The Transformation of Jane Travis

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about transformation.... view prompt

0 comments

General

The Transformation of Jane Travis

Suzanne Marsh

'What is life without beauty?' Jane Travis stared at her reflection in the mirror. She had resigned herself years ago to being 'Plain Jane'. She wasn't beautiful, as was her twin sister Jean. Jane assessed herself: she was to tall and gangly, Jean was petite, her hair was fire engine red, Jean was fair and blond, she had green almond shaped eyes, Jean had deep azure blue. Jane saw her red hair hanging limply on her shoulders, not even her hair was beautiful. She had thought about doing the deed and ending her life, but something inside her told her that was not the answer. Then she read a story about beauty, that it was only skin deep, she sighed, she would have settled for skin deep at this point.

Jane began to formulate a plan. She had five thousand dollars in the bank, that would be enough to start over somewhere, where no one knew her. Jean, could be the admired one, she always had been. She was twenty one, she wanted a life outside of Fate, Texas. She had no idea where she wanted to go, but thought New York City, New York sounded glamorous. Yes, she decided that was where she was going to go. She wrote a letter to her parents, then packed her suitcases. The next bus out of Fate, Texas would leave today at five o'clock in the evening, that gave her time to walk to the bus station, five miles away. Jane hated small town life. She left the note on the mantel addressed to her parents.

Ethel Travis arrived home at six o'clock, she noticed the envelope on the mantel, her husband Bill was just walking in the door. Ethel's hands trembled as she held the note, she handed it to Bill to read:

Dear Momma and Dad,

I am sorry but I have to leave. I want more from my life than living in small town Fate.

I will contact you when I get to where I am going.

Love,

Jane

Tears began to stream down Ethel's face, Bill held her trying to comfort her. Just then Jean walked in the door. Bill handed her the letter. The three of them dumbfounded.

The bus left Fate right on schedule. Three days later, Jane awoke to find herself at the Port Authority in New York City, New York. She was in awe of the building, you didn't see things like this in Fate, the bus terminal there was a small wooden shanty built back in the 1930's. She walked over to the counter and asked where the closest hotel was. The clerk told her two blocks down. She thanked him and left. Now that she was there, she needed to find a job but doing what? Then she saw a sign for Julliard School of Music. Jane had always been told she had a beautiful clear soprano voice. She decided to call the school in the morning. She was informed that auditions for the school were being held tomorrow afternoon. She asked about scholarships, yes if she was good enough. That night in the hotel room Jane, finally began to feel that maybe, just maybe she could make something of herself.

The follow afternoon Jane arrived at the Julliard School of Music. The woman she had spoken to yesterday told her to sing whatever she was most comfortable with. Jane decided to sing Tennessee Waltz, her favorite song of all time. Her name was called, she arose from the chair, gave her name date of birth and song. The panel waited as the orchestra began to play. Her voice warbled just a tad, the panel, sat there mesmerized by the feeling she put into the song. Several days later, an email arrived, instructing her where to go for a second audition. Jane began to feel as if she were about to accomplish something. The second audition she sang Crazy. The following day, the phone in her room at the hotel rang. Not only had she been accepted to Julliard School of Music but they were awarding her a four year scholarship.

The Julliard School of Music was where Jane had always wanted to be, now her dream was coming true. She had a roommate on campus, a willowy blond by the name of Georgia La Rue. Jane, at first wondered if Georgia was eying her up, the way she stared at her.

“It's the hair and clothes. We have got to get your hair styled, the glasses should be contacts,

most of all we have to work on you carriage, when you sing you have to stand up straight in

in order to make the best use of your diaphragm.”

Jane stared at Georgia as if she was from some other world, after all they had just been introduced about five minutes ago. However Jane smiled and thanked her for her advise.

Georgia, never one to leave well enough alone, grabbed Jane by the arm telling her that they were going to Macy's where she could get her hair styled and clothes that didn't look like hand me downs. Jane began to protest, but deep in her heart she knew that Georgia was trying to be helpful. They headed for Macy's, which encompasses two city blocks at least. Jane stood at the entrance and gawked at the sight of this huge store, it certainly was different from Fate. Georgia, dragged her in the door. First stop the hair salon. The beautician began to assess what she would have to do. She began by suggesting that Jane look at different styles, she needed a style to compliment her face. Two hours later Jane's outlook began to change, she felt pretty. Next Georgia took her to find more suitable clothing. An emerald green dress caught Georgia's eye. She held it up to Jane. Finally, they went to the Optometrist where Jane received her first contact lenses. Jane decided to return to Macy's to purchase some other essentials, like blue jeans and shirts.

Jane majored in singing, Broadway beckoned her. Her first lead was in Annie Get Your Gun. She began sending programs home to her parents. She asked them if they would like to come to New York City to see her perform. There was no reply. Jane began to rise in the world of show business, a rising star the tabloids called her.

She flew home to Fate, Texas, deciding it was time to visit. She rented a Corvette at the airport and drove the rest of the way. She rang the doorbell. Her mother answered the door. She wondered who this strange woman at her door was. Jane also took the liberty of changing the spelling of plain Jane to Jayne Travis. Her mother stood in awe as she realized that this was her Jane. Jane, gawky, clumsy Jane had turned from sows' ear into a silk purse.

May 29, 2020 14:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.