20 comments

Fiction Speculative Contemporary

The Farne Islands are black places. Most places in the North Sea are. From their black cliffs a small fishing boat travels precariously between the rocks in the local harbour to Inner Farne on the near horizon. Around the boat, little black specs tornado in unison, their wings silhouetted against a thick sky.


The boat eventually finds it’s mooring and a woman comes into view, her long blond plait falls from under two hats pulled low to her face. A seal breaks the water to watch the newcomer, buoyed in the angry water like it’s riding a wave machine at a kid’s amusement park. They lock eyes for a moment and the seal gets bored.


The woman empties the boat carefully of food rations and equipment, though obviously not enough for a long stay. She stops and looks longingly at the boat for a moment, leaving a box of wires and a phone still in the dingy. Without hesitation she unwraps the rope keeping the boat moored and sets it free unpiloted. The sea takes it slowly at first, as if checking she means to let it go on purpose. The rope slips away and her only way of escape disappears quickly and vanishes to the black. The seal reappears looking visibly confused.


Her job to be done is simple but important. Bird flu ripped through the local population on the small island, meaning no puffin, shag, turn or razorbill was safe. They had no respite from the disease, no technology to turn to for help. She felt she owed it to them; an exchange for her life where money could, and had, bought an easy life.


The wind on the Island grabs jealously she walks up to the tower at the top of the black cliff edge. She’s never been inside but has seen the tower many times from the shore, it’s weather worn stones have seen Vikings, Christians, chavs, but yet it remains just so. Her hands begin to unpack rations whilst her mind is still with Max and Alex and Nicky in the city. Home comforts were gone; no cashmere, no Instagram. Only sheepskin rugs from the Northumberland mainland offer any respite; the smell of salt and smoke holds deep into the woven tapestry of the place.


On one side of the room sits a desk, it’s screens and monitors and radios cast an unnatural blue hue over the ancient stonework. At it’s side lays what appears to be two sunbeds from circa 1994. They wait with their silvery lids open wide, invitingly clean and ready for use. Where a head would go protrudes a large metal probe, along with a selection of other needles and cables which attach messily to the desk close by.


She rubs the back of her head. A screwed metal disc aches at the curve of her skull, not used to the severe North Sea cold. As if in response, all the metal plug points on her body itch in unison. Never again will this body be plugged in to charge, to repair, to reset. She shuts the lids on the life support machines so as not to tempt her. The wind rages but she takes the opportunity to begin her daily tasks. Outside the front door to the tower a sign reads ‘ONLY STEP ON THE BOARD WALK, CHECK FOR CHICKS’ and she imagines someone shouting it in her face.


It is a black place as they said it was. Everything is hard. The rock, the water, the wind. It hurts. But this is what she wants, to repent for a life led with too much good fortune. She walks from one end of the small island to the other. Puffins come and go, their beaks filled with sand eels. Silver scales catch the sun which furiously tries to push through the heavy cloud. Against the patchwork of lichen and heather they flash their red beaks to each other like morse code.


She still feels sick from the journey. In normal circumstances she would have changed bodies long before the sickness kicked in. It would have simply been put on charge until the system calmed down, she had plenty of spares at home. Her stomach sends out a stabbing pain in response. She ponders what people must have done hundreds of years ago when the tower was built; they must have had some medicinal remedies otherwise the whole population would have been wiped out.


After a week on the island, the chores are second nature. Today she counts the puffin burrows to monitor this year’s breeding pairs. The work is manual but not too taxing for a fairly new body of which she is glad she still has. The sick feeling remains and hums deep in her body. Before she gets back to the tower for the evening she doubles over and vomits into the wind. Orange lumps fly out over the black cliffs, illuminated against an angry sky.


She had never known anyone to be sick, no one had, not since the turn of the century when people still had to endure the frail bodies they were born with. They were taught this stuff in school, how disease was rampant back then but it became irrelevant when technology and Mindscaping were invented. With the ability to move your mind freely from one body to the next, the need to cure disease vanished, modern medicinal products were literally never created. You just discarded the sick like a Primark jumper gone wrong in the wash.


She remembered the first exotic body she was bought as a youngster. She had decided on an overnight whim to become a ballerina, so her parents had shipped a model in from Russia. It was exquisite, it's porcelain skin was almost see though and bent in ways her other bodies could never manage. Unfortunately, it's feet got mangled and was quickly donated to a family in another town, no point in fixing.


A storm rolls in from the North Sea and the sky quickly changes colour. She knows the drill and quickly pulls the few items gathered outside into the tower and bolts the main door. The kettle wines against the howl outside. She finds her mind slipping in the dark, taking her across the water to Max and Alex and Nicky. She cannot remember how old they are, she can barely remember how old she is, but she imagines them at home, drinking expensive wine and eating cheese. Nicky has a svelte body which she only uses on such occasions. The wine goes too quickly though, and she will sneak off mid evening to change models whilst the first has it’s stomach pumped from the alcohol poisoning.


The storm outside continues to rage, dark and unruly. Mindscaping meant no one had any repercussions to anything. Sometimes Alex would fight his brother and they’d end up needing new bodies three times a week, hurting her pocket but nothing more. It was a hollow life. Built on an ease that comes only through no hard work, no effort, no strife. They would stay young forever, never experience the pain of loss, of suffering, of heartache. She closes her eyes and sleep takes her, eyes glued together by salt.


On day 22 she wakes and washes. Her skin is starting to visibly grey but her mind is clearing. She begins another day of counting burrows. A puffin couple closest to the front door of the tower have been named Victoria and Albert, yet she tries to not get attached. Last week she found a puffin chick dead outside it’s burrow and spent the entire day crafting a burial for him as the wind whipped at her face not allowing any tears. As she read the sermon to the sea, a family of puffins perched on the lighthouse wall in silent prayer.


She walks back having found eight burrows empty when they weren't the day before and falls through the board walk that needs repairing. Her ankle looks wrong and she screams into the wind as pain moves up her leg. She crouches down and lets her body crumple into the acute feeling. Once, her and her friends had snuck into her father's study to try on his models. She slipped into one he had used when he was in the army a long time ago. It was like eating power. Everything moved so easily, it had so much inbuilt skill it scared her. Her ankle bites back in retort.


Every day she cries. Everyday something dies. It is an emotional battle filled with more highs and lows than she’s cumulatively felt in her long existance. Every day she closes her eyes at night, exhausted by the mental effort of living this somewhat simple life. She begins to acknowledge that the island is black, but the kind of black that is deep and never ending and alive.


On day 31 Victoria and Albert's chicks fledge. She watches them from the doorstep of the tower and cries loudly. Her pride for them fills the island. Across thousands of miles, across land and sea and everything in between, these birds find each other every year and will do for their entire lives. Every year they continue to fight for each other, no matter the pain.


Her body is slower now as she bends with difficulty to check the burrows across the island. She knew this body had cancer. She had come to the logical end of the road with it and with the shallow life she’d lived until these sweet moments.


Out to the deep depths of the North Sea a white sailing ship peaks through the distant horizon, bathed in what seems like warm light from above. A few seconds later the moment is gone. She smiles.


After a time, she walks back to the tower and puts the kettle on to boil. She closes her eyes.

March 26, 2024 21:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Kristi Gott
15:08 Apr 03, 2024

This is very engaging and compelling right from the start. The unique island is a character itself with personality. So many questions arise in the reader's mind. I had to keep reading. Very thought provoking. Skillfully written, incredible imagery. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
10:04 Apr 02, 2024

I guessed that was about the medicine not needed because the mind shifting. Scarry future. Like originality. Felted sadness. Like it a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Robert Egan
02:38 Apr 01, 2024

Great story! The miracle (and curse) of mindscaping shaped the main character's motivation while helping us see our more limited lifespans in a new light. What meaning does life have when it's not shaped by death? This is good sci-fi, and the beautiful descriptions of the Farne Islands made it even more so.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Diana Jo Filip
22:17 Mar 31, 2024

Robinson Crusoe's other narrative voice. Loved the details of the slowing-down life!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
11:22 Mar 31, 2024

I love so much about this story: the exposition and imagery with the birds in particular. If it were me, I'd rewrite this without the requirement of submitting to Reedsy. There is a beautiful, haunting story here but I think it will land better if it isn't dystopian. The struggle your MC is facing, her artificially extended life compared to the mortality of those she lost and the birds around her, will strengthen I think without the distraction of the futuristic world. Dig into those memories of the Farne islands that I think you have and pe...

Reply

Claire Trbovic
13:54 Mar 31, 2024

Thanks so much Rebecca, massively appreciate your suggestions and the time taken to give feedback, I agree I feel the piece has potential so definitely worth a rewrite. So good to know how much an editor has helped you, I’d actually be really interested to get your thoughts on the process / who you’ve used etc. My email is on my profile if you feel comfortable sharing any more details. I’ve got a very early draft of a novel I’m working on and thinking Reedsy might be diverting my attention a bit so trying to figure out if I should put more...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bruce Callahan
02:23 Mar 31, 2024

A fourth it's, should be its, its burrow. Possession not conjunction, it's for it is. Lovely story and a little scary to be able discard a body like it was nothing, disposable. Love the juxtaposition of her dying body against the puffins starting their lives. The island is a character all on its own. Wonderfully written, great descriptions, could feel like I was there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bruce Callahan
02:12 Mar 31, 2024

Three it's should be its.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mazie Maris
17:38 Mar 30, 2024

Claire, this is such a beautifully written story! The imagery is so clear, and the concept is thought-provoking and emotional. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
21:47 Mar 29, 2024

Stunning. Beautifully told. Unique and one of a kind with the setting and concepts. I love the originality and it makes me pause and reflect.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Kimball
02:03 Mar 29, 2024

Hi Claire, I love how you have juxtaposed the somber mood, the birds, with the frank description of the narrator, making the body changing and the cancer seem real. Great job. Reminding me of Ursula K. Le Guin. If you don’t know her, you should in my view, sci fi, spec. Favorite lines: ‘…It is a black place as they said it was. Everything is hard. The rock, the water, the wind. It hurts. But this is what she wants, to repent for a life led with too much good fortune.’ ‘… Their happiness was hollow. They would stay young forever, never exp...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kerriann Murray
01:34 Mar 29, 2024

Beautifully done, Claire!

Reply

Show 0 replies
D H
20:15 Mar 28, 2024

Great story, and an amazing ending. Very detailed and beautifully written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
20:39 Mar 27, 2024

Yes, I see it now. Subtle, but gets the message across Primitive or primative? :-)

Reply

Claire Trbovic
20:45 Mar 27, 2024

At this point I’m not sure 😂 thank you again and goodness it’s nearly Easter break!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:18 Mar 27, 2024

From that comment you either are in school/college/uni or teach. Which is it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:50 Mar 27, 2024

Claire it's a great story. I could clearly see the island, the woman the birds. the monotony of her last month or so. I understand your premise of changing bodies. But I'm afraid I need your help. What historic invention did not happen?

Reply

Claire Trbovic
20:01 Mar 27, 2024

Thanks so much Trudy, i've been mulling parts of the story over and really glad for your comment because i expected it might need some explaining! The idea is that medicine was never invented, because technology took over, so basically if bodies were disposible you would have no need for medicine to fix them. I've made some edits today so hoping its a bit more obvious, but might still need some work and pondering before Friday :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:08 Mar 27, 2024

Claire, my goodness ! With every story, you solidify why you're one of my favourite Reedsy writers. Such beautiful, effective sensory detail and imagery. You captured the desolation of the environment so well. The flow was splendid too. Absolutely brilliant, as usual !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
00:50 Mar 27, 2024

A new creation. You create beautifully even if it is sad.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.