0 comments

Fiction Suspense Christian

I knew that I had to accept this unexpected invitation for dinner. I felt it like butterflies in my stomach and here I was now, the time had gone by so quickly since the invitation, to meet this special person whom I hardly knew and had never met before. I could only imagine what he might look like, but the real surprise was awaiting me, to see his face. The only thing I knew about him was his gentle, persuasive, and still small voice. He called me and said that he had something important to tell me and that he didn't have time to give me all the details but that I might trust him and know that there wasn't anything to be or feel afraid, suspicious, or concerned about, to come and meet him at the table. Before I could ask any questions he gave me the address of the restaurant and said, "Meet me there," then click, the phone call ended and I stood wondering where this had all come from.


I dabbed my favorite perfume on my wrists and behind my ears. I slanted the pink tam hat on my head till I saw sexy, and with as much confidence as I could muster up for a blind date, I grabbed my clutch purse and drove to the location of our meeting.


I felt nervous as my heart was throbbing in my throat. After I parked my car I sat for a few moments and took a few deep breaths. I checked with my rearview mirror for a perfect look and face and stepped out of my car only to turn around and see him standing there in front of me with a bright and smiling face that radiated such joy. I felt captivated by his ease of composure. His enthusiasm to meet with me felt loud. His energy invigorated me in uplifting ways like when you finally boarded the plane to your destination.


"Hello, my name is Joshua," he said while holding out his hand to shake mine. I returned the greeting and gesture likewise and introduced myself to him, "Hello, nice to meet you, my name is Jettah!" And with one grand swooping sway, he slightly bowed to the right, extended his arm for me to wrap my hand around and we walked side by side till we got to the door of the restaurant. I have to admit I couldn't stop giggling with delight because he acted like such a gentleman which of course I thought is rare to find.


His words sounded flirtatious and he sang, "Italian food, kiss, I love it, I hope you love it too! I wondered, "How did you know, it's my favorite too!"


Good Afternoon, he greeted the hostess, "We have a reservation for two at 2:00! Yes, she replied, I'll I take you to your table."


He moved my chair to accommodate my sitting down and then he sat down in his chair and for the first time we were sitting across from one another, facing each other and looking into one another's eyes.


I didn't know what to say and just waited till I felt comfortable enough to converse and share things about my life with him. He was quiet too and didn't say much or ask any questions for the first few minutes either. We just grinned or smiled and sat like wobbly jelly in our chairs and then the waitress came with the menus and set them before us. "Can I get you anything to drink," she asked and we both agreed on a bottle of their best red wine!


As he poured the wine into our glasses, I thought about how he might start the conversation, for instance with, “You look beautiful!” Instead, he asked me a strange question, he asked, “Do you know me?” My inquiring mind searched for reasoning, and my first answer to myself was, “No,” and my second answer was, “Yes,” and then I answered him and said, “No and Yes!”


With all earnestness, he spoke then and said, “I understand that my question may have caused you to feel uncomfortable, but I wanted you to be aware of my presence!” 


I wondered, “What could this possibly mean?” I felt awkward and puzzled, even as I could not help but gaze at him and notice his presence more than the want I usually have for any kind of instant gratification towards fulfilling my self-conscious desire for the usual feminine flattery that immediately validates and elevates a woman’s self-esteem and worth around a man or may also cause her to get up and run. I sat still, and the more I looked upon him, the quieter, relaxed, and peaceful I became.


He chuckled, and his eyes lit up and then I knew that he was just wanting to keep things light between us.


The waitress returned and we ordered a large pizza. Then he asked a second strange question, "Tell me how you know me?" I repeated the question to myself, "Tell me how you know me?" It wasn't like I knew how to answer that, but as I began to reflect since the beginning when I first heard his voice over the phone and all the kind, considerate ways that he has acted I drew on his character reference for my answer.


That's correct, He replied! Now, at this point, any woman might have thought he is vain or conceited, but he truly acted like a genuine and honest man. And, this is how I have gotten to know him.


His third question came as bluntly as his first two. Do you remember me? The more I thought about him and the memories I have gathered since our meeting, I could easily reply, "Yes, I remember you!" It seemed so peculiar to begin a new relationship with somebody that wanted to be known and remembered. How could anybody that has a great character be forgotten?


I guess that is the problem with many relationship attempts. They are limited to flattery and the need for validation and immediate gratification. Ultimately, I do not think that anybody can entirely and completely satisfy another human being's needs, wants, and wishes but it sure is a nice feeling to know who your friends are when your ego is down.


The only way that I could possibly discern and know that somebody is genuine is when they actually act in true and genuine ways.


Maybe I needed a new and better kind of experience seeing as I have had many heartbreaks. My heart had turned from putty to rubber from all the letdowns I endured.


The waitress came with our sizzling hot pizza and set the pan between us. "Enjoy," she spouted out cheerfully before she left to serve her other customers. Mmmmm...this looks and smells good! Joshua urged me to pull off the first piece of pizza. "I love this sticky elastic cheese," he said and opened his mouth wide to take his first bite. We ate to our heart's content. As Joshua poured us more wine, it was his burp that got me laughing hard! It sounded like a volcano erupting and he blushed with slight embarassment.


"Ask me anything, Jettah and I will give it to you!" I wondered, what is this supposed to mean? "Ask me anything and I will give it to you? I asked him if it can it be real or imaginary. He replied, "Either is fine!" I asked for his hand in marriage, because I wanted to imagine that he was my future husband and dream come true!" Then he responded and said, "Yes, I will be your husband and dream come true!


I laughed! Spending time with Joshua was inspiring and helped me to trust in my own personal beliefs and values about true love again. I am a romantic at heart and I like intimate and close ties with people. He seemed to support me in these ways that other men have not wanted to go near. I like the idea that all things are possible when you believe, even if the world may be filled with people who lie, deceive, trick and, betray, I choose to dream about things that are honest, true, lovely and, pure.


























June 29, 2021 10:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.