0 comments

Fiction Inspirational

Gratitude

So, the touchy-feely person in Human Resources sends me to a therapist to resolve my anger issues. I’m not angry, I’m just fed up with everyone. They are all such busy bodies and pretend all this interest in everyone else. I don’t think they care one way or the other. (Including my boss who ordered me to go.) He is so worried about saving his own job that he caves in to every ridiculous rule the management team creates. They are all worried someone’s feelings will get hurt. Don’t say this, don’t say that, brother!

Anyway, I am explaining why I feel so frustrated with my office and the shrink says, ‘There must be something you are grateful for. Why don’t you keep a journal for ten days about what makes you grateful? See if your attitude towards things changes.”

I’m grateful I only have to do this for ten days.

Day 1

What am I grateful for today? Well, it is the weekend, so I’m grateful I don’t have to see all those phonies at work. And I’m grateful I don’t have to ride that crowded, filthy train. Of course, the mail was late and I have a package that the carrier would not leave. Now I have to go online and request that it be left at my door on Monday. What a hassle.

Day 2

I went to church this morning. There was hardly anyone there. It’s not like everyone in the congregation doesn’t need a good sermon, and I am grateful that the sermon was good. It was about charity and walking in the other man’s shoes. How often does anyone do that for me? An it is definitely charity letting some of these people sing. Maybe next week we can have a sermon on the widow’s mite for some of these cheapskates.

I am grateful that one of our members who had been really sick was back and looking much better. I missed her and her good singing. I probably should have gone to see her in the hospital.

Day 3

Back to work. I’m grateful that I found a good parking spot at the train station, for once. The train was packed and both stations were madhouses.

The Human Resources woman had to meet with me to confirm that the therapist was acceptable. I said he was, and am grateful I don’t have to start this business all over again.

I noticed Frank was out today and Karla, the woman in the office next to him said his son had been in an accident. He was going to be okay but Frank was going to stay overnight in the hospital with him. I’m grateful for that. I am ashamed that Karla had to remind me of the boy’s name.

The package was waiting inside the screen door when I got home. I’m grateful no porch pirates stole it. It was a picture of my daughter and her husband and their new baby. I’m grateful the baby doesn’t look like her father. He could be I the circus. But he is a good man and good husband. I am very grateful for that.

Day 4

The train was better today. I had to park at the end of the lot though. Frank was back at work, said his son would be alright. I’m grateful for that and that Frank will be okay too. I didn’t realize how much I relied on him being here every day. He looked like he had not slept in days, poor guy. I know how you worry when one of your kids is hurt. Why aren’t drivers more careful? I should also be grateful that nothing that bad has happened to me.

Day 5

The weather was nicer today. That meant there were more panhandlers at the station. I gave them all my cash and didn’t have any left for my coffee. Ah well, I should just be grateful I have a job and have any extra cash at all.

The boss announced that the office staff has to be reduced. That means the newest hires will have to start looking for new jobs. I should write a reference letter for my new assistant. I am grateful I am not being let go.

I worried about those young people on the ride home. At least our HR department is setting up a job and resume posting site.

Day 6

There was no ice on the road today. I was grateful not to slide once on the way to the station.

Frank decided to transfer to the New Mexico office. He doesn’t want any more icy winters. I will be sorry to see him go. I’m grateful I got to work with him for so many years.  

With Frank leaving, that means one less person will be let go. But we will lose all that experience. To save money, the boss will keep the newest kid.

The police found a homeless man dead outside the train station. They had removed the body by the time my train got there. I offered a word of gratitude that I am not in such a sad situation.

Day 7

It’s Friday and I am grateful that I am going to make it through another week. It has been a difficult one. I am grateful for Karla; she is arranging Frank’s going away in addition to helping with the resume workshop for the kids we are letting go. I volunteered to pitch in with that. She seemed glad for the help.

There was a woman with a dead battery at the train station. She was very upset. She didn’t have jumper cables and her phone was dead. We texted her family from my phone and I got out my jumper cables. Unfortunately, she was parked right next to a light pole and the cables wouldn’t reach. Luckily, another fellow gave her a push to an open space and together we got her on her way. I was really grateful for the help that man gave us. There still are kind people around.

Day 8

Yahoo, the weekend. I was grateful for a beautiful morning and a full pot of coffee. I was grateful for a good porch, a comfy chair and the singing birds. I still had chores and errands and the storm windows to take down. I didn’t look forward to climbing up and down that ladder.

Charles from next door saw me hauling it out. He hollered, “Hey Ben, you are too old to be on that ladder.”

I hollered back, “Who else is gonna do this?”

“Henry’s kid, Ashton, took all mine down for forty bucks.”

“That’s a lot for a few windows.”

“Cheaper than a hospital bill.”

I paid Ashton forty bucks and was grateful to have somebody else do that chore. I am grateful for a neighbor like Charles.

Day 9

I skipped yesterday and am writing this from my hospital bed. On the way home from church, I was in a bad accident. The other driver lost control of his car and hit me broadside. Sadly, he was not wearing his seatbelt and did not survive. I must remember to send his family my sympathies.  

Laying here, I am grateful for so many things. I’m grateful for the EMTs, the emergency room staff and the person who invented seat belts. I am really grateful that I am not mangled. But my head did hit the window pretty hard and I can’t seem to hear. The doctor said, rather wrote a note, that my hearing may return.

Oddly enough the sermon at church was about counting your blessings. Maybe I should think about that while I am waiting to be released.

Day 10

This is my last required gratitude entry. I have decided to keep journaling every, well almost every day. My neighbor Charles brought me home and got me settled. We had a one-sided conversation about the instructions from the doctor and when he would check on me. Some members of the church brought a weeks’ worth of food. Ashton gathered my newspaper and mail today. My daughter and the baby will be here tomorrow.

While I was sitting on the porch this evening, grateful to be alive and whole, I heard a mockingbird singing just for the joy of it. I have a lot to be grateful for. That shrink knew what he was talking about.

August 02, 2024 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.