0 comments

Fiction Horror Mystery

    POPULATION TWO

    (A Short Story)


It was a beautiful, sultry, and sunny day. Loveda had received a phone call from Rhoda, a high school colleague. Rhoda had moved several months ago and had been inviting Loveda and her sister Renee, to her new home. A wave of nostalgia swept over them as they continue to laugh and talk about the daunting experiences that they had encountered with Rhoda.


Loveda was short about 5' 2 tall, petite, coy, and very attractive and long black hair. Renee was tall, slim, sort of outgoing type, and very attractive also long black hair. Rhoda was very tall about 5'9 almost 6 feet tall. Rhoda was built like an hour glass, a very beautiful shape, but her hair was black, and shoulder length. She had always felt self-conscious about her height to be a woman


Well, finally, they decided to give Rhoda a surprise visit. Loveda recalled Rhoda’s address 3949 Maplewood Street, a black and white house with the right shutters hanging down from the window.


They prepared themselves for the little journey to Rhoda’s house. Renee’s husband Bob pulled up in a 1986 light green Buick Regal. They both got in the car and as they drove along; everyone seems to be in a blithe joking mood. They were still reminiscing about the good times they had with Rhoda. Oh they were so happy to see Rhoda again!


After driving roughly about 15 minutes, they crossed a huge green bridge over 600 feet in length. They noticed a sign to the right on the billboard that read, “If I were you, I would turn around right now.” Just below the sign was another sign that was faded in writing as if someone changed it and it read, “Population two.” They all thought that it was peculiar and began joking about it. Just about a mile away, there was another sign that read, “Once you get in, you won’t get out.” Bob and Renee laughed about it, but Loveda did not find it funny at all. In fact, she became intimidated and insisted that it will be best to turn around and go back home. But Bob and Renee assured her it was probably just some teenage prank.


Suddenly, they came upon a narrow long tunnel leading directly to Rhoda’s Street, Maplewood. How strange that was! The neighborhood looked run-down, deserted, and desolate. It was unusually quiet like a--cold dead silent; and not a soul was in sight. Not even a bird in the sky. Even the air smelled corroded and stuffy. There were few houses on the block scattered apart from each other. There were two dogs lying in the yard across the street. One was black, and the other was brown and shaggy looking.  


They found Rhoda’s house 3949 Maplewood with the right shutters hanging down from the window just as Rhoda had told them. Bob decided to stay in the car for a minute because he was fumbling with the radio. He promised he would come in after he fixed his radio. So, Loveda and Renee both got out of the car. 


 Loveda was feeling very edgy about this whole scenario. Immediately, she felt an ache in the pit of her stomach alarming her that something was wrong. There was also a primitive warning sounded in the back of her mind, that something was uncanny and weird. They both walked toward the house. They happened to see curtains move on the left window. That assured them that it was someone home.  


But then, they noticed a Caucasian man peeping out the window at them. They were wondering what was he doing in Rhoda’s house. But Renee assumed it must be an explanation for all of this. So, they both walked up the stairs, and they noticed in the right window, another Caucasian man was peeping out at them. Just as they were about to knock on the door, it opens. There was the first guy they had seen earlier peeping out at them. He was short, fat, frumpy looking, and had a bald spot in the middle of his head. The other guy also came to the door. He was tall, and lanky, short haircut, and had a big nose. 


Renee asked them did Rhoda live there. They slowly looked at each other, then they said, oh yeah, she went to the store. She will be right back. They invited them in to wait for Rhoda to get back from the store. They noticed that the living room was small, neat, and tidy. The two men seem strange. They kept saying to the girls, ooh, you girls look so good and we are so hungry. You guys came just in time for dinner. They gave Loveda and Renee a cold… look as if they were looking through them.  


At that moment, Loveda backed away from them feeling very uneasy. She did not like that dark, cold look in their eyes. But Renee not paying any attention, despite the fact that she has always been obtuse and naive.


Renee asked them what was for dinner. They both replied, Bar-B-Q. She asked what type of meat, is it—chicken, beef, or pork. The tall guy his name was Jim said, “Oh just legs, thighs, breasts, ribs, and arms.  

Arms? ……feeling terrified! Loveda jumped at the thought of when he said… arms? 


She thought to herself, ‘How could a person make a mistake saying such a horrible thing that was totally unusual!’ Or, maybe he’s just trying to be funny (giving him the benefit of the doubt). The short frumpy man, his name was Fred; nudged Jim (insinuating Jim to be quiet) with a roguish smile not to give it away. Then, Fred sneered (like in an embarrassing manner) hoping that the girls weren’t on to him, trying to turn on a new leaf so to speak. "Oh, he means wings, not arms silly," said Fred. He nudged Jim with his elbow once again. 


But Loveda stood rigid struck with fear! Her stomach contracted into a tight ball. She did not know exactly what was going on, but it certainly was not pleasant. She knew something was terribly wrong. She thought to herself, ‘Maybe these guys will kill us. --oh my cannibalism!’ But she dared not to bear that horrible thought in mind. She was disturbed about why are these guys in Rhoda’s house and where is Rhoda and her children?”


Renee just kept chit-chatting about Rhoda and wondering why were these men there in Rhoda’s house. Who were they to Rhoda? But Fred changed the subject and kept saying, “Ooh you girls look so good, yall look so good, and I’m so hungry.” Then they both kept licking their lips and rubbing their hands together gazing at the 

girls. 


Renee still not paying attention asked them what else they were having with the bar-b-q. They both said we will find something. Jim told Fred that they need to go out back to get the grill going. At that moment, Loveda quivered in a subtle, suave sort of manner, with her eyes flicking back and forth, hoping that Renee would realize something was wrong. Loveda walked slowly in a hesitant manner, saying, Well I think we better go now; it’s getting late. I have something to do. Let’s go, Renee. Conversely, Renee refuses to go. Instead, she tells Loveda to sit down and relax, and stop worrying so much; and that she wants to see Rhoda first, and besides we are invited to dinner. 


Loveda felt very nervous and anxious ever since they got there, but she decided to remain standing.  Loveda overheard the two men talking as they came back in from outside. One of the men, Fred, whispered to Jim saying, “That other lady, Loveda is suspicious of us man. I think she’s on to us. Let’s get them right now!” Jim ordered him to be quiet.


So, they made it back into the living room and they said to the girls, “Dinner will be ready soon.” They had their hands behind their back as if they were hiding something. Renee responds, “Oh good I am so hungry. They both responded, “We are hungry too and we have not eaten for two days. Now since you girls are here, we can eat now.” 


At that moment, Loveda stood rigid with terror and was too overwhelmed to move. She could feel her blood rushing through her veins ever so clearly, and a rush feeling of blood cascading down to her feet. There was a sickening wave of terror welling up from her belly as she struggled to control her quivering. Her heart was thumping so hard, you could see her blouse just pulsating up and down. 


Finally, she walked away from them, quivering and shaking with fear. She stood close to the wall trying to ease to the door. She tried to act as normal as she possibly could. But her wary expressions exposed her that she was on to them.


Still in the dark about what’s happening? Renee asked them again; what type of meat did you say we’re having? Fred responds to Loveda saying, in a laughing manner, “Your sister is not so bright, isn’t she.” Jim with a cold look in his eyes walked up to Renee, and said, “Human meat, you fool! Human meat… are what we are having for dinner.” You guys are for dinner. Then his sardonic laugh caused Renee to step away from him.


Renee could not believe what she heard! She stood struck with terror in an unbelievable period of moment. Her eyes took on a haunted look, bulging from the socket. Then she slowly backed away from Jim trying to head for the door. Loveda ran behind her. 


Both girls screamed and fought for their lives. Bob knocks hysterically on the door wondering what was going on. The girls kicked the door screaming for Bob to help them. Bob quickly kicks the door in and found the two men; one with a chainsaw and the other had a huge long sword.

Bob comes in to rescue the girls and Jim comes after him with a chainsaw. He tells Bob, “I am going to chop off your head” first and then we are going to eat ya”. Then he laughs hysterically.


Somehow Bob kicks the chainsaw out of Jim’s hand. Then Fred comes after Bob with the sword. Loveda kicked Fred in his lower leg from behind knocking him to the floor. Fred drops the chainsaw, Bob picks up the chainsaw, and he ordered the girls to quickly run out to the car and start it up. 


Then Bob uses the chainsaw as Jim comes at him with the sword. Bob cuts the sword in two with the chainsaw. Both men made a run toward the back door and out of the house. Then, Bob runs and jumps into the car and they take off fast as lightning. 


Sadly, though, they now know what happened to poor Rhoda and her kids. They kept on going and never looked back.

I woke up, it was a dream.


          ……         THE END



PEACHFLOWER TRADEMARK 




July 24, 2024 19:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.