1 comment

General

THE LETTERS Mary Cahill Kurpiewski

You have been waiting for this day for almost a month now. Every time you hear a noise outside, like a truck or people talking or the leaves fluttering, you think it has arrived. When your son, Ronnie, 36, comes home from work and your son, Christian, 18, flies in the door from school, they always look at you hopefully.They are expecting that message, that news, that letter, that plan for their future.

You know each of them has a dream that will be answered with this anticipated delivery. Each of them has a distinct hope and dream--each far removed from one another. 

Ronnie is a big guy, 6’5”, 300 pounds. He is married to a great wife and they have three adorable kids. He works very hard to support all of them. Even though his job exhausts him, he is always quick to lend a hand at his church whenever they need him. He doesn’t drive but takes an hour each way on public transportation to get back and forth to his job every day. Facing layoffs within his company, he has been very stressed and not his usual ‘happy-go-lucky’ self and…’this break he has been waiting for has had him on edge for weeks!’

Christian, Ronnie’s youngest brother, is a brainy high school senior with lots of friends and a sporty car. He has many hobbies and loves sports and has been successful in every one he has tried. He is heading to college after his graduation. He’s a good kid and volunteers his help at various children’s organizations. He is very upbeat and humorous, but ‘... this break he has been waiting for has had him on edge for weeks!’

Needless to say, you love both of your sons and are as nervous as they are because you too have been trying your best to be optimistic  but ‘...this break they’ve been waiting for has had you on edge for weeks!’

Each of the guys look out for each other. They are loving brothers and only hope for the best. They are both strong in their Catholic upbringing and seem to be praying more often than 

usual. Ronnie even stops at church a few times a week to burn two candles to his friend, St. Anthony, with his fervent petitions.

The three of you seem to be meeting, more often, at the refrigerator at various times during the night. The impending news has you all eating more and sleeping less. Trying to avoid talking about the future, the three of you sit on the patio and watch the sun come up discussing the flowers in the garden and how the dog seems to be barking more often than usual.

Another week drags by and conversations with the mailman have increased. He knows how you are on edge waiting for him to be the bearer of good tidings. But he seems as disappointed as the boys when nothing tangible is in the air.

Finally, the two anticipated proclamations arrive the same day. The mailman even knocks on the door making you his first delivery of the day. He hands you the precious letters you are awaiting. You feel like hugging him, but restrain your glee. You are chomping at the bit to open them, but you sit and hold them tightly in your lap.

Christian arrives home first. He gives a little wave as he tosses his backpack on the chair. As usual, he goes to the kitchen and pours some juice. As he returns to the living room, he sits down beside you.  Seeing the letters, he almost spills his juice. He says, “Oh, my God, Mom, can I open it or should I wait for Ronnie? Since we have both been waiting, maybe we need to share our news, good or bad, together! What do you think?” As usual, both brothers always think of each other’s feelings. He ponders for a moment and then decides to wait an hour for his big brother.

Pacing the floor, stopping only to look out the window, Christian is nervous. The words in these two letters will change both of their lives--each in a different way, but nonetheless, there will be changes. 

After what seems like an eternity, but it’s less than an hour, Christian hears the dog announcing Ronnie’s arrival. The little brother almost knocks the big guy over at the front door all the while shouting, “They came!”

They have totally different reactions. Ronnie is nervous and sweating. Christian is giddy and jumping up and down. You tell them both to calm down and have a seat. You hand them each their precious letter all the while praying that the news inside is what each of them is waiting for and will be happy with. 

They mess around, nervously, each telling the other to open theirs first. Finally, they decide, after many scenarios, to give them to you to read out loud. Christian holds the two letters behind his back and tells you to “… pick a hand!” You are as shaky as they both are and fumble with the first letter you chose.

You start to read it to yourself and the tears roll down your cheeks. The boys are both hollering, “Come on, Mom, what’s it say?” As you regain your composure, you read aloud, “Dear Christian, we are happy to inform you that you have been chosen to receive an academic scholarship to Santa Clara University starting in September. Please contact us to begin the process for your matriculation!” 

After a lot of hooting, hollering, hugging and tears, they are back to the second letter. Christian, holding his precious letter in his hand, puts his arm around his big brother and says, “Ronnie, it’s your turn for good news!” Ronnie doesn’t look too happy, nervously rubbing his hands together. You open the letter and start to read, “Dear Ronald: We are pleased to offer you the position of night security at our Christian College Residence. Your references were impressive and we look forward to seeing you next week to discuss salary!”

Two simple envelopes, changing each of your son’s lives. One for a man who loves his wife and kids and wants the best for them but has a severe learning disability that has affected his reading and writing. And one for a man who has law school in his future. Both enormously happy for each other. Both are not disappointed with their long-awaited letters. 

June 26, 2020 18:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cyndy Reads
17:03 Jul 03, 2020

Hi! I received your story, "The Letters", for Critique Circle! :) I enjoyed how you kept us in suspense over the content of the letters! With two people in very different stages of life, I was interested in what could be coming in the mail for them that would make them so excited! The reveal was a good way to keep the reader engaged through the end. I'd say one thing that could be improved is a little clarity. I was confused when I realized Ronnie had a wife and kids but still lived at home with his mom- where are the wife and kids? D...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.