0 comments

Mystery

She walking back up into the woods after across the lake. She standing right there, staring at the lake, and said ‘thakyou for brought me back into my past’ and then she return slowly to her home.

“Holly, bring me that honey, please!” her mom call

“i’m coming”

Jane and her child are famous as a herbal medicine and candy maker in their smalling village, who didn’t have a hectic activities, and doesn’t have a lot of populations. They didn’t knows their leaders or the government who will protect and guarantee the safety of their people. All they know is that this village is their only home to continue their own life. However, sometimes there are an immigrants comes who stay overnight, do research, or build a secret base in this village. This village is no longer suitable for a vacation spot.

Tomorrow, Holly should get back to the lake for fishing and bring the water home. The lake is located in the north, and it’s about twenty feet from her treehouse. When Holly has arrived in the treehouse, she is very surprise and confuse, because she didn’t see the lake.

“What?! Where is the lakee??” she is very surprise

“I can’t back to the house without fish oil and the water”

She immediately ran towards the lake, but she can’t find it.

Holly can’t tell her mom about the lake, because she has a heart disease. While the fish oil they get must be processed into suplements, which will be taken by the buyer tomorrow morning. Finally, amid her confusion, Holly decided to walk around the forest, no matter how far away it was. The important thing is, she can find the lake.

She has walking about one hour, and find nothing. Holly get a rest in the big tree that was very shady. After a few minutes, she realize that is a biggest tree that she found over 14 years of her life. Holly was very amazed, and starting attention the tree in every details.

On the other side of the tree, Holly found a small circle like a button. And not far from that circle carve, she found a small square like a door. She thought that who was someone who might carve on this tree, with this beautiful carving. All of her life, she never met someone else except their costumers.

The wind blows hard. In her attention, there is a crow standing in the branch, and looking at holly. The sound of birds chirping since earlier, suddenly stopped, and then, the forest is very quiet.

Holly who stay focus on her attention of the tree is realized, and wake up from her position. She starring the tree, and looking around the woods. She seeing that crow.

In holly's gaze at the crow, a sound like a building construction came from under the tree. The crow also hear that sound, and fly away. Holly began to feel strange. She feel something wrong here. In this tree, or this forest, she doesn’t even know. She looking for the sound construction, and bend down under the tree, pointing her ear to the ground.

Holly is very surprise. She know what she heard. That’s really the building construction. She began to think looking for about that sound, but, she still have to find the lake for fish oil, and get the money. Holly standing there and think.

Not far from there, there was the sound of someone walking towards holly. Holly hearing, run and hiding behind other trees.

There is a big man, with boots, black hats, small bag, and small knife in his waist. He looks like an adventure men, or a kind of jungle explorer. Holly stay in her hiding, and slowly step away. But suddenly, wuussshh!

BRUUKKK!!

Holly slipped into the cliff which she realized that there was actually no cliff near that big tree. She seeing the man starring at her, and then, everything is dark.

-------******-------

The day almost get dark. Jane calling Holly in several times, but nothing answer.

She began to feel worried about her daughter.

Jane starting out the house, and walking toward the treehouse.

Holly always go to the lake and through the forest in the early morning, every day. Before arriving in the lake, she must go to the tree house first to get her things, and back home at 10 am. After lunch, she usually get back to the woods, to pick some fruits or flowers, and bring it into the treehouse. She just stay there until the sky starts to get dark, or her mom will call.

Arriving in the treehouse, Holly wasn’t there. Like her girl, Jane didn’t see the lake too. She thought, maybe because it was getting dark, the lake would be invisible.  However, she feel scary and worry about her daughter. The day was dark. She still can’t find her girl. Jane thought maybe Holly already arrive at home. So, she come back home.

Jane very surprise, because she meet a big man – jungle explorer, carrying Holly on his shoulder, in front of the house.

“Hello, madam. I am Bryan. I just an immigrants, who have meet your daughter in the lake this afternoon”

Jane still suspicious answered “ohh, I have been looking for holly everywhere. Did she fall asleep in the lake?”

Bryan laughed lightly “yeah. She felt very tired after fishing along time”

“Here you are our catch today, eight big cod fish”

“wow, usually she only gets 3 fish”  Jane began a little bit calm down, after seeing their catch.

“wanna drink a cup of tea?” Jane offering

“No, thank you. I have to go now” bryan refused

“Alright. Thank you so much for bring my daughter home, and the cod fish”

Bryan smiling and said “youre welcome madam”

He prepared to leave their home. But, Jane call

“Bryan!”

“yes, madam?”

“How did u know my house?”

“Holly said, your house didn’t far from treehouse. I thought, nothing treehouse in this woods except yours. So, i found it”

“Hmm, alright take care” said Jane.

-------******-------

The next morning, Holly hearing her mom talking with madam Joyce. She is a costumer of suplemen that made by cod liver oil that she was supposed to catch yesterday.

She wake up and jump  “this is my room? how did i get here”

“am i dreaming??”

“No, that is real. I know what i saw!!!”

“The lake...”

Holly still think very hard

“The big tree, the crow, the door, the button, the cliff??? when was there a cliff??!!”

“Ohmy god, that man!!!”

“AND THE LAKEE? Where is the lakee?”

She run out the house toward the lake with her pajamas.

and the lake still missing.

July 21, 2020 16:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.