Pets

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic thriller.... view prompt

3 comments

Drama Mystery Thriller

'They were not them. It was as if they never knew me', my thought wanders thinking. "Are you guys okay?", I asked. The only thing that could come out of their mouths was a weird groaning and grunting sound. That's when I definitely knew that there was something wrong. Walking away, I heard a noise behind me, as if someone was following me. Looking behind me, I see my friends, the ones from before, coming from around the corner. I walk faster. All I wanted to do was get home and see my parents to make sure they are okay, at least. Everyone that I bumped into or ran into me made the same sound as my circle did. I couldn't figure out what was exactly going on. The more that sound came out from anywhere, the more my skin was crawling.

'I hope that my parents are not like everyone else around town. That would kill me', thinking about the best and worst possible scenarios. The house is right there. I can see the top of the house. I started running towards it hoping I could get there fast enough. It was as if I was running slower than usual, like you're in a dream. The very moment that I stepped into the house, an eerie feeling blows right past me, like the A.C. was on blast. Only part about that whole moment, the A.C. was off.

As my body gets stuck, my feet can't move and my heart races, I hear my parents coming out from their room. My parents hold onto me tight, crying. "Mi hija, we are so glad you are home. We've been worried about you", my mom says. 'Could it be that this may be the end of a natural disaster? What's so natural about zombies or walkers?', my brain starts racing. "Do you know what's going on out there? I saw people that I knew, groaning at me, like they were admired about something that I had on. It was the freakiest time that I had to ever experience in my life so far. I was almost followed all the way here. I had to cut through a shortcut that I found forever ago, just so I wouldn't get anyone to come over here', I told them.

My dad replies to me, "Here, sit down. We can explain the most that we know, at least." They both go on and on about how something was taking over the world, basically. All they want to do is eat you up and then they can come back to normal, but, only for a certain period of time. Is that possible? So, in other words, they are humans that turn into a walking zombie until they can find a fresh living human and then they become human while the one they ate is now dead. I asked my dad, "So, how long are they human until they turn back into zombie looking creatures?" He shrugged his shoulders. 'Well, I guess that means that there is no more getting out until this whole craziness is out and about away from here', as my mind jumps to 500 million things all at once, trying to process the whole ordeal.

We boarded up the windows and doors. No one was getting into our safe place, one bit!! We sat there and waited a little bit before we felt it was okay to head into the room. No sounds came out anywhere. We discovered that we made a soundproof and ''ZOMBIE'' proof house for that time. We made sure that all lights were off, so that no strangers can get in. No one in our house and no one leaves the house. However long it takes, sticking together is how it's made.

The next morning, we realize that nothing is going on outside. The backyard is the most horrific scene being seen. All the, whatever the population of them is, zombies or walkers were laying there lying on the floor still making that stupid groaning sound. I turn around and my parents are staring at me the same way I was being stared at coming to the house. Not thinking about it, I asked my parents, "Did you know that our backyard is infested with these things? They don't get that we are not food anymore?" Both of them looked at me with this conniving grin on their face and replied, "Yes, we know. We hired them to become one of us. You see, they are not regular people like you. You aren't even one of us, at all. Don't worry, though. You will be very soon. If you close your eyes, it'll be done sooner than you hope."

I screamed my lungs and heart out trying to leave or escape any way possible. I only forgot that we all boarded everything so good to the point that there is absolutely no way to get out unless we break out the boards. I had no way of thinking that this is really real. They both acted completely normal, which sucks. They looked at me like I was food to them, which I apparently was. I was worried about them more than me because they were my parents and I didn't know how I was going to survive anything that was going on. "I GUESS YOU JUST DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!! I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. YOU GUYS ARE SERIOUSLY SICK AND TWISTED. I THOUGHT I WAS YOUR FAMILY!!" They both looked at each other and then back at me. While turning their heads back to look at each other, all they can or could do was laugh in my face. It made me wonder why I wasn't like them when they had me in the first place. I guess, now I will never know.

They both were able to get these things to try and get whatever they needed or wanted. They were their actual pets and I was just the experiment. Never have to worry about taking care of me or seeing me again. Nothing and no one, to this day, knows what even happened after it went completely black. Everyone is now nowhere to be found or heard.

September 20, 2020 17:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

22:23 Sep 30, 2020

Isa, I liked your story. It was very intriguing. The ending I am trying to figure out, the parents were they actually pets or was, the daughter actually a pet? Or was the daughter, the parent's an experiment?

Reply

Isa Mendez
07:09 Oct 14, 2020

The daughter was an experiment for the parents pets. To see how they would react.

Reply

18:19 Oct 14, 2020

Ok, now I see. I love it when the story is a puzzle you figure out. : )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.