0 comments

General

October 10, 2011

               I got accepted! I never thought in a million years that this would happen but it did and I am ecstatic. I finally got accepted to work at CLAW labs (in your face mom!). Even though I wasn’t always supported, I made it through hard work and sheer willpower. I figured that this would be a good time to take up journaling because I’ll hopefully be doing some cool stuff. My first day is tomorrow and I have some things to do beforehand. Mostly, continuing to study so that I can impress my peers and hopefully my boss.

October 11, 2021

               So today was pretty crazy, I knew that I had one chance and I couldn’t blow it. I’m kind of a naturally attractive person (wink) so I had to put on a pair of glasses so that they might respect me more. Long story short, it didn’t work. They did not make my first day easy. They run a very tight ship here at CLAW labs. There’s multiple rooms that I’m not allowed into and machines that I’m not even allowed to breathe on. I noticed that they brought in multiple shipments in large crates. They always had something covering them, so I never could have even guessed what was inside. I’m writing this a lot later than usual because the scientist decided to dump some kind of nasty goo on me. Apparently it was some kind of orientation but it took forever to get it off.

October 18, 2021

               I’m starting to get the hang of how things work around here. My main job is to be a lab assistant to anyone who needs me. So I get a chance to work with a lot of the different scientists. Darrin is stone cold, I know that he brings in those crates every day and he won’t tell me what’s in them. Jack is cool, he actually tries to teach me things as he works. Ben always makes me do the grunt work, cleaning things, lifting things. I can do so much more than that. Natalie, well, I like working with Natalie. She’s pretty, she’s smart, she’s cool, and she’s pretty. Did I mention how good she looked in a lab coat? I have a hard focusing when I’m around her but I always personally make sure that she doesn’t need any more help before I leave for the day.

October 29, 2021

               Today was the Halloween party at work, none of us dressed up but we had punch and some desserts. It was a weird day, I was working with Jack and he showed me something that I did not expect. There’s a section of this facility called the cryolabs, I’d never been allowed in until today. I took the tour, still holding the glass of punch. As soon as I walked in, a shiver shot down my spine, it wasn’t just because I was cold but something didn’t feel right. There were frozen animal species lining the walls, animals I’d never seen before: the dodo bird, sabertooth tigers, and giant insects. I’m risking everything to write this down but I needed to get it off my chest. I wasn’t supposed to tell anybody, he didn’t even let me ask questions while we were inside. After work, Jack came up to me and explained some things like: how secret it is, how important it is, and that I’ll learn more in a few years when I advance in the ranks. That seemed like a long time to me, but I guess I’ll try to be patient.

November 19, 2021

               I’d been going about my normal day for a long time now, pretending like I didn’t see what I know I saw. I had some guesses now, about what they could be bringing in those crates. I hoped that it was cool new exotic animals. I walked up to Darrin, hoping that I could crack him this time around, but I got nothing. I know that I shouldn’t have but I made sure that no one was looking and then followed him into the secret room. It was just a hallway with a locked heavy, metal door at the end of it. Darrin stopped in the middle of the hallway and then peaked under the cage. I couldn’t really see what was in it from where I was but I heard him say something like “You’re gonna love it here, I just know it.” I backed away slowly and then hit a table with my butt just as I left (curse my thiccness).

I darted out of the room and behind a corner. I heard Darrin run out to follow me but I was already out of sight, trying to blend in with the other scientists. Ben was walking past me but stopped so that he could load a crate full of junk into my arms to get rid of. I took everything out to the garbage with an irritated sigh, then something fell out of that box; something that made me very uncomfortable. I just can’t get the image out of my mind, of the severed toe lying on the ground.

November 22, 2021

               I was determined to find out what was really happening at CLAW labs. Today I decided that I would plan my “infiltration”. This time, when Darrin took the crates into the secret room he was much more nervous, looking around frantically in case someone might be following. I decided to go to the only person that I could trust, Natalie. I begged her to help me and to tell me things and after lots and LOTS of nagging she finally broke. “I can’t tell you anything but I can give you the key to the door.” She told me. She slipped me the key and then I walked away trying to act normal. I waited until the Lab officially closed to sneak through the door. I fumbled with the key and then I heard footsteps which really gave me a good incentive to get in there faster. I put it in the keyhole turned it and then walked in. Someone yelled, “Where do you think you’re going?!”

               It was Ben, he was right behind me. He’d caught me red-handed. I told him I was sorry but he just walked up to me and then slammed his fist into my face. “You wanna see that lab, you will.” He threatened me. Just when I thought that all hope was gone someone knocked Ben out and he fell in front of me. Jack stood there like a superhero with part of a shattered beaker in his hand. “You need to go.” He warned me. I went back home, but tomorrow I’m going to try again. If there is one thing that you should know about me, I don’t learn from my mistakes.

May 12 2041

               Even after 20 years we still don’t know exactly what happened to him. I’m historian, Drake Stevens. We have looked into the disappearance of the writer of this journal but haven’t been very successful. His disappearance was supposedly linked to the mysterious CLAW labs but that place was shut down in March the year after he disappeared. It was rumored that they were doing human experiments there, mixing human DNA with animals, and even bringing humans and animals both back to life. Legend has it that CLAW labs didn’t completely shut down but just moved to a secret base underground, and they still come up to take people for their crazy experiments. It is however, likely that none of this is true but I suppose it is a mystery that will remain unsolved…for now. 

April 09, 2020 02:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.