moment, a face only someone under the age of thirty could possess. “I don’t see how telling you would help me in any way.”

“Hm? Who knows, maybe I could help.”

“I don’t need help. With my luck, I’ll just end up getting screwed anyway. Gaining questionable help would just result in more trouble.”

She looked to her right out at the orange light beaming through the windows. “What you’re saying is that you can accomplish a world-changing experiment on your own? Sounds like a big task for a high-schooler.”

“Eh, what do you know? Sounds to me like Miss English teacher just wants some attention.”

A small smirk arose on her face for just a moment before she answered. Something I hadn’t seen from her before. It was a surprising experience. Lucky, perhaps.

“That’s interesting. Attention, you say… What’s wrong with a little attention? Maybe I’m simply bored.”

“Attention is unnecessary, overrated in fact. And if your boredom is the only reason you’re keeping me here, then I’m leaving. I have work to do.”

“Aw, alright. But before you’re excused, I have to ask what your motive is behind this experiment. Do you just believe you’re on the unfortunate side of luck’s power?”

“If you’re asking if there are people out there with better luck than me, then you’d be right about your assumption. Also, my motive is nothing more than attempting to make the world a better and more even place. If everyone had the same amount of luck, then intelligence and decision-making would simply rule the earth. As it should.”

“But, what if your experiment doesn’t work?”

“Then I suppose I’ll just have to try again, won’t I, Teacher?”

“With help?”

I started to walk towards the door, “That’s something luck decides, not me. I guess you’ll just have to wait and see.”

“Oh well, I guess we will.”

There’s no telling what luck will bring for us next, and even though it’s a blessing in a way, it’s also a curse; a curse that threatens everyone. No matter what situation or what circumstance one finds themself in, there’s no denying that luck will always be watching, deciding our fate in the process.


June 18, 2021 03:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.