0 comments

General

“Go break a leg.” My director and friend, Jack Wilson, called out to me.

I smiled at him nervously. “I’ll try not to.” I said jokingly.

My first performance on stage was tonight. My legs were shaking, my jaw was shaking. Heck, my whole body was shaking. I was so nervous.

Jack had found me on a New York street singing, just trying to make some extra cash to save up for the dress I was wanting to wear for Prom. I still remember what he told me the day we met. 

“Skye, you have potential to be on Broadway with a voice like that.” He said, while chewing a wad of gum.

“Thank you, sir,” I replied. “It’s been my dream to perform on Broadway someday, but something like that can only happen in my dreams.”

“Well, you never know,” he said, and then handed me his business card.

My eyes widened. “Y-you’re the owner of the Shubert Theatre on Broadway?”

“Indeed, I am.” He then pulled out two twenty dollar bills and put them in a little jar that was by my side. “Call me, and we’ll book a day for an audition just for you. I want to hear more, and I know I won’t be disappointed.”

“Thank you so much, Mr. Wilson.” I smiled my biggest smile.

“Just ask for Jack Wilson. I’ll see you soon Skye.” Then he walked off into the busy streets of New York City.  After packing up my stuff on the sidewalk, I ran all the way home to tell my mom.

“You’re on in ten minutes, Skye.” A woman’s voice called out, interrupting my reverie. It was the assistant director, Jackie. She had salt and pepper hair, and a grandmotherly look about her. I looked at her and nodded my head.

“Oh, and stop twiddling your thumbs. You’ll do great.”

I stopped, not even knowing that I had been doing that. 

“I’m just nervous, that’s all.”

“Well, I have heard you sing. And you sound like an angel.”

I blushed at her appraisal. “Thanks.”

“You have a gift.”

After she left, I went back to twiddling my thumbs, counting the minutes until I would go on stage. I thought of another memory.

I only waited one day until I called Jack Wilson’s office. His secretary answered the phone.

“Shubert Theatre, this is Mary.”

I took a deep breath and then spoke. “Hi, my name is Skye Roberts. Jack Wilson told me to call, is he available?”

“Just one moment and I’ll send you over.” The lady replied over the phone.

It only took a few seconds until I was connected to Mr. Wilson. 

“Skye, I’m glad you called. I have a day opened next week. Would you like to take it?”

I was shocked. He was actually serious about me getting an audition. I didn’t know what to say, I was overjoyed. This was actually going to happen. I let out a silent whoop.

“Yes! I would love to take it.”

“Great, I’ll see you next Tuesday at 3 o’clock.”

“Thank you so much, Mr. Wilson. You have no idea how much this means to me.”

“Well, it’s nothing. I’m just trying to find the real talent out in the world. And you’re it.”

I knew he couldn’t see it, but I smiled so big, my cheeks started to hurt.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” I screamed.

Jack chuckled over the phone, “Goodbye Miss Roberts. Shubert Theatre awaits you.”

Someone tapped on my shoulder. Turning around I saw Daisy, the stage director. “One minute.”

“Thank you.” I took a deep breath. This was it; I was either going to make it or break it. I thought of my family, who were all sitting out there in the front row. Dad, mom, my brothers Jason and Mitchell. I knew my best friend Janie was in the audience too. 

My eyes watered. No! I screamed inside. You can’t be getting teary now. You’ll ruin your makeup, Skye. But a single tear escaped. For the longest time, I had dreamed about the day I would finally play on a Broadway theatre. With my family and best friends in the audience. 

And that dream was finally coming true. 

I wiped my eyes, and I took a tentative step towards the stage when I heard Daisy call my name to come on. My knees wanted to buckle, but somehow I made it onto the huge stage without falling and making a fool of myself. Looking down at my hands I saw them shaking.

Don’t be nervous, don’t be nervous. I kept telling myself.

The lights were blinding, but I could just make out my mom in the front row, she gave me a huge smile and a thumbs up. 

No turning back. This might be the only time I will ever do this.

I looked down and saw the music conductor gave me the signal that it was time to start. I nodded to him, and watched him turn his back on me, and raise his baton at the orchestra.

The music started, I took a deep breath, and then sang. I started out timid, but as the music and words went through me, courage built up inside me, and I sang like I had never sung before. 

All while singing I was aware that my shaking had stopped, my knees weren’t hitting against each other, and my arms weren’t shaking uncontrollably. I was standing there tall, and proud of how I was singing. 

I didn’t even notice when the song ended. But I looked out at the crowd, and there was silence. 

Did everyone hate it? I thought to myself. I suddenly became nervous again, what did everyone think?

Then to my surprise, there was clapping all around, and every single person in the building was standing. 

I couldn’t believe my eyes. Was I dreaming? 

People whistled, and some threw roses. They loved it.

Then it hit me. This is what I was supposed to do with my life: perform on a stage. Tears pricked my eyes, and a smile spread across my face. I had found the job that I had dreamed about doing since I was a little girl. 

Broadway here I come. 

July 16, 2020 01:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.