24 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Friendship

Judi didn’t see herself the way the others saw her. The lens from which she looked solely captured the broad brushstrokes. The paint was matted and clumpy on the canvas. Her rare friends, and even her myriad acquaintances, perceived the fine details, the labored nuances. There was an understanding that she was worldly, educated, a beauty who had livened up dance halls, the decks of cruise ships, dive bars, and many quiet libraries. In these waning years, filled with less human interaction, she would be found tucked in a corner, hidden by rows of forgotten books, the ones yearning to be touched and opened. Some days, she would relent, running her fingers along the rigid spines, the musty odor heavy with its intruding. She read for endless hours, soaking up knowledge of Victorian calamities, sci-fi amusements, modern-day misadventures, and horror stories like the original Prometheus monster.

When she tired of flipping the physical pages of the worn and tattered novels, she found a trove of short stories online that captured her attention, tided her spirit over in the hours between dawn and dusk. The days of the calendar fell away with haste, the vibrance of spring giving way to the desultory boredom of summer. She lost herself in images carefully crafted with words, voraciously consuming tales of all genres, lingering in the misspoken truths and half-dilemmas.

One morning that was brisker than June was known to favor, she caught a hurried glimpse of her profile in the stately mirror that hung ostentatiously in the foyer of the grand library. She winced at the sight of the person she no longer knew. It was a blur of grey, and wrinkles and a body softening that caused her to recoil at the reflection. Time had been unkind in its brevity. She wanted to recapture something lost, or at least make peace with the here and now.

Finding her dark corner of the library, she sat stiffly, thinking of the preceding images that had vanished, youthful decades lost to memory. As she started to read, she took note of the odd synchronicities, the shared experiences that are binding. She lost and found her courage in the collective understanding. There is a need to document the repetitive cycles of life – new love, familial betrayal, fears that lurk in darkness, stories of mirth, awakenings, unfair deaths and discovery. She toyed with the last idea, wondering if she would be afforded time and circumstance for a continual unearthing of living.

“What is that you’re reading?”

Startled, she looked upward, eyebrows raised, to find a younger gentleman leaning in to read the title of the book.

“Oh, it’s Dostoyevsky. Crime and Punishment. Surely, you’ve read it.” Her voice halted in the statement of fact.

“Trying to remember” he replied as he settled into the open space next to her, cajoling her to share the plausible details. “Tell me about it.”

She liked the looks of him, a freshness reserved in its guardedness and abandon, his eyes full of wonder and reproof. She felt like she knew him or had known him. There was an eagerness in the acceptance.

Tapping her fingers lightly on the table, she let the awkwardness give way to comfort. It was a gentleness that she eased into, a calculated bartering. She might have something to offer and to receive in return.

“To be honest, it’s about this misled bloke who thinks it’s somehow justified and warranted to knock off a miserly old lady because she’s a tad cruel and impatient, along the lines of doing something for the greater good.”

“Ahhh,” he twisted the thought around in his mind, letting it form and take hold.

‘But of course, it’s a spiral to nowhere. He ends up killing the old woman and a girl who he wasn’t anticipating being present. It’s a sordid mess that leads to paranoia, second-guessing, a self-induced illness. It rots him from the inside, swallows him up wholly until he’s resigned to ask for forgiveness.”

She looked at him direct, the silence sitting between them. She thought of her unattended betrayals when her bluntness was all-consuming. It wasn’t intended; she needed someone to understand.

“It doesn’t sound like a light read,” he attempted to laugh it off, but his footing got caught in the curiosity. Taking off his ball cap, he ran his fingers through his dark hair; studying her in the moment. “Do you think he was remiss?”

She in kind laughed a retort, “It’s never recommended, taking people for granted. Actions will themselves out. Individuals have to live with stored consequences, the cumulative hurt. Most people aren’t willing to see past it.”

“I can see it clearly. He was tirelessly wrong. In betraying her, he betrayed himself, and there could never be any peace in that equation. Was he forgiven?” he asked it with a searching, seeking to know if things could be righted.

She looked askance and then back at him. She felt the need to be meticulous with her words, to ensure the weightiness of the outcome was borne and recognized.

“He suffered. He was punished, but in the end he found redemption. It was love – that transient of all emotions that delivered him from his own vices,” her gaze fell on his countenance. She watched him, sensing a kindred connection.

In that moment, she represented and projected everything that she was and still had the potential of being – intelligent, charming, beautiful, glib, open, strong, giving, funny, and kind. Her sum of wisdom was more than the mirror out front could hold. It was even more than the books could portend. There was a candor unspoken between them that they both clung to, that moment you meet the person you’ve been waiting to find again.

“I didn’t catch your name,” she said, holding out her hand.

“Gary. It’s nice to meet you,” he said it with deference and meaning, reaching for her touch.

She proffered, “I’m Judi,” hesitating she continued, “Let’s go grab a coffee across the street.” 

They both looked at their watches, noticing it was past the normal coffee-drinking hours.

“Oh what the hell, come have a whiskey with me,” her face broke into a smile that she had held in reserve, waiting for the perfect opportunity to render it useful.

“There’s no arguing that one,” he smiled with a warmth and understanding, knowing that there were greater things than fiction. 

He let the words escape his lips, “Life is meant to be lived now. Let’s hope Raskolnikov figured that out.”

She gave him a look with an abrupt turn of her head, only to be met with a wink.

May 21, 2024 01:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Ken Cartisano
02:39 May 28, 2024

I have several bones to pick with you 'Harland.' Okay, only one. But first, I have to tell you what a marvelous story this is. Because, even though I never read 'Crime and Punishment', can't even spell Dosteovsky (as you can see), I felt like a pesty servant unwittingly forced to eavesdrop on the rare occurrence of two kindred souls meeting, perhaps inconveniently, for the first time. Above and beyond the story itself, this is, in my ignorant, unwashed, unrefined and obnoxious opinion, (be it ever so noble), some of finest set of words e...

Reply

Harland Chambers
14:11 May 28, 2024

Between the feedback provided by you and Trudy, I am flattered. You always hope that your work resonates in some way, and I am appreciative of your detailed comments. Thank you very much, Ken!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Becca Christian
14:18 May 30, 2024

Great story! Judi's character really shines and I wanted to know how their friendship progressed! Beautiful writing and deep insights about life. Well done!

Reply

Harland Chambers
15:28 May 30, 2024

That's very nice of you to say, Becca! If I've left you wanting to know more about Judi and their friendship, then perhaps I've hit the mark 😊 Thank you for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gloria .
06:36 May 30, 2024

Lovely story, I appreciate the poetic tone of your work. Some dialogue tags may need editing—those pesky punctuation rules that I am still wrapping my head around. Thank you for the reflections on the individuals we are as time passes.

Reply

Harland Chambers
13:08 May 30, 2024

Thanks, Gloria, for reading and liking my story! It is most appreciated. I try to edit it to perfection, but did notice a mistake with the dialogue. You can't edit once it's approved, so it will stay unfortunately. Again, very appreciative!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L. D.
18:51 May 29, 2024

I love how you slipped in the "clincher" (that he had sought her out just as much as she was reaching for him) right at the end. It was like reading Gary's wink.

Reply

Harland Chambers
19:09 May 29, 2024

I think you’re onto something, LD 😉 Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:23 May 25, 2024

Hi, Harland ! Brilliant first entry here. I love how you plunge us into the world and thoughts of your characters. I think that was well done. The flow was very smooth too. Wonderful job !

Reply

Harland Chambers
17:54 May 25, 2024

Appreciative, Alexis! Your comments are very kind. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
14:35 May 25, 2024

An excellent character piece, good use of the classic novel.

Reply

Harland Chambers
17:52 May 25, 2024

Thanks, Carol! Much appreciated. Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite reads.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
15:47 May 24, 2024

I liked all the descriptions of how everyone was feeling in the midst of interacting. Just wondering how that works with the maddening rule of "show don't tell?"

Reply

Harland Chambers
16:05 May 24, 2024

They say rules are made to be broken :) Thanks for reading and liking, Joe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
10:43 May 24, 2024

Love the story. Nice work.

Reply

Harland Chambers
00:53 May 25, 2024

Thanks. Darvico!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:57 May 23, 2024

Hi there. Welcome. Thanks for reading mine. My one to this selection of prompts isn't in yet. I loved this story and interpretation of the prompt. I am an ESOL teacher so can't help myself if I see words not used in the right contexts. We want to use novel words when writing but do check the meanings before you write them or when editing. Below are some pointers for you. wonder and reprove. 'reproof'? 'wonder' is a noun in this sentence and so should the next word be. Reprove is a verb. She let herself think 'she thought'- more concise ...

Reply

Harland Chambers
12:50 May 23, 2024

Thanks, Kaitlyn, for taking the extra time to provide detailed feedback. Appreciative of your suggestions and have made some edits. It's great to receive ideas from other writers because there are always opportunities to tighten stories. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
01:39 May 23, 2024

Insight and sensitivity make this slice of life moment feel special and vivid. It draws the reader into engaging with the story. The details and uniqueness of the woman explaining her interpretation of the book and the younger man sharing an interest make this have originality. Well done!

Reply

Harland Chambers
12:51 May 23, 2024

Thank you, Kristi, for reading. Appreciate your kind feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:17 May 23, 2024

Very nice submission. Thanks for liking my Secret Secret Agent Man And the follow. And liking the Passing.

Reply

Harland Chambers
12:51 May 23, 2024

Thank you, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
02:19 May 21, 2024

Two ships slightly adjusting speed and, if only for a moment, adjusting their course to share the same sea lane. Lovely description of the old woman and the charming younger man. Welcome to Reedsy, Harland

Reply

Harland Chambers
02:24 May 21, 2024

Thanks, Trudy. It is appreciated more than you know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.