Bumping into each other

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

Chris awoke in his hotel room to the ringing of the telephone from reception. It was eight pm. It had been a perfect night’s sleep. The bed was so comfortable. He had arrived in time for dinner. Although he ate little, he had enjoyed the food. It was hot and tasty. Now he was looking forward to the wedding this afternoon. But first things first, the morning run. Chris slipped out of bed and pulled on his running gear. Grabbed the card that opened the door. No one was around in reception. He walked to the main door. Took a huge deep breath then started his run. 

To avoid injury, Chis kept his speed down until he had covered half a mile. Then he gradually increased his speed until he reached the pace he wanted to run at. He knew the area and his plan was to get to the canal, then do two miles down the canal about turn run back, go for breakfast. He had settled into a good pace down the canal bank. As Chris passed a lane that joined the canal path, Chris saw someone coming towards him. He was too late to dodge the person, and he found himself flying through the air. Then there was an almighty splash as he fell into the canal. 

The canal was deep, and he had to swim to the next landing stage, where he hauled himself out of the water. Standing on the landing stage was a beautiful lady looking at him. Her hand shot out to help him to his feet. 

‘I am so sorry,’ she said. ‘I should have looked before I joined the canal path.’

Chris replied, ‘it’s okay I needed a bath, anyway.’

‘My name Elsie, I can’t apologise enough to you. It was all my fault I should have looked before joining the path. I do this run every Saturday morning and meet no one at this time of day.’

‘Thank you, Elsie, for your apology, but these things happen. I am not hurt, I will go back to my hotel and have a shower. You never know what is in these canals.’

‘You can come back to my house. It’s just around the corner.’

‘Thank you for the offer, but I have clean dry clothes at my hotel.’

‘Thank you for being so understanding. I promise I will look before I run around this corner again on Saturday mornings.’

Chris laughed. ‘It has been a pleasure meeting you, Elsie. One day we may meet again. I hope we do.’ 

Chris jogged back to his hotel, leaving a trail of water behind him. He arrived at the hotel. Walked in the front entrance. The receptionist laughed at him, dripping. 

‘We have a swimming pool downstairs in the gym, sir. It’s been open since seven o’clock this morning,’ laughed the receptionist.

‘A good-looking lady ran into me and I fell into the canal. She even offered to take me back to her house,’ laughed Chris.

‘We would advise, sir, that you should use the laundry service. You never know what is in that canal. If you bring your running gear in the laundry bag, we will get it washed for you and sent back up to your room this afternoon,’ said the receptionist. 

Chris walked towards the lift, leaving a trail of water behind him. He got to his room, amazingly he found the card to let him into the room in his shorts. But no matter how he tried, the room door would not unlock. He returned to reception to get another card, leaving a trail behind him. After that, he took a long shower, ensuring that he removed all the canal water. He got dressed, put the running gear into the laundry bag, and took it down to reception, on the way to breakfast. 

After breakfast, Chris went for a wander around the town, looking at all the shops. He felt spotless after his shower and scrub to remove all the residue from the canal. At eleven o’clock, he went back to his hotel to get ready for the wedding. After another shower, and pampering himself with lots after shave and other deodorants that would attract the opposite sex.

The one thing that Chris planned to do was not to be late at the church. He had heard of many friendships that had fallen apart after a friend had turned up late to a wedding. At precisely one forty-five pm, Chris strode into the one church in the village, to be met by a fierce-looking lady who handed him the order of service. Then asked, ‘Which side are you here for, bride or groom?’

‘Groom,’ replied Chris, trying to look as relaxed as possible. 

‘Please sit on the right please, the wedding will begin at two pm,’ replied the fierce lady.’

Chris walked into the church. He admired the stained-glass windows and took a seat as directed. He then settled down to wait for the proceedings to begin. The wedding went well, everybody turned up on time. When the vicar asked does anyone object to this wedding, no one said a word. 

All the wedding party went to the village hall for the reception. After a sumptuous meal, the speeches were awful. The speakers should have gone to Toastmasters to learn how to give a speech. The staff took care of rearranging the hall for the evening, dancing. The bride and groom enjoyed their first dance, while the rest of the guests were tasked with making it a wonderful party. 

The band played some old favourites of Chris, which he enjoyed dancing to. But he had met no one that really took his fancy. When the band was having a break, Chris went to the bar to order a round for his table. Having got his order on a tray and paid for it, he turned around and started walking towards his table. He saw the woman walking towards him before she walked into him, causing him to drop the tray of drinks. 

‘Oh, I am so sorry. I should look where I am going,’ said the lady. 

‘Accidents happen,’ replied Chris, thinking why twice in one day? 

The bar staff had the mess of glasses removed and cleaned the floor quickly.

‘Let me pay for a replacement round,’ said the lady. 

Chris thought for a moment, ‘are you Elsie?’

‘How do you know me?’ replied the lady.

‘You look different with your clothes on,’ replied Chris, ‘But you pushed me into the canal this morning.’

‘Oh God, I thought you looked familiar,’ replied Elsie. ‘What can I say apart from sorry again? I have ruined your suit, it’s soaking with drink.’

‘It’s okay, I am getting used to it,’ laughed Chris. 

‘Let me take you home and clean you up,’ replied Elsie, smiling.

‘Won’t your husband or partner complain about you bringing a strange man home?’ asked Chris.

‘No, I have not got a husband, partner, or boyfriend. No one will complain, I can assure you.’ replied Elsie.

Chris and Elsie crept out of the reception and went to Elsie’s house. Nobody saw them until the next morning.

August 21, 2024 19:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.