3 comments

Drama Romance

At 6:14 a.m. Fiona opened her dark brown eyes. She remained motionless, anticipating the nausea that plagued her every morning like clockwork and threatened to replace her daily alarm. It never came and her smile grew like slow moving molasses. She dwelt for a few moments in the peace that had eluded her for the past few weeks. 

Fiona tried to roll over and grimaced as she was impeded by her fiancé’s large bicep crushing her waist length dreadlocks. She gently massaged her scalp and turned fully onto her left side to take in Caleb. Being pinned down by his muscular frame in some way was as normal as breathing. He always seemed to want to crawl into her as though she was the missing part of his soul. 

She traced his features with her eyes: tanned skin, golden eyebrows and strong chin. It was almost as though her vision was a soft caress from her hand. With every inch of skin her eyes skimmed, his face twitched. His eyes slowly opened and as they met her gaze, she fell into his sky blue orbs once again.

Caleb blinked at her then grinned outright. “Good morning, bun.” 

Fiona laughed and allowed her hand to do what her eyes had already accomplished. The sight of her chocolate complexion on his much paler skin filled her with warmth as she trailed her fingers along his cheek. “When will you quit with that name?”

Caleb rescued her captive locs then dragged her across his chest with a loud yawn. “When you stop being so sweet.” He smirked. “Honeybun.”

She smacked his chest lightly and snuggled in as he drew her even closer. They lived in that cocoon of silence that’s warm and comforting between people who know and love each other deeply. After a few moments of quiet Caleb finally spoke. “So today’s the day.”

Without conscious thought, her fingernails dug into his arm. As he stroked her back and made soothing noises her tension released and her fingers followed suit. They unfurled like flowers reaching for the sun until they lay flat against his chest and measured the cadence of his heartbeat.

Caleb kissed her temple. “I’m sorry, bun. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

She looked up at him with a frown. “It is what it is.” With those words she extricated herself from his grip and sat up; dragged her scarf from her scalp and dropped it onto her pillow. She looked over her shoulder. “I can’t just sit around waiting the whole day. I feel pretty good this morning, so I’ll do some shopping.”

He propped himself up on the pillow and watched her every movement as she strolled into the adjoining bathroom and began her morning ritual. He shuddered as he thought back to the first time he had become intimately acquainted with the dangers of wetting a black woman’s hair. That shit was something serious, the phenomenon and aftermath worthy of setting new records on the Richter Scale.

Lost in thought, Caleb barely registered Fiona’s voice urging him to get up. “Babe, you’re dreaming. You’ll be late for work.”

Caleb stood and walked over to her; towered by a foot over her 5’3” frame. She stared up at him, hands akimbo, face impatient. He held her face between his palms and leaned his forehead down to hers. “I’m not going in today. I will be with you to do whatever you need.”

He forestalled her protests. “And when we find out, we find out together.” She sighed and wrapped her arms around him. Then smacked his bottom with a smirk as he jumped. “Get a move on, Fletcher. You ain’t never been shopping ‘til you shop with a woman for her wedding.” As she strode away, hips swaying, she yelped at the sharp pain that radiated from her own bottom. She stormed over to the bathroom and closed the door, slamming it with as much force as his hand had used to spank her.

Caleb chuckled then turned to make the bed. His amusement oozed out like a tyre with a slow leak when he spied Fiona’s head tie. He plopped down on her side of the bed and picked it up. He brought it to his face and inhaled as though he was trying to imprint her scent into his own DNA. His eyes closed as he abused the cloth between two tight, shaky fists. 

He took deep breaths and when his breathing had returned to normal, he slid the scarf under his own pillow. His expression changed to a light smile as he thought of Fiona’s reaction when it was time for bed that night and she couldn’t find her knight in shining fabric, ready to defend her scalp against fuzzing. 

~~~

Caleb hesitated at the door of the dress shop after ushering in Fiona before him. “Sweet Jesus, what was I thinking?” He muttered under his breath and prepped himself mentally for the inevitable train wreck.

A tall white woman with a purple Mohawk approached Fiona with a smile. She glanced over Fiona’s shoulder and eyed Caleb with a raised eyebrow before greeting Fiona warmly.

“Good morning, my dear. My name’s Peyton. How can I help you this morning?”

Fiona turned to observe him from over her shoulder. If not for Caleb’s eyes roaming to take in the sights, one would have thought he was a mannequin in the store. He stood like a statue in one position, arms crossed over his chest. Fiona snorted and turned back to Peyton. “Hi, I’m Fiona. Can you settle him somewhere before he expires? That would be a great help.”

Caleb scowled at her and tried for casual as he pushed his hands into his pockets. Still in the same spot. The women’s eyes met and they tittered at each other. Caleb swore under his breath and walked towards a row of grey couches along the wall opposite him.

Fiona and Peyton laughed outright. Caleb sat and his eyes promised retribution later as he eyed her from head to toe. He smirked when her humour vanished and she tried to look contrite before the attendant. He pulled out his cellphone and checked his emails, seemingly oblivious to the plethora of stares he was receiving from the female population in the store.

“I’m looking for a wedding dress,” Fiona told Peyton.

Peyton eyed her form with a critical, professional eye. “Any ideas on design?” 

Fiona shrugged. “Once my boobs don’t drop out and I don’t trip over the hem, I’m game.”

Peyton’s lips twitched. “Price limits?”

Fiona looked over at Caleb and he looked up with interest as though she had called his name. They stared at each other for a bit. Fiona murmured absentmindedly. “I’m not paying for it.” 

Peyton threw back her head and laughed. “Follow me, my dear. Let’s check out the new arrivals.”

While Fiona tried on outfit after outfit Caleb operated almost every app on his phone until he thought his eyes would cross. He checked the time: 10:36. Just a few more hours until…

“I’m ready, babe.” Fiona’s voice disturbed his musings.

Caleb’s gaze roved with great admiration over her denim, knee-length dress and tan sandals. Her hair was caught up in a huge bun and secured with a blue and khaki scarf. Caleb shook his head at how much his education had increased since dating Fiona...scarves for bed, scarves for cleaning, scarves for style. 

He chuckled as he stood before her and gathered her into his chest. “When will I see it?”

“When I come down the aisle.”

He snorted as he pulled out his credit card. Caleb’s eyebrows almost made love to his hairline when Peyton quoted the cost.

Fiona winced. “If it’s too much I can always…”

“No, bun. You deserve it. And you will get everything you ever wanted.”

Fiona stared at him then sighed. “Let’s hope that is true for all things.”

Their eyes met in shared understanding. Fiona made arrangements with Peyton for another fitting and adjustments. She bid her goodbye and turned to Caleb. “To the baker.” She ignored his groan and laughed all the way out through the door.

~~~

They sat at a round table with a pristine white tablecloth draped over it. Three cake samples sat on tiny saucers before them: red velvet, butter pecan and a rich rum cake. 

Caleb was busy polishing off the remainder of the rum cake, listening with only half an ear as Peter Flynn droned on about finishing touches and frosting. Caleb forked up another piece of cake and turned to Fiona with it. “You haven’t tried this one yet, bun.”

If she had his skin tone she would have turned green. Instead, her eyes nearly crossed as they watered and she put her hand to her mouth and rushed away to the washroom. 

Caleb’s eyes widened as he dropped the fork and dashed behind her. Fiona was leaning over the toilet, retching uncontrollably as she emptied her stomach of what few contents it possessed. The weight of her locs tumbled forward over her head with her movements, and Caleb barely managed to save them from taking that dreaded swim. He held back her hair and rubbed her back as she alternated between crying and puking.

Eventually, her stomach dry heaved and she collapsed against him as he took her to the floor and sat her on his lap. Fiona gripped his black button up shirt with desperate hands and did her best to expunge every bit of moisture from her body through her eyes.

“Oh God! I can’t do this again. I just can’t.” His heart fractured with her every word and he clutched her like a vise and fought without success, to keep a dry eye. Caleb rocked her gently and crooned nonsense words into her ear.

“Don’t worry, bun. I didn’t really like the rum cake that much either,” he deadpanned.

She drew back to stare at him then shook her head and chuckled. He laughed with her then drew her head back down to his chest. Fiona’s breathing evened out. Caleb kissed her temple. “How do you feel now?”

She snorted. “Like someone took a grater to my stomach, throat and nose.” She covered her mouth. “Gah! And my breath stinks.”

“Not so much my honeybun, I’ll tell you.”

“Oh hush.”

Caleb checked his watch: 12:10.

He sighed and drew her face from his chest to stare down at her. “It’s almost 2 o’clock, bun. We need to go.”

She gripped him with her nails, top lip trembling slightly as she nodded. “Do we need to bother? We both know…”

“We don’t. But we will soon. And we will deal with it together. Team Fletcher.”

Fiona’s eyes met his and amazingly, they found more water to spout. “Not quite. I may never be…”

He gripped her chin and flogged her last statement with the fierceness of his gaze. “If I need to drag you to court next week and marry you then you can bet your sweet self that I will do it. Now enough of this negativity.” He smacked her ass. “Get a move on.”

He helped her up and turned her to the sink. She washed out her mouth and patted her face with water. Fiona pulled a face at her reflection as she tilted her head left and right and then decided to leave her hair flowing down her back. Caleb grinned and pocketed her scarf. He loved her hair best like that.

Hand in hand they exited the bathroom and approached a hovering, nervous Peter Flynn. “Fiona, are you alright? What can I do to help?”

She murmured that she was fine and turned her face into Caleb’s chest in embarrassment. He looked down at their joined hands and back at Peter. “We’ll take a chocolate vanilla swirl cake. Vanilla icing, chocolate shit decorating it however you want. Anything else, we’ll call you.”

The two men shook hands and Caleb walked her out of the bakery and into his jeep. Fiona rested her head on his shoulder as he drove them to their final stop of the day.

~~~

Fiona jumped when the receptionist called her name. She and Caleb stood and with fingers interwoven like beautiful tapestry, they made their way through the long corridor. They took the familiar path and stopped before the last door on the left. Caleb raised their hands and kissed the back of hers before knocking lightly and opening the door.

“Fiona. Caleb. Nice to see you.” Dr. Kendricks’ deep voice rang out in the room and welcomed them in. He shook Caleb’s hand. Fiona was barely aware that his hand was still outstretched and she reached out and shook it with her own. He gestured to the two burgundy chairs opposite his desk and they sat in silence.

Dr. Kendricks looked up and the couple studied his face trying to glean information from his expression before he gave his findings. He took off his glasses, leaned back and sighed heavily. Fiona clutched Caleb’s forearm and fought to remain conscious.

“I have good news and bad news,” Dr. Kendricks stated. “Where should I begin?”

Fiona seemed to be in a daze so Caleb cleared his throat and responded. “The good news.”

The doctor smiled. 

~~~

That night Caleb lounged against the pillow and watched his favourite program: The Honeybun Show. Fiona leaned over the bathroom sink to moisturise her face and hair. 

She looked around and started pulling drawers and Caleb smirked. Those damned scarves. She left the bathroom empty-handed and with a frown. “Have you seen my head tie, babe?” Caleb laughed. “I’m sure it’s under your pillow.”

She walked to the bed and before she could lift the pillow she found herself flat on her back with Caleb looming over her. “My hair…”

“Will survive for a few minutes. I just need to hold you, bun.” Fiona relented and allowed him to grip her. His body soon shook as he finally released the tension and stress of the last few weeks. Caleb buried his face in her neck and left a waterfall running down to the pillow as he sobbed loudly in gratitude. Fiona stroked his head and kissed his face. “Oh Caleb. It’s gonna be fine. I’m okay.” 

“Yeah. But you heard the doctor’s fears. The radiation you went through might harm the baby,” he replied.

“God willing we’ll have a healthy third member of Team Fletcher early next year. We’ll work with the specialists Dr. Kendricks recommended and take it one day at a time,” she stated.

He nodded and dried his face; stared at her with red-rimmed eyes. “All this time waiting for results, thinking you were sick again; that the cancer had come back.” He lifted her shirt and blew raspberries on her tummy. “All the nausea and throwing up only to find out it’s a plague as old as time.”

He chuckled and reached under his own pillow for her scarf. Fiona swatted his arm. “You are so bad.” Her mouth fell open when he turned her back to him and tied on her scarf himself. He chucked her chin gently. “I pay attention. Time for bed, Fletcher. You’ve got a wedding to plan and a baby to grow.”

Fiona grinned and kissed his cheek then sprawled out in exhaustion. As usual, within minutes her body fell into a sleep that would take an explosion to rouse her from. He smirked. Better enjoy it now. 

Caleb turned over and rested a large palm over her stomach. He kissed it and sniggered. His honeybun was growing a bun and the next six months would be epic. He couldn't wait for tomorrow’s episode to begin.

July 11, 2020 00:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Veronica H.
22:37 Jul 15, 2020

This was a great twist! I liked that the male character was not afraid to show his emotions. "His honeybun was growing a bun" was a cute line.

Reply

Veronica H.
22:37 Jul 15, 2020

This story was emailed to me via the Critique Circle and I'm glad! Would you mind checking out mine for the contest?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Renee Padmore
14:44 Jul 16, 2020

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.