5 comments

Holiday

I looked at the clock behind the counter of the smokey atmisphere of this bar. Time was going too slow today, figures. Christmas was always like that, so busy but the clock took its sweet time. I still had a few hours before I had to close up. The bar racked up the same old grunts every year, the homeless, the broken hearted and those who didnt want to get caught breaking the hearts of their spouses. They all wanted to get drunk and forget the holiday that had forgotten them. They all say that Christmas was a day of joy and love but it was never that way for me, personally. I had no family here, I moved from my hometown to study at NYU for music. I couldnt go back and admit that coming out here was a bust. Four years and a degree and nothing to show for it except singing every now and then at the bar. I didnt like thinking about it, it gave a sting to my eyes that wouldn't stop until I gave into the tears. I shook my head of the memories and continued to wipe the glasses clean until someone burst through the door in a whirlwind of snow that fell to his feet. I was so startled that I didnt realize that the glass i had in my hands had shattered to the floor. The man looked around and his eyes fell upon me last, seeing the surprise written all over it. He stepped behind the counter before I could protest and picked up the broken remains of the glass.

"Sorry about that." He uttered in a low voice. He threw the shards away and sat at the bar, taking off his hat to reveal well groomed gray hair, neatly combed back and slick. He was middle aged and the wrinkles around his peircing blue eyes gave him a wise air about him.

"I think ill have a glass of red wine." He said still looking about the room. I nodded and reached up to grab another glass. I was unfortunately too short to even touch the rim of the glass hinging on the rack. A hand reached up and took one and handed it to me. Once again he had stepped behind the counter to help me.

"Thanks."

He only gave a smirk and grabbed a bottle, "i think ill have this one."

No one was allowed behind the counter except me but he seemed sober enough to know not to steal anything. He sauntered back to his seat and I filled his glass.

"Thank you." He took a sip and shed his heavy coat. I went on with my tasks until the bar had emptied. It was the stranger and I only.

I wasnt off until three in the morning and it didnt even hit midnight yet.

"Ugh." I groaned forgetting that he was there for a moment.

"Anything wrong?"

"Oh, sorry. Its just the time goes by so slowly in the winter." I returned to the bar to restock the ice.

"Do you have any family waiting for you?" He asked. I shook my head and stooped down to empty the bag of ice into the ice box.

"Theyre all in California."

"Oh, why so far from home?"

"School, I...decided to study music here." I stood up from the floor and looked at the man. "If were going to exchange life stories at ten thirty at night then we'll need to know eachother's names." I daid sarcastically to distract me from the emotion that threatened my eyes. He laughed and stuck out his hand, "Emmanuel."

"Sylvia."

"So, what brings you here if you have a degree in music?"

"...I didnt recieve any job offer after I graduated, even when I knocked on the doors if every studio...nothing."

"Producer?"

"Singer, actually." I averted my eyes in slight shame if the memory.

Emmanuel seemed to notice my pain and looked at me as if he understood.

"Rejection is very hard, Sylvia. Sometimes almist worse than death."

"Okay, so you know my story. Whats your tale of woe?" I was determined notbto cry.

"Oh, my tale is rough. I was trying to save my children from their own destruction. As loving as I was, how gentle I spoke. They always found a way to deny me."

"Why? You're their father?"

"I know. As much as I love them, I can't make them invite me into their homes and spend time with me."

"...there must be someone you can be with on Christmas."

"Yeah. Not all of them have turned away from me."

"You see? Its not so bad."

"No, every now and then I'll receive a visit and some have come to stay with me, and there's one that I'm hoping to bring home, she needs my direction badly even if she doesn't know it."

"There now. Your tale of woe isn't that bad."

He smiled. "Maybe not." He shrugged and sipped his cup.

"My family seems to think if you're not a doctor or a lawyer that you're not going to make it...i guess they were right in a way."

"Dont give up. There will be someone out there that will be willing to hear you."

"Is that advice or do you know the future?" I asked jokingly.

"A little bit of both." He finished his drink and looked up at me. "Lets hear you."

"Huh?"

"Lets hear your voice."

"Oh no, I can't."

"You can and i know youre only refusing to stop being reminded of your failure."

"But-"

"You didn't fail Sylvia. People have failed you. I want to hear what everyone passed up."

I wanted to protest again but it wasn't any use. I could see it in hid face.

"Christmas past haunts me

Like an omen of memories

That were lost in the snow.

If anyone knew what I know.

They'd know that I went lost long ago.


The meaning once held high

Now drowned in pudding and wine

And songs once sung with charm

Now grow cold and and stale

If anyone knew what I know,

Theyd know I'd rather spend it alone.


If your meaning of christmas

Is only as deep

As the presents under the tree

That you keep

Then maybe look outside to see

Suffering man with no company

If anyone knew what I know

The meaning is to give someone hope."


Emmanuel smiled and laid his hand on mine, "you wrote that didnt you?"

"Yes I did."

"Its beautiful. Make sure you sing it in a studio around this time next year. I promise someone will listen."

I looked up at the clock to see that it was three AM.

"I should better go, its time to close up."

"Of course." He stood and laid his tip on the table

"I hope your daughter comes home tonight, Emmanuel. You musn't keep her waiting either."

"She already has come home, we shared our tales of woe. Don't you remember?"

"What?" I looked up to see the door slammed shut from the wind. I looked down at the table to see 500 dollars and a note that merely said "Merry Christmas."

THE END.






December 23, 2019 16:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Cam Croz
01:13 Jan 02, 2020

This is a beautiful story and I am excessively surprised that more people haven't liked it! It is an amazing life lesson in the form of an extremely well-written story! I loved it! Keep up the good work!

Reply

Sarah Daniel
18:11 Jan 03, 2020

Thsnk you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Natalie M.
15:48 Jan 03, 2020

Hello! Reedsy sends me an email weekly about a "Critique Circle", which is basically recommending stories from others to read and yours was one of them. The story had a nice, seasonal feel and had a sense of beauty to it. The one not so good thing was that there were typos and spelling/grammar errors. That happens at times, so it is understable. Maybe next time just read over once for a spelling/grammar check, I do two re-reads of my stories, one for content and one for correct spelling and etc. It helps and is worth it. Still, I really enjo...

Reply

Sarah Daniel
18:11 Jan 03, 2020

Yeah i tried my best to correct the typos i just got a new phone and im still getting used it it

Reply

Natalie M.
19:42 Jan 04, 2020

I see, I always have issues with my phone too with typing so I understand that. I really enjoyed the story though so keep writing and great job :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.