2 comments

General

What to write, what to write! Nothing and I mean nothing, came to mind as I stared at the flickering line that stood like a wall I couldn't get over, the deadline was only a couple of days away and I had nothing. I didn't even have a title for the prompt and I only had a day left, the clock was ticking while the wall in my head grew taller and taller with each passing moment. I sigh and get up to go walk, only taking a light hoodie since spring had graced the Earth. I head to the woods placed behind the cabin that was in the country near a little town. I liked the peace and quiet while the only sounds were that of the animals and plants.

The trees had returned from their seeming death-like slumber as the leaves grew in pale green. The animals yawned as the woke from the silence that enveloped the woods during winter. The babies finally joining their parents in seeing the cruel world of eat or be eaten, obey the strong and oppress the weak

I finally made it to the pond that was a favorite spot for me to clear my head when faced with the monster known as 'writer's block'. I loved to write but nothing was harder than fighting your imagination for control over your ideas. The forest always cured me of my demons and gave me new ideas for books, journals, prompts, etcetera. This time was no different as I watched the colorful fish swim around in the pond and other animals stayed for a drink. It was one of the few places that weren't tainted by mankind and its machines.

I watched as a small pack of wolves walks up to the pond, it was common that they would come to the pond for a drink and the pups would often play in the water. It was amazing how well they would work together, the alpha would keep the pack in order while the beta would enforce the rules given by the alpha. While doing this the beta would keep any stragglers from losing their way and keeping the pups from wandering off.

They soon took their leave and a little bit after a whitetail doe and her fawn came to get a drink. Once they decided they were done, they too took their leave.

Then it hit me, one of the many things I haven't written about, I got up and left my sanctuary to go and escape the horrors of the world in words and sentences.

Now here I was back in the cabin walls that only a few hours ago had closed in on me as the blank screen stared at me. Now I stared back at the screen with a determination that fueled me to type up what you are reading right now. I nearly gave up if it weren't for my haven and those who lived within it. The wolves reminded me that I needed to work with what I had, to use my writer's block as something to write about. How to cure the demon that lurks within.

People never realize how much they have to work with when needed until it's too late. For example, you're trapped in a room with no doors, only a single window. What would you do? Would you yell and scream till the person who took you came and put you out of your misery? Would you try and open the window? No, none of these is the answer, what you would truly need to do is break the window and find something to lay over the opening and crawl through. Then you run, run until you can't run then run some more till you find civilization.

That's were regret comes into play when faced after the fact with all of your choices, it seems so obvious after the fact when your common sense is present. It is almost as if regret was put in us to make us feel stupid, to make us feel like it was so simple when if fact, panic, and fear blinded us from the right choice. It's so horrifying how easily we can save ourselves from destruction, but by being human our emotions take over. But when faced with a decision that would change our lives, we don't think twice and put heart above the head.

For instance, say you had to choose from your mother and/or father or, your girlfriend or boyfriend, you had to choose or all of them would die. It seems impossible, right? Well, it just so happens that the man who had taken your loved ones loves paradoxes and told you that is you could get a paradox past him you could save everyone in the room. What would you say, would you choose one or the other or tell the man a paradox?

So see, this is what I've been trying to say. I've been trying to explain to everyone I know that no matter what happens to humanity, no matter what happens to you, it's no one's fault. Not even yours when you really think of it, it's the fact that no one can stop another in making the butterfly effect of mistakes. No one can stop ignorance, stupidity, or anything else that keeps mankind in the dark about the truth. Greed and want always gets in the way of keeping that veil over our eyes, from keeping people from know what they thought they wanted to know.

What people think they want to know is what really brings that person do to their weakest point. Because of things like paranoia, fear, greed for more push them to their breaking point. But not all human emotions and thoughts are bad, like love although, it could lead to things like Medea.

Medea, for those who aren't familiar with Greek classics, was Jason's wife who had followed him back to his homeland after she had helped him gain the Golden Fleece. She was madly in love with Jason, but once they had made it to Iolcus Jason left Medea for another woman. Enraged with the jealousy she killed Jason's mistress and his children.

In so many ways love can drive a person to do crazy things, and in Medea's case, it can drive a person to murder. It's a risk so many people take, the risk of allowing someone to destroy you, to break you down and see all your weaknesses. And hoping that they are willing to put you back together and love you for you.

Being human can be difficult, but that doesn't mean that you should just give up. It means you push through it because, in the end, you will love the reward given to you for all your hardships. And as morbid as it sounds, death would be the most relaxing thing for a person to experience. In almost every religion known to man, there is a place for the good people, and in so many ways man strives to gain a place in this haven.

So when your time comes and you look death, in whatever depiction he comes in, you will feel at peace. I guess I'm trying to say is that you're not the only one who has bad days or that you're not the only one to regret something. You are not the only one to feel love whether it was a high school crush or your soulmate. We all have days that we either love or want to forget.

You're not alone no matter what. Writer's block is not what it seems.

March 14, 2020 21:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

James Offenha
21:11 Mar 25, 2020

Very philosophical. I liked it, but wanted more urgency. What would happen if he didn’t write the story? Would he/she have to move back home with their Mom and Dad? What’s at stake? Didn’t know about Greek myth. I liked the ending though

Reply

Asher Winters
02:30 Apr 14, 2020

Don't know, I like to link my stories together in some sort of way. Whether that means to put a character in a certain story or playing it out as a sequel. I like to us the same main character name and description though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.