1 comment

Speculative

A/N: Before anything, I would like to say I'm sorry. Yes, this was super rushed like I got an idea this morning and writing in one day is something I really can't do. Halfway through, I realized I really, really can't write chasing scenes or thriller lol. I didn't have motivation to write it but did it for the sake of completing it. I don't really recommend reading this, I have better stuff up on my profile but sure. btw, it's kind of connected to both my newest web novel (on wattpad, will link if i feel like it some day) and OG character Bora. Like I've said before, I don't recommend reading this bru

“Seo-jun, no.” She rolled her eyes, still being dragged out of her home.

“Yes, we’re going to the mall whether you like it or not.” Seo-jun was having fun messing around with Minju.

-๑-

“What’s this trashy place though, oh my god.” Minju pulled up her hoodie.

Seo-jun furrowed her brows, “We’re here to cheer you up. By the way, It’s a new mall. They aren’t done making it yet, there's still some odds and bits here and there…” 

‘Odds and bits’ would be an understatement. There was a green curtain like clothing hanging from some walls, which were not painted yet. The lighting was pretty bad, and there were lots of planks of wood lying here and there. A few shops were open which were stormed by people.

“Be right back, I think there’s a sale in that shop…” 

Seo-jun would literally go to any lengths to buy things on sale. One of her many petty ways to save money.

Minju walked away and reached a cafe.

Maybe a coffee would be nice. She thought.

It was a crowded place, with barely any open seats.

“Can I sit here?” 

The man sitting on the sofa looked up from his phone, “Sure.” he shrugged.

Minju sat in front of him, keeping her phone on the table beside the cutely wrapped jewellery box, which probably belonged to the guy, examining the menu.

If she hadn’t looked up, she wouldn’t have even realised. His box and her phone were gone.

“My goodness, dude someone’s running with our stuff!” she waved at the guy, who looked up from his phone as a slow response. 

“There!” He alarmingly pointed.

Minju’s eyes trailed to where his finger was pointing, to a girl with both the valuables running.

They sprinted behind her inside the hollow rooms which might one day become a shop of blooming business.

Correction; it was just a fire exit with a large space.

Minju and the other guy rushed up the stairs, panting for breath in the dark lurky place. The staircase railing was too dirty to even look at, and there was a chance to trip any moment. Yet, the thief was too fast for them.

“Where do you think she went?” The man asked Minju, wiping off sweat from his forehead.

“No idea.” She sighed looking around the abandoned top floor, which didn’t look like it was worked on ever since the mall was made.

Both of the worn out people scanned the area for anything.

“There.” Minju immediately ran, pointing towards the slight movement in the opposite corner of the place. 

The guy followed her, avoiding all the wood on the floor, which Minju was unconsciously trampling on.

“Why are you so slow?!” She looked over her shoulder.

The guy was almost offended, “At least I’m not crushing this mall’s property?”

Then it happened. The girl shifted to another corner and her chasers were on the other side, and apparently the trashy lights just had to fall and obstruct their way.

The other girl leaned in, balancing on the railing, laughing and carelessly waving around the phone and the box.

“Now that I look carefully,” Minju squinted. “I think I know her.”

“Oh yeah, that girl who’s always in the staff room with the teacher for messing with things all the time.”

Minju stared at him for a while, both standing awkwardly agape. 

The tension broke as they sensed the girl running again. 

“Oh no, now what?!”

Minju stood there for a while, scanning the area.

“Yooo, you there?” The guy gestured at her.

She grabbed his hand and started running again.

“Why are we going in the opposite direction?!”

Minju didn’t answer. 

They went back down the staircase, coughing for air. 

“Can we take a break? I might die from all this running.”

But Minju wasn’t listening. She was too occupied with the plans running through her mind.

They reached the other fire exit, just in time. The girl had already gone down the stairs but wasn’t far away.

A man came up behind her. “Ugh, I told you to help out our parents with the shop, what are you doing here!” He glanced at Minju and the other guy with disgust in his eyes. They realised they were covered in dust from top to toe. 

“She stole our phone and jewellery. Please help us have it back before we report it to the police.” Minju brushed the dust off of her forehead.

The man stood shocked. It looked fake. His eyes were neutral.

“Alright, I’ll just… be right back.” With that, he walked away, glaring at the girl who looked somewhat relaxed.

He didn’t come back. The girl seemed to enjoy all of this.

Minju bored her eyes at her.

Everything was super still for a while. 

Minju wrapped her fingers around the guy’s arm, who was sitting beside her. He looked at her with concern.

Minju was still glaring at the girl.

“Jackpot.” She whispered, with a smirk.

The girl seemed to have noticed it.

The chase started again.

“Catch her, you idiot!” Minju screamed at the guy who was as startled as everybody staring at them.

The thief ran to the fire exit, but luckily the guy was faster.

Minju ran her hands through the girl’s jacket, producing a key out of it.

They both ran up the staircase, with Minju lagging behind.

She grabbed the guy’s hand, pointing at a shabby locker in the corner.

“Get some rest. You seem pretty tired…” The guy put his hand on her shoulder.

“Just open it already!” She talked back, still coughing.

Someone pushed her into falling on the locker face-flat.

It was the girl again. 

The guy helped Minju sit back, who looked like she would faint any moment. and opened the locker.

The phone and the box were there.

The elder man came back. “What the hell are you guys doing?!” He examined the area and pointed at the guy, “You!... I’m gonna report this to the police! What have you done to my sister?!”

The girl looked perfectly fine, though. It was Minju who was bleeding.

There was a dangerous silence between them. Everyone was too exhausted to even think.

Minju scoffed. “Don’t worry. I have proof against her.”

-๑-

“That was pretty genius of you. I was so occupied with the running I didn’t even check the place. And you found cameras.” The guy chuckled, dabbing a cotton cloth on Minju’s wound. “Do you mind giving me your number, by the way? We might even see each other at school.”

Minju crossed her legs, “Yeah, not really sure about meeting up but sure I’ll give you my number. I’m Minju, by the way.”

“Pretty name.”

They shared numbers and talked for a while.

The guy took out the jewellery box from his pocket, which was covered in a lot of dust from the locker.

“The pendant looks pretty.” Minju leaned in, gazing at the necklace in the box.

“I was afraid it didn’t. Now that you’ve said it, I think it would be a great gift.” He smiled at her. “Oh, I almost forgot to introduce myself. I’m Baek-”

“Pu-reum! What is wrong with you?! Why are you covered in… You know what, I won’t even ask!” A lady walked over to him, “Oh gosh, I was genuinely starting to get scared. Come on, we're already late for mom’s birthday party.”

“I bet she’ll like the gift.” Minju got up. “I better be going then, my friend must be worried for me. And I really need to wash up.”

“Who was that?” The lady asked.

“Just… someone.”

“Marry her, she looks rich.”

Pu-reum laughed, with his eyes still fixed on Minju.

A/N: very bad mad sad im gonna cry

March 18, 2022 17:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Philia S
10:35 Mar 23, 2022

“Marry her, she looks rich.” What she said. I agree. Idk why you crying over this, it's so good, lol- I could never write chase scenes this well. TvT

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.