Oh, those seconds...

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Happy Teens & Young Adult

Ten seconds.

A little but again a lot.

I like to appreciate every day, hour, minute and even second of my life. I know I'm crazy, I pay attention to every piece of my life and I try not to forget it. I am frightened by the fact that one day I will no longer step on this ground, that I will no longer see the color that changes in the sky or sense the sharp smell from the abandoned house at the end of the street.

I can't tell you exactly how I experience this wonderful world, but I will try ...

Our days are permeated with various thoughts, events and feelings ... But ... How many of us actually experience them? Have you ever noticed your gray-haired neighbor who lives upstairs above you and her clothes always smell like mint? Is she happy when she greets you? Can you still see the dimples on her cheeks despite her old and baggy skin? Did you see the oil stain on her dress?

No?...

 It won’t take you long to make this observation but you can surely figure out a lot. You saw that "something" in a different light.

So much happens in one minute, in a few seconds, not to mention how many things happen in a year - believe me, sometimes the thought of it makes me dizzy.

In ten seconds ...

... He looked at you. Your palms are starting to sweat, they are not even sure what is happening to them, so they get nervous. The brain sends very strange information to your body. The look lengthened. Hormones make a party, instead of you controlling them - they control you. Your sandwich loses its flavor, even that function stopped for a second. The look lasts a few more seconds. That's it, you're going to do something. You want to talk - words don't come out. And if they do come out, the dictionary in your head no longer listens to you, he makes up new words and tangles your tongue that is extremely struggling with saying some clever sentences. Instead of saying hello you will say good night, instead of how are you?, you will ask him what time it is (although you may need that answer, considering that time and space are becoming an unknown term for you at that moment). And then he passed you. You both feel something, it was definitely felt, or only you felt it, but you fully surrendered to the moment totally unaware of all those actions that took place in just ten seconds.

In ten seconds ...

... The father was sitting opposite the mother. And between them, their daughter took her first steps. Oh, the joy! From the side, her older brother loudly approved his surprise, her mother’s tears slid down her cheek and her father made a smile from one ear to the other. The baby walked from mom’s arms to dad’s with a cheerful footstep. Was she aware that she had just done something surprising in someone else’s eyes? Did she felt like a man who took the first step on the moon?

Don't even ask me how I experience the holidays ... So many sounds, colors, smells ... And I don't mean just the smell of gingerbread cookies, the sound of crackling fire and soft Christmas melodies. For me, in my head, there are many other things that take me out of reality, at least for those ten seconds. Wax melting all the way down the candle at the table while the bow on it shines of its flame. The rustling of gift wrap from the presents while my dog ​​sniffs what those colorful mysteries are hiding. Bells on the Christmas tree that had move in the rhythm of breeze coming from outside...

Think about your favorite song. Its beginning. A melody begins which, when you hear it, a beautiful feeling overwhelms you. In the first ten seconds, you already know which song it is and you know how will you feel while listening to it, that's why you continue to listen to it. Pay attention to the changes, to the tone, to the instruments in the song, pay attention to the effort that was needed for those ten seconds.

Yes, I will repeat this through the story several times even though you are aware of it - In those ten seconds ...

... You looked in the mirror. You smiled, decided you are ready for a new day. You have decided to share that mood with others, with people who need it, with a lonely dog on the street, with a gloomy day and yet, so bright in your eyes. The best decisions come from the heart, you don't think, you just make them in those few seconds.

In those ten seconds ...

... Two tiny eyes watched you eagerly. You thought "the cutest puppy ever." You felt bad to just leave him on the street, because, after all, who knows what could happen to him. No. You absolutely can’t leave him. You took the dog in your arms while it doesn’t know how to control its joy. You have decided to take it with you, adopt it and raise it in the warmth of your home. You are already coming up with a name and an ideal explanation that will have to greet your family. Four tireless paws and two bright big eyes still bothered you, but in a good way, of course. Oliver, you thought. You liked that. Distracted by imagination, you also ask the dog if he likes it. Cold evening, but you feel warm.

In those ten seconds ...

... You were sitting in a room, on an extremely uncomfortable armchair. Your day didn't go so well. You’re not in the mood to hang out at a coffee shop your friends have planned. At that moment - it's starting to rain. Some would think "Oh no, not rain again...!", But you? You needed it. The sound of rain drops slowly touching the ground, a cold smell in the air, yes, that's what you needed. Your thoughts are finally relaxed. You like the atmosphere, and no, you're not weird because of that. Someone likes day, someone night, someone sour and someone sweet. Tastes are there to be different, that each taste finds its owner and make that someone special. And however, it took you, only ten seconds, to realize that.

...

Pay attention. Stop. Life is really beautiful. Create it, share it with others, enjoy it. Don't forget what it taught you. Don't waste it. Make the future self grateful to yourself in the present. Every second can be magical for you, if you want to. In those ten seconds, I want you to remember one thing - you are the artist of your future, paint your world, don't lose and don't land your brush to others.

In those ten seconds ...

I have decided to share this with you, and you can understand my thoughts the way you want, I am just glad that...You have come this far.


December 30, 2020 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.